1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As currently constructed: are Rockets championship contenders?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Jan 14, 2015.

?

Are Rockets (at full strength) legit championship contenders?

1. Yes

247 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. No

186 vote(s)
    43.0%
  1. Lunareste

Lunareste Member

oh god don't even mention that ever again

even when I was 10, I knew it was bad news when we hit Seattle in the playoffs

2. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, I hated those Seattle games...

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

If we get hot we can compete with anyone, but I feel we're still one piece away from being heavyweights.

4. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

this team has 8 players who can make a difference in a close game. Last year, they only had 6. That's a world of difference. This team definitely will contend for a title this post-season, and if they shoot the ball decently (at least, not below average) in the playoffs, they should be wildly successful. Their defense is just too stout when locked in, and guys lock in during the playoffs.

5. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

I dont think anyone could have predicted the Mavs winning that year... They had one superstar in Dirk and a bunch of rollplayers that stayed consistent and clicked on all cylinders!

Maybe this can be the Rockets with Harden as the superstar and everyone else falling into place...The big difference is that they had 2 pg that could make plays happen in Jason Kidd and JJ Berea...

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They do have more talent than any team in the league top to bottom. Honestly they should be the favorites to win it all.

Even on their worst nights they'll be in games with a shot to win because of their defense.

Problem is that offense goes flat all too often and its not the layups & three's philosophy that's at issue - The Rockets proved back in the 90's that this was a viable theory with back to back Larry O'Brien Trophy's.

What's at issue is how they go about it. They don't play to their strengths , rather the ego & legacy of Howard gets in the way while McHale catering to Howards desires is another part of the problem.
    That dude is the most physically gifted garbage man in the history of the league .... But he wont embrace the role , think's he has to be Hakeem instead of Rodman. He doesn't have the touch nor the footwork to emulate Hakeem but he has the ability to be Dennis Rodman on steroids setting nasty picks creating easy shots for him & others in the process while being one of the games best defenders.
    All too often his picks are weak and he doesn't roll hard to the rim while his post up opportunities result in a turnover just under 40% of the time.

They also have DMo ... who while a better post option than Howard is also capable of playing the high post , giving you the ability to pass over defenses (J.Smith can do this too).
    Harden and DMo (or Smith) pick & roll .... DMo ends up at the elbow with Howard crashing hard from the baseline .... there are just too many options for teams to defend & the corner three's are still a big part of that when help defenders rotate.
    This also works with PatBev as the ball handler ..... as he can hit those runners / floaters in the lane. They just don't do it .... Enough.

I don't understand why Howard has to be the last guy down the court on many possessions and touch the ball outside the three point line before passing it to a guard and meandering to the post .... It serves no purpose for him to touch the ball out there , either set a hard pick or get to the low block / baseline.
    Basically its the same offensive philosophy , shots in the paint & 3's but in a much more efficient manner .... Cant believe a hall of fame player turned coach cant figure out basic basketball. It all seems to me to be catering to ego's rather than winning basketball games.

Check your ego at the door and go do what you are good at ....

7. koldlaser

koldlaser Member

The Rockets absolutely have the talents to be true contenders. The problem lies when Smith, Brewer, and Dmo are given green lights to shoot 3s when they're open is a disaster in the making. Smart teams will exploit that so any talks about bringing in a true pg to distribute the ball into opened players will be moot because those teams will leave those guys open regardless.

And then you got Howard liability at the post game. Sigh. I think fans are holding onto false hopes that D12 "will do his damage when it's time". The dude played 9 seasons in the NBA and the most consistent criticism about him throughout his years beside his FTs are his post moves, had one good series against Portland, and that's the insurance many here are buying into? I know an aberration when I see one. That series is an aberration.

8. Zbed

Zbed Member

Dwight has showed up in the playoffs every year he's made it

9. Raven

Raven Member

Is Ariza hitting his shots? If yes, maybe. If no, it could be a short postseason. The Rockets aren't good to go. Not yet. I still think they are a couple of moves away.

10. hakeemthagreat

Back center is my concern. If Dwight gets in foul trouble and D-Mo doesn't have it that night, who's gonna come in block shots, rebound & be active? Joey Dorsey is not that guy

11. MLittle577

MLittle577 Contributing Member

Yes contenders. One Dragic away from being favorites.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Contenders?? Absolutely. However, we're still prone to dry spells on offense (especially when Harden sits), and I think in order to overcome that, we'd need to make one more move at the PG position. But, AS CONSTRUCTED, I think we'd be very difficult to beat in a 7 game series.

13. seeingred

seeingred Member

Yes. And i agree that we need a playmaking PG. But what we need most is chemistry. Time to gel. And, barring inj*r*es, we'll get that. When you don't have chemistry, you have to simplify your offense. It's very simple right now - Dwight post up. Harden PnR. Harden Iso. DMo post up. As others have pointed out, this is a one-on-one offense. You can win that way, but it's a grind to run that every play.

But every now and then you'll see a secondary action. DMo goes to work in the post and then hits a slashing Dwight. Harden beats his man, and as the defense rotates he passes to DMo, who passes to Smith. When you have chemistry, you have a good idea of where your teammates will be.

I'm even starting to see us run... Plays! Double screens for Harden to get him open at the 3 pt line. As time goes on they'll add more. We'll get easier looks at the rim (that aren't Harden-generated). Maybe see some old Adelman back screens (that's probly too much to ask).

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

FIFY. Could you imagine this team running Adleman or Popovich offensive sets ?!

(Dragic would be icing on the cake)

15. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

If Morey doesn't make another mover for a player then I think T Jones is the X Factor. He plays like he was before he got injured then we're going to be lethal

16. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Rockets are still one playmaker away to get out of the west.

17. cml750

cml750 Member

I do not think we win a championship with Dwight as a main player IMHO. :eek:

18. varughese.arun

WE ARE CONTENDERS!

If we stick to the offensive game plan (inside out ball movement), and give our everything on the defensive end, we will win the Championship this year!

19. MissouriRocket

West is going to be great to watch in post season. There is going to be no easy playoff series.

20. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think the Clippers, Suns, and Mavs will actually be easy outs in the first round.

I don't like Dallas's depth, the Clippers have lost their edge, and the Mavs gutted themselves for a PG who has made Dirk Nowitski ineffective.