1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

States are starting to open up and we already are seeing tourist heavy areas pushing for less restrictions. Unless the fatalities really jump in the next 30 days, I believe you will see people traveling.

Not all summer vacations are because kids are off either. Every attorney I work with takes summer vacation out of town regardless.

I hope I am wrong but people are getting restless and pressure will be applied to open up malls and restaurants... and then travel will happen in June-August.

The President is in a tough spot. If the virus flares up and we have to shut down again, he is toast. He will get the blame because of his statements and lack of leadership. He needs the country to open up AND the economy to be “ok” and for the death rate to slow.... if it doesn’t and it remains the same or gets worse, he is looking at 150,000 or more deaths and people will want a change.

What a turbulent time to be a President.

2. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on where you live.

In some places you cannot go into restaurants. Parks are closed. Any gatherings above 5-6 are not allowed and face masks are mandatory at grocery stores or “necessary businesses”.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Bill Gates yesterday. May the odds ever be in our favor.

RayRay10, Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Bill Gates, funder of the Chinese puppets at the WHO and the wildly inaccurate IHME model that has us all locked in our homes.

Bill Gates who wants to test and track all of us until we can get his vaccine

States are realizing we should have gone the Sweden route all along and are starting to reopen. Individuals and businesses can can decide for themselves what mitigation measures and risks they want to take.

sugrlndkid and cml750 like this.
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No point in reading further.

6. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Shame on you.

Oct 3, 2018,06:50am EDT
    The New Forbes 400 Philanthropy Score: Measuring Billionaires' Generosity
    Notable top givers include Bill Gates, who has donated $35.8 billion to his charitable foundation, more than anyone else in the world; that figure is 27% of his fortune as of September 7, 2018, the day we locked in net worths for the Forbes 400.

Seventy-six of the list members received a score of 1, including President Donald Trump, meaning they gave away less than $30 million or less than 1% of their fortune to date.

Trump is the opposite of Philanthropist. Even in philanthropy he finds a way to con others for his personal benefits.

December 18, 2018 at 3:55 PM EST

President Trump has agreed to shut down his embattled personal charity and to give away its remaining money amid allegations that he used the foundation for his personal and political benefit, New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood announced Tuesday.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/denizc...ropy-score-measuring-billionaires-generosity/

AroundTheWorld, RayRay10 and Deckard like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Hmm Bill Gates must have hypnotized the governor of Mississippi...:rolleyes:

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Its the insane path trump has led people...

9. NewRoxFan

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I keep on seeing people touting Sweden but Sweden has twice the death rate that the US has.
    https://www.newsweek.com/sweden-coronavirus-rate-1501250
    "
    SWEDEN'S CORONAVIRUS DEATH RATE NEARLY TWICE THAT OF U.S. AS TRUMP SAYS COUNTRY 'PAYING HEAVILY' FOR NOT HAVING LOCKDOWN"

Also Sweden has universal health care and a much smaller population than we do.

There is another major country that has taken the route of not locking things down which I never hear those pushing for reopening and that is Brazil.
    How well is Brazil doing?
    https://www.foxnews.com/world/coronavirus-brazil-mass-graves-worst-hit

Coronavirus in Brazil leads to mass graves, fears country could become worst-hit in world: 'We are in a state of utter disaster'

So are we more like Sweden or more like Brazil?

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You are breathtakingly ignorant. Clearly, any hope that you will look at a variety of genuine news sources before posting the nonsense you post here is a forlorn hope. Why you revel in lies and bizarre conspiracy theories is a mystery. I’m sure that in “real life” you are a different individual than the one you exhibit in D&D. That outside of this forum, you care that doing what you suggest here would kill hundreds of thousands of your fellow citizens, and quite possibly people around you that you care about. That you genuinely don’t care just doesn’t seem possible.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Nobody's going to go to these restaurants.

Oh sure, you'll get the MAGA militia packing a few Stuckeys or whatever initially in order to Pwn the libs, but my impression of the restaurant business is that's not worth the effort to run a 50% capacity restaurant, the business model just doesn't work that way.

RayRay10, IBTL and KingCheetah like this.
  13. NewRoxFan

Maybe they should hold off opening the state... oops, they opened up yesterday.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

TheFreak and Deckard like this.
  15. Major

Major Member

There are several issues with the Sweden comparisons, the two big ones being (and these are opposing arguments):

1. If they are trying for herd immunity, the death rate *should* be higher. The theory would be to accept a higher price now, but then when the rest of the world gets hit with a second wave or multiple breakouts, they will be immune, so the long-term death rate would be lower. We wouldn't be able to really see if that's true for many more months.

2. They claim that they are completely misunderstood and not going for herd immunity. The argument there is that the population there listens to government advice and while they haven't locked things down, people are still staying home and its having the same effect. Travel is down 90+% there just as it is everywhere else, for example. They say their death rate is largely failures with protecting their elderly community homes rather than the general strategy.

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with either, but the "Sweden is just staying open and now everyone is dying!" thing is misunderstood.

jiggyfly and Invisible Fan like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I'm not sure about nobody. I have a relative in Florida who posted just in the last few hours about going to a restaurant in Clearwater overlooking a beach. She posted a pic and the restaurant looked like it had a decent crowd, it was deck seating, and the beach looked crowded.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Major

Major Member

If nothing else, this virus has shown us who on the BBS relies exclusively on misinformed or intentionally misleading conspiracy theorists on twitter as their only source of news.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I agree with your points and apologize if I gave the impression that everyone is dying in Sweden. That said I don't think it's the shining example that those upholding it are either. The other key thing about Sweden is that they have a universal health care and a very good system so entering this they were healthier than the US is.

This is why I brought up Brazil. It also has universal health care but besides that size wise and demographics is more similar to the US than Sweden is. I think it's safe to say that things are not going well in Brazil.

19. Major

Major Member

Yeah - sorry, I didn't mean you. Just that Sweden has been used by both sides as a model of something or other - either freedom or death. But I think in general, both sides get it wrong with them and their situation is more complex than often is mentioned. The far-right (ex, Commodore and his twitter regurgitations) has latched on to them, but their Prime Minister has specifically challenged that: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/29/sweden-brushes-off-far-right-support-221193

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nook likes this.