1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As currently constructed: are Rockets championship contenders?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Jan 14, 2015.

?

Are Rockets (at full strength) legit championship contenders?

1. Yes

247 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. No

186 vote(s)
    43.0%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Contenders? Yes

Favorites? No

2. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I don't know if it's possible to be a contender with $20M of cap space invested in Dwight, considering what we are getting out of him. This could be because of effort or injury. It doesn't matter.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Good chance of that happening.

5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Man, exactly, I hate to believe it (about Houston sports) and I'll keep watching them since I'm from Houston and will cheer etc. Just deep down wishing we could relive 94/95, hell even 97 (we lost heartbreakingly, but at least got to WCFs)... It's like we were spoiled and assumed getting to the finals 2x (losing in the 80s), 2x (winning in the 90s) and then mediocre performance since then... Sure Houston had regular season success, but I'd almost rather be an 8 seed if it meant watching the team passed the beginning of May...

6. MystikArkitect

Teams built for regular season : Dallas, Portland, GS
    Teams built for playoffs: Houston, San Antonio, Memphis

We'll be fine.

7. Entropy

Entropy Member

I have a feeling both Portland and Dallas would beat Houston in a series.

8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Hehe, besides that... He forgot Clippers and OKC...

9. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

This game shows you why we are far from it, we play too stupid for a contender and still no coach on the sidelines.

10. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

Golden state and Portland made further than we did last year. So one could say that they are more built for the playoffs than we are

11. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

There are eight legit title contenders in the West.

12. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

[​IMG]

13. RCPM

RCPM Member

STFU!

14. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

I'm really confused....

15. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Your not confused it's the others making comments that make zero sense.

Once Jones comes back we'll literally have a 2nd wave of starters entering games whether DMO comes off the bench or Jones. That's strong to have especially come playoff time.

OKC had no answer for Smith

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Contender and legit are 2 separate terms

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

OKC had no answer for efficient offense .... You could put DMo or Smith at the FT line and get similar results.

This team has more than enough talent to win it all. I think its this offensive system that's causing the problems.
    Everything revolves around one on one play or beating a double team. Harden ISO or drive , Howard or DMo posting up ... Not very often everyone is involved in the offense.
    Not enough picks both on & off the ball, cuts or passing. With a little more creative offense , this team could put up video game numbers & wouldn't have to work so damn hard to do it.

1 person likes this.
  18. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

OKC has sucked lately. We still have glaring issues before we are contenders. We need a real point guard.

19. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I agree. Great assessment.
    This team has more than enough talent to win it all. I think its this offensive system that's causing the problems.
    Everything revolves around one on one play or beating a double team. Harden ISO or drive , Howard or DMo posting up ... Not very often everyone is involved in the offense.
    Not enough picks both on & off the ball, cuts or passing. With a little more creative offense , this team could put up video game numbers & wouldn't have to work so damn hard to do it.[/QUOTE]

Kobe would take peeps one on one with Shaq and they won Championships and Jordan did it that way. Harden trying to do the same thing and right now he can't be stopped as long as teammates pick up the slack when necessary.
    At the same time, in the end your right..these guys will hopefully add more creativity to the offense as the season rolls along and it will truly be like Mario Brothers out there Donkey Kong style indeed

20. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Contender yes. But not the favorite.