1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As currently constructed: are Rockets championship contenders?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Jan 14, 2015.

?

Are Rockets (at full strength) legit championship contenders?

1. Yes

247 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. No

186 vote(s)
    43.0%
  1. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

The rockets have only had one playoff series victory and have been out of the 1st rd of the playoffs only once during the past 18 seasons. Let that sink in for a moment or two.

There are always going to be blind supporters and homers, but with the way that some of these guys talk about the organization, you would think the rockets are perennial title contenders. Their standards and expectations are so low that they will try to spin almost 2 decades of mediocrity into success.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

The Morey-McFail apologists are way over their head in their praise for these two folks - one who has one just ONE playoff series as GM and the other who is a muppet, gimmick cheer leader masquerading as a coach who routinely gets his clock cleaned. If only they had a bit more post season success...

The way posters talk about these two as untouchables you'd think we are on the verge of a 3 peat when in all honesty a 3rd successive 1st round elimination looks more likely.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"Glass half empty" doesn't begin to describe where you're at right now, with all due respect.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Just take a look at lars. When he's not too busy with his "Our fans are [​IMG] so [​IMG] bad and ungrateful [​IMG]," he spends his time criticizing people for asking for one playoff series victory. Just one. Not a championship....just one ****ing round. People like that don't understand that you almost never go from perennial 1st round losers ---> championship. Its a crime against Harden who has put up MVP numbers this season to have his legacy impeded like this. Fans like lars are bad ones, they push for mediocrity and insult our players.

1 person likes this.
  5. seeingred

seeingred Member

maybe he just remembers when our starting lineup was Chuck Hayes, Luis Scola, Chase Budinger, Kevin Martin, and Aaron Brooks. Pretty sure 50% of this forum is 13 year olds. We are one of the deepest teams in the league and we have MVP and DPOY candidates on our roster. If we can't make a playoff push, someone is surely at fault. But it's not the guy who brought this talent together.

6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Let's just get out of the first round first, put a poll up on that... I think they have a good shot of doing something, I'm just not going to pretend they're contenders when some games they play and others they don't. Sure this is regular season but you can't do that in the playoffs. I've watched enough NBA basketball to know if they don't have it figured out come April it will be a first round exit. Unless they get PHX or something, I don't see this team doing it against the better teams in the West, it's like if Harden is off no one else on this team can do anything. Lately Howard has been in a funk, hopefully he's better by the playoffs.

Oh I forgot, yes their record is good, no they aren't good against the teams that matter in the West. I'd feel better if they decided not to show up against the bottom feeders, but actually played in big games. They need to do more of what they did against OKC (even if it was a fluke) against the good teams.

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Vote No, it first appeared that we understood how to play defense as a team. Lately, we've been trying to outscore everyone and that hasn't work well. How does a team comprised of Ariza, Beverly, Dwight, and Brewer not defend. Is it effort and/or coaching. We score enough to win but we aren't defending worth ish. I cringe everytime the ball goes to Dwight in post (make, miss, turnover, or fouled (increased free %). More of the middle 2 (miss/turnover). I hate to say this but Dmo looks so much better. How in the heck do you have Kevin McFail and Dream and your post game looks like that after 2 years. Cmon Dwight, you're killing us.

Also, Dwights, lack of effort on D is noticeable. He makes 1 stab at D if the ball gets by him he doesn't try to recover.

8. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

So agree, our coaching staff needs and upgrade. I can imagine what real coach (JVG) could do with this team.

9. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I don't know. I have been a Rockets fan since Hakeems rookie season. So I have seen a lot of ups and downs. Here are the things that concern ME when it comes to contending or just a deep drive in the post season.

1. Harden has yet to prove himself as THE MAN in big pressure games. This performance vs. Golden state is quite concerning. But, I will be open minded that he just had an off night. Lets see what he does Wednesday.

2. Dwight really needs to find his role, and that role is NOT posting up. He needs to accept he is not a good post up player and defer that space to DMO. Let DMO post up and then hit the glass for some put backs. I would love to see Dwight as a more athletic Cedric Maxwell. Remember him? The garbage man? he certainly helped Boston and has a pair of rings to show for it. Of course Dwight can also help on the defensive end being a DPOY candidate.

3. I am concerned about Josh's decision making. Accept you can't shoot and move on. You want to win and that is all you are concerned about? Then no more three point shots unless the shot clock is about to expire.

4. I am very concerned about Josh and Dwights free throws. Playoffs are typically grind it out games. If two of your three big men can't even hit 50% you are screwed. Olajuwon started his playoff career averaging 48% in 85 and 64% in 86. But when we hung the banners he was 80% and 70%.

I think Patrick is serviceable. Kenny Smith was no prize. But we won with him at the point and what Bev brings with defense and energy is valuable.

At the end of the day I think two major things need to be proven. 1. Harden needs to show some steel to his character not wilt, and our bigs need to look inside and realize they are not all star offensive weapons. If those two things happen then I think we could contend. If they don't happen I think two deep is the max we can hope for.

10. rustyrob

rustyrob Member

I was wrong! This is no championship team.

My love for role guys like Brewer, Kpap, DMO, and Pat Bev. Plus, my hate for Parsons, Asik, and Lin.
    Hardens improved defense (which is going down rapidly!)
    Dwight Howards talks of an MVP type season. (Won't even sniff the all star game)
    Praying Trevor A gets back to what he was at the start of the season. (I still love his Defense)
    Hoping josh Smith could change...

All blinded me to what we really are... Pretenders.

Last year Dwight and Parsons won several games without Harden... This year Dwight and Trevor would make "Shaq n a fool "as a tandem.
    I honesty though Pat B was perfect for this team as a defender/shooter (in the western conference) next to Harden, but its obvious now that he's a 2 string player ( if that ).

Are we the team that everyone wants to play in the playoffs? I mean, stop Harden stop the Rockets...
    I feel like we are that team.