1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As the last minutes showed, our fate ultimately lies with Harden.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by drowsy12, Apr 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I'm honestly very worried about Harden. Matthew's defense has been good this series but Harden was such a monster in the regular season. Constantly torching any defense. He should have no problem with Portland's defense.

He just looks so timid. Times when he looks to be going for a drive, he pulls up for a 12 foot shot. I rather him attack the basket at all times. Keep Lopez and Matthews on their heels. Harden's game is centered in transition and getting to the line, he needs to get to the foul line. 5 attempts per game is not aggressive enough.

2. bmt1334

bmt1334 Member

Im beginning to think something is wrong off the court. What could it be though.

3. Zergling

Zergling Member

Well whatever it is, thankfully doesn't affect him in the clutch.

4. kfmfe04

kfmfe04 Member

I'd actually prefer a Harden that shows up for the first 45 minutes of the game rather than the last 3...

5. JazzLakerHater

At this point, I'm just not expecting him to much now. Matthews has clearly gotten into his head and he just seems timid. He has played a little better in Portland than in Houston, so there is that.

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know why he wasn't in the huddle. That is weird.

Maybe he is just exhausted as well from working so hard on both ends of the court haha! But it seems McHale took him out for a bit after he let Batum cut right behind for an easy score. That might be why he was pissed.

It also seems he was resting on offense, but working on D for the most part.I have a theory why Harden is struggling beyond Matthews:

Harden is actually trying to play D.

He doesn't have much to like about his situation. His number suck. He feels like he is a disappointment. Not the leader anymore as clearly the players respect Howard more. In fact I saw Lin wave off Harden to pass to Dwight in the 4th. Harden was passive. Maybe it's fatigue, maybe it's mental. It doesn't matter.

What Harden has to decide isn't how to score more, it's how bad does he want to be the guy who wins championships, or is he happy just being top dog on a team that doesn't win much, or being the role-player guy whose job is just to provide offense.

7. moose

moose Member

Harden has money on this series.

8. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I agree with this. He's afraid of going in the paint because he's not getting the same calls but I think he has to start thinking of himself like a PG. He needs to drive with the intention to create. He may score but he can always create as well. Just because you aren't scoring doesn't mean it's worthless to get all the way into the paint.

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

It was great to see Harden playing defense in crunch time. I wish we saw that more. About the huddle, it seems like a classic situation of a superstar pouting to me.

10. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Is it weird that I would rather have Troy Daniels take more shots than Harden?

11. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Matthews is ALL OVER HIM ALL THE TIME. Matthews is Portland's Pat Bev but he's a lot bigger, a veteran, and a have a HUGE EFFECT on each game. Modern day Bruce Bowen / Shane Battier etc

Harden needs help. Dallas / San Antonio don't have that type of player AFAIK. They just have to get through Portland and you will see a different Harden

12. bonny1

bonny1 Member

It's on him no doubt, because our coach does not know any play in 4th quarter other than ISO. Either have a 30pt lead going into 4th, or win by defense, because ISO will NOT work.

13. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

If Troy Daniels were to take 25 shots, that means they were good, quality looks.

The one thing Harden has though is the ability to create his own shot. However, his shot making has been atrocious this series.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stop with the one sentence threads.