1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As we start to "re-open"

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ThatBoyNick, Apr 24, 2020.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Just need to address this Trumpy canard about testing, for what is probably the hundredth time on this board. (I can't speak to anything else you've said because I only skim D&D anymore.)

Testing does not "increase" cases; it identifies them. The cases exist independent of testing. Testing helps us understand the severity of the problem and where to focus resources. But the more reliable metric is the percentage of tests coming back positive, which is on the rise like crazy. And that percentage has everything to do with community spread and nothing to do with an increase in testing or reported cases.

And we're not doing anywhere nearly enough testing because asymptomatic carriers don't get tested unless they've been in direct contact with someone that's tested positive, and that doesn't include interactions with strangers because there's no way to contract trace with strangers. We also know now that symptomatic cases are most contagious a couple of days before showing symptoms, so they infect people before they know they're infected, and that also results in less tests being conducted on people that have been exposed to the virus.

So all those people partying at the beach or singing their hearts out at churches, mask-free and crammed together indoors? We have no idea how many asymptomatic cases, all of which are increasingly contagious, exist. And when it spreads widely, like it is in so many states now, cases are underreported, without exception. In fact they're always undercounted without exception, hot spot or not, asymptomatic or pre-symptomatic. They are always undercounted.

Further, we know now the testing is not perfect and produces many false negatives, while there are no known incidents of false positives. And those that are positive but test negative are not counted among the official tally of cases either. In addition to many people I know that have tested positive, I have two friends that have been diagnosed with Covid-19, and that suffered/are suffering badly from it, though they tested negative. Their cases are unreported cases like all false negatives are unreported.

But the idea that more tests will result in more cases is just another false Trump talking point. Testing aids in identifying more of the cases that were there to begin with but it does not create the cases.

joshuaao, Rashmon, IBTL and 9 others like this.
  2. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

IBTL, RayRay10, malakas and 2 others like this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Our cases are skyrocketing in the US and Texas. From June 13th to July 13th the USA added 647,059 new cases, Texas added 105,574 new cases, and Harris County added 31,305 new cases.

Nobody in their right mind would even considering reopening schools at this point. Countries across Europe shut schools down, locked down borders, and closed businesses during a time their numbers were far far less than this.

Trump is an idiot.

RayRay10, DVauthrin and malakas like this.
  4. malakas

malakas Member

Damn!!!!! 31k cases in Houston in a month??:eek::eek::eek:
    What the..even if the hospitalisation rate is half of what is expected you will need thousands of ventilators.

RayRay10, DVauthrin and deb4rockets like this.
  5. Outlier

Outlier Member

Why the **** is bigtexxx's focus New York vs Texas? Who the **** cares? Its one country.

deb4rockets likes this.
  6. Outlier

Outlier Member

I havent followed bigtexxx until about a month or so. This wouldnt surprise me but can someone confirm if he was spewing " the country is doing so well" before he moved on to "Texas is doing so well"? It would be so predictable of this fool.

And is he really still saying deaths are low? We have 860 deaths today and its not even over. Oh wait hes only focused on Texas for some god damn reason.

deb4rockets likes this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Well, there was this

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/d-d-coronavirus-thread.303988/#post-12869871

BmwM3, malakas and RayRay10 like this.
  8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

One of the best analogies I heard to explain this was if just because people don’t take pregnancy test doesn’t mean that there aren’t people getting pregnant.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

The liberal pile-on approach is is full effect! Protip - just because a lot of uninformed people agree with you, doesn't mean you're right. Get out of your echo chamber, folks.

In great news, the fast-track our leadership has put on a vaccine seems to be paying off. Some great news today out of Moderna.

Stock market booming!

10. malakas

malakas Member

He is not worth your time and energy. Top 10 most moronic posters.
    Ignore him and he will go away eventually.

deb4rockets and RayRay10 like this.
  11. Outlier

Outlier Member

When 95% of this board is piling on you, its not a liberal pile on... Its a human pile on. How arrogant of you to assume that majority of the people who disagree with you are liberals. Its quite an easy deflection to use to dismiss how wrong you are (of which you will NEVER admit)

And tell me, what good is an economy to you personally anyway?

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Trump is the biggest spreaders of BS during the entire pandemic.

RayRay10 and IBTL like this.
  13. bigtexxx

No discussion about the potential vaccine? Is this a panic p*rn only zone?

14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Coronavirus cases booming! That's the most important thing right now for those of us actually concerned about the people we love. I don't know about you. I guess you wouldn't even care if they were hospitalized and had damage afterwards, as long as they didn't die.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Didn't you hear? Trump was "sarcastically joking" about stopping more tests.

His supporters will defend that talking point until they can abandon that ship wreck like the weasels they are.

RayRay10 and deb4rockets like this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

We are talking about right now!!!! No vaccine, cases skyrocketing, and Trump bullying schools to reopen.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. bigtexxx

no credit goes to Trump for fast tracking the vaccine? I detect bias!

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

I detect stupidity. Isnt that the obvious thing for Trump to do?

AleksandarN and DVauthrin like this.
  19. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

HO HO HO
    First of all, Batman, let me begin by saying that you are first place in my heart and always will be. We are bosom buddies for life.

I agree with several points you raise above. When testing is increasing fast, more tests doesn't signify more NEW cases. It signifies more DETECTED cases. When the media says that new cases are spiking, that is probably false. The reason it's false is due to the lack of testing early on, we had no idea how many cases there actually were. The undetected cases were huge early on, now they've shrunk due to very high testing numbers. Asymptomatics were not tested early on, now they are. The number of DETECTED cases is rising due to more testing. That's obvious. The number of undetected + detected cases (total cases) is likely down big, similar to daily deaths. Deaths by the way as close as we can get to a "number-of-test-normalized" estimate for the spread of the virus. Liberals have a big reason to push fear -- to win the Presidential election. Biden is awful when the public sees him -- keeping him under wraps, and Trump under COVID pressure -- is the Democrats' strategy. So who is playing politics with the virus again? Hint: It's not Republicans.

Going around acting like a Karen and shaming people for socializing is kind of ridiculous (Your shaming of Russell Westbrook in the GARM was particularly ugly). It's easy for many people to fall victim to illusion of control... i.e. overestimating their ability to control events. Viruses spread like wildfire and are hard to stop. Thinking that avoiding the beach or church is going to stop the spread is kinda silly.

Positivity rates for testing is all messed up right now with many labs only reporting positive cases. See the stories on Florida today. There's no consistent tests or reporting going on, so looking at positivity rates is flawed.

We also know that the problem isn't Trump voters. The virus counts and deaths are clustered almost EXCLUSIVELY in heavy democrat population centers. In Texas, the high counts are in inner city Dallas, Houston, El Paso, and the RGV. Not many Trump voters there. Same story is true in Florida - most cases are in Miami Dade and Broward counties. Mainly democrats. The NYC tri-state area is far and away the most deadly place for COVID. Almost all Democrats. So check your stats, bud.

GOOD DAY

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

like this administration.. this thread is a
    morbid comedy spot.

What a fuc*king dumpster fire
    Don't forget to register to vote please