1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As insane as I am going to sound about our Texans...

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Big Dogzz, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Big Dogzz

Big Dogzz Member

Before I say what I need to say please let me first start out by saying I am not a homer nor am I a complete pessimist. When we were 4-2 I was not jumping for joy because I was able to see the obvious flaws on this team but now that we are 4-6 as frustrated as I was about the last game I have not jumped off the bandwagon. I am just a die hard Texan fan and will continue to be so through thick and through thin.

But as someone who loves football I stumbled upon this video on NFL.com and was quite intrigued by it:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-the-coaches/09000d5d81c56340/Secret-formula-for-NFL-success

Basically it displays what's called a TOXIC rating (Big plays differential + Turnover differential) and through it you can see a very high likelihood of what that team's fate is going to be. What I was shocked about the most in this video is that at 4-6 we are 11th in the league. The other thing I found shocking was that of all our remaining opponents left only the Philadelphia Eagles (ranked 2nd) are the only team above us right now as we speak.

So with that said as we speak and please all furious emotions aside (though I feel you and completely understand) but please with complete objectivity I ask you is there any reason for me or any Texans fans who want to believe that maybe, just maybe there is reason to think and feel that the season is not over for our Texans.

11/28- vs. Ten (Rusty Smith starting at quarterback)

12/2- @ Phi (nothing positive can really be said here and I can only pray that we don't get massacred)

12/13- vs. Bal (not as explosive as they use to be on defense and are susceptible to big plays)

12/19- @ Ten (again no VY which is the only quarterback the Titans have had that we haven't beat)

12/26- @ Den (not the same team they use to be as they were in the first 6 games of last year)

1/2- vs. Jax (obviously a winnable game but just can we do it)

What do you all truly believe?

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

In all honesty, I hope for nothing more than an amazing turn around and them going undefeated the rest of the way.

.....I'm going to a game next month, I hope it's not a pointless one.

10-6? :cool: lol....a man can dream.

Go Texans.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think we're getting 2, maybe 3 wins out of the last 6.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I think we'll go 8-8. I think Kubiak actually keeps his job for one more year(because of the CBA), but is forced to fire Bush.

(Hah, I said fire bush.)

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there is no room for error. they have to win out.

I really have no idea what to expect. On the one hand i think that they are more than capable to do it...on the other, they will probably find a way to blow it in comical fashion. This team is just all over the place.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

We are 2 games behind with 6 games to go. If we go 5-1 that means that the Colts would have to go 3-3.

The Colts remaining schedule is VERY light

Chargers (L)
    Cowboys (W)
    Titans (W)
    Jags (W)
    Raiders (W)
    Titans (W)

You better wish for a Peyton Manning injury because I really doubt that the Colts even lose 3 games out of that remaining schedule.

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That's the thing about this team. They were in the games, had chances to win....in some should have won, the last month or so. But man, November was just not kind to them.

They have the ability to "turn it on" and light any one up. If only, the D could show up...just a little.

8. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I have a feeling that we'll end up back at 8-8, or worse yet, we'll upset the Ravens and go 9-7. I say worse yet, because this is the kind of run that Kubiak always makes and it's going to save his job yet again. I'd prefer that we didn't win another game, get a good draft pick, and start over with a new coach next year. But Kubiak isn't bad enough to do that ... just like he's not good enough to win big.

Ultimately, there is not a chance in hell we beat the Eagles (unless Vick gets hurt), so our season is over. There is no 6-0 miracle run left.

Wins-
    Titans x2 (their pass offense is nearly as bad as our pass defense)
    Denver (soft defense & they will give up on the season before we do)
    Jax (another "inspirational" week 17 victory)

Losses-
    Eagles (maybe they'll go Green Bay on us)
    Ravens

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think that's the best case scenario. I don't think we'll beat Philly or Baltimore. We CAN beat the Titans, Broncos, and Jags (and probably should). But we all know that just because we CAN (or SHOULD) beat somebody, doesn't mean we WILL beat somebody.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Week in and week out I have seen arguably the worst defense in NFL history fail to improve. I have very little reason to believe that's actually going to change. In many ways, I feel we're fortunate we've actually won 4 games....because when you look at teams who've historically given up the kind of yardage we have, you don't find many teams finishing the season with more than 2 wins (and let's be honest...we're on pace to be 2nd worst all time in terms of yards surrendered)

No team in the history of the NFL has given up a minimum of 24 points per game though its first 9 games....not to mention, we've done it through 10.

I typically look for silver lining....I believed wholeheartedly in this team after the first Indy game. I was wrong. I originally picked them to win 8 games...now I think that's too many.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I want 4-12, a new coach, and a top 10 pick, or 10-6, a new defensive coordinator, and the playoffs.

Don't give me anything else, please.

12. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

well, you definitely are no bandwagon fan...gotta love it...

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

No kidding.

This guy gets optimist of the year award.

Other than Philly, each of these games appears winnable.

I really hope we beat the Titans and Eagles, that will make our Monday night game meaningful, at least.

14. Apps

Apps Member

Pretty much what I was going to come in here to post. It's one thing if the Texans were actually able to squeak out wins against the Jags and the Jets. Even with our terrible defense we were still able to come back in those games and put ourselves in a position to win, but.....

It just doesn't seem like this is this team's year. Perhaps with coaching changes, FA signings and some secondary help through either FA or draft, the Texans will finally be able to cement themselves in the higher tier of the NFL. Until then, I think we're just going to flounder like we have been, perhaps getting a W against clearly inferior teams the rest of the way. Besides, it seems like the Texans really only know how to play catch-up rather than step-on-their-neck.

15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

It's happened the past few years. Annual 4 game losing streak then a nice finish.

16. Summer Song Giver

repped

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

The Redskins are on pace to the THE WORST of all time in terms of yards surrendered. They have 5 wins. Impossible is nothing! :grin:

10-6 (or at least keep them exciting).

18. msn

msn Member

wait, what? there is a team this year giving up more yards than the Texans???

[...googles...]

HOLY CRAP!!!!

wow :grin: :grin:

takes the luster off that 2nd win, don't it?

19. conquistador#11

There are no winnable games in the league. Each game offers a different challenge. That said,
    there is no doubt that the texans can play with any of those teams. They scored 27 points on the jets, a defense that had not given up that amount of points since last season. Just win against the titans, and all things are possible. Not even patton and his army would be able to defeat Kubiak in the month of December. *

* Crap, I forgot! We still have dog poop disguised as cornerbacks and safeties. =(
    I think we can go 6-0 or 0-6. There are still a couple of more ways to lose games that the team has yet to explore. A kickoff returned for a TD in the final 8 seconds. Texans about to take the lead with a game ending field goal, only for the attempt to be blocked and returned for a TD.

20. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Philly and Baltimore are the only games where we will need one heck on a performance to win, the rest are all VERY winnable. Problem with that is, 8-8 would be crappy again and you can't really expect any winnable games for this team considering their makeup.