1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said. I can understand Buck feeling uncomfortable about singling the fellow out. His idea of offering one of his own masks to the gentleman was excellent, however. I rarely drive during the current crisis, except to check the mail or do curbside pickup at a restaurant, but I keep a couple of extra masks in my SUV. Of course, I haven't gone inside of a business in about 4 months, not that I don't want to. I doubt if I'll be in Buck's situation anytime soon.

Unless everyone going out in public wears the masks, the pandemic in Texas will get worse. Heck, it might get a lot worse anyway, thanks to Abbott's fear of trump getting his feelings hurt because the governor made masks mandatory. I keep hoping that things will turn around. For a brief time, it looked like it would, but tens of thousands in Texas and elsewhere decided that masks weren't needed. So the nightmare continues.

Maybe everyone suddenly wearing masks, including trump's supporters, as well as social distancing will have a big impact in a couple of weeks. It'll take that long to notice a difference. My fingers are crossed. We are sick and tired of being in this situation. A frustrating as it is, the alternative is worse.

RayRay10, deb4rockets and DVauthrin like this.
  2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I agree with you, especially considering the first offense results in a warning. That means you would have to catch the same person in the same public space or business not wearing a mask twice for them to receive the $250 fine.

#1762 DVauthrin, Jul 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I appreciate it as a tone setter regardless. It felt like all of Texas was pretending this was over despite our cases not declining once, our cases are on a exponential growth trajectory and people still act like things are getting back to normal, between the hospitals getting packed and now our assholes Gov MONTHS late calling for statewide masks, perhaps people will begin to take it serious again.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

We are not just dumb. We are exceptionally dumb.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Must have been waiting for the Criminal in Chief to OK it?

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Manifist Dumbstudy.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It’s mind boggling. For the life of me I cannot understand what the **** is going on with this country, between this and things like healthcare/maternal leave, gun regulations, it makes no ****ing sense, how are we so catastrophically behind on things nearly all highly developed countries, and even many developing countries have down with ease.

We accept this **** like it’s normal but it’s not normal at ALL, this country is too developed to be this unorganized, corrupt, and idiotic politically. To the point that during a pandemic our president stands before us shoving his thumb up his ass with a drooling smile, with nearly all of the republican representives head over heels to imitate him, with an obscene number of people maniacally cheering, and we just accept this as as valid?? What in the ever loving **** is going on???

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

That is a straight Texas story right there, tell you wot.

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  9. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

10. DVauthrin

I appreciate the order by Abbott, but I’m not optimistic those who haven’t been wearing masks to date will suddenly have a change of heart when the first offense only results in a warning. That means police officers in outdoor public settings and security guards at businesses will have to first issue a warning and give the individual a mask. The individual would have to refuse to put it on to earn the $250 fine. There are going to be warnings, but my fear is the same individual will either return to the same public place or business a few days or weeks later or simply decides to shop elsewhere because they don’t fear the punishment.

#1770 DVauthrin, Jul 2, 2020
  11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Make it $1,000 fine no warning and they might think twice about pleasing a President who doesn't really give a **** about them other than getting their vote.

RayRay10 and DVauthrin like this.
  13. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

#1773 deb4rockets, Jul 2, 2020
    RayRay10 and joshuaao like this.
  14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

#1774 deb4rockets, Jul 2, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Santa Clara County meeting that exposed 40 principals to coronavirus raises red flags

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/More-than-40-Bay-Area-school-principals-in-15381335.php

Just thinking about hundreds of students, teachers, and staff in each school has made me decide it's not worth the risk as a
    substitute teacher working in over 25 schools. My specialty is working with children with special needs, which requires close contact.

If I work in 3 or 4 different schools a week that exposes me to far too many people for my comfort. It's sad because I love my job and all the kids. I'm really going to miss them. I already do.

RayRay10 and bcast89 like this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Good with this...but the next guy?

Am I supposed to be the *******? Or the guy who calms everything down?

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Governor Abbott has been exposed as an *******.

He rushed to open up and went out of his way to not make masks compulsive. He overlooked science and the experts.

He was grossly wrong and his order today highlights it for everyone to see.

Still I will give him credit, he backed off and issued the order like a decent person would.

Lina Hidalgo has been consistently right... she has also showed strong leadership even when it wasn’t popular.

18. DVauthrin

I would follow the same steps with the next person. If the individual won’t accept your act of kindness, then reporting them is fair game in my book. Doing the right thing isn’t always easy or comfortable, and the person’s unwillingness to wear a mask can affect your health, too. Not to mention, the store should have someone at the door that ensures no one enters without a mask, and provides one for them if necessary. If they refuse to wear it, they shouldn’t be allowed in the store.

#1778 DVauthrin, Jul 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  19. Buck Turgidson

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

Lol he’s being called a liberal b**** all over Facebook. I want to be nice but good god people are fcking stupid.

RayRay10, Nook and conquistador#11 like this.