1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As Carmelo Anthony leans toward leaving New York, Chicago and Houston emerge as frontrunners

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jun 14, 2014.

1. clos4life

clos4life Member

I would be ok with NY or even Chicago. As long as it's not Miami or a team in the west. In NY he will never win and in Chi-town he helps us whittle down a KLove candidate. Just don't go anywhere else unless it's us.

2. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

I am ok if Melo decline the Rockets. I wouldn't be sad, we will still chase Kevin Love or Chris Bosh. I believe in Daryl Morey and Rockets organization to put their effort to acquire superstar we truly need. Just give them time.

3. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I wouldn't do anything to ruin the opportunity of signing Durant next season. He's more humble than Melo/James and doesn't care about all the glamour. Upgrade the bench. Our team swept the Champions. A little move here and there & we're good. We're going to be great, regardless.

4. conquistador#11

that being said lala and melo should be applauded for staying with the knicks.

and if you're a fan of melo coming to houston, wojs tweet sounded like speculation. Melo always looks content, minus the cheerios incident.

5. photojoe

photojoe Member

Woj is a great analyst. But as much love as het gets on these message boards, not everything he posts is fact. He normally will try to break news, which he seems to do through tweets- I would imagine because that is faster. But he also has his opinion pieces and his blogs. These are sometimes just his personal analysis, which I don't always agree with.

That piece about Carmelo aligning with NYK sounds more like an analysis of the current situation rather than any breaking news. It is still not a done deal yet.

And if Carmelo does decide to stay in NYK......well, then I hope enjoys playing another couple of years on a mediocre basketball team.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. clos4life

clos4life Member

Unfortunately Durant is not a FA for 2 seasons. It's just the Durantmare will start as soon as a player has 1 year left on his contract, like KLove this year.

8. BasketballMind

Alot of people are really just feeling some type of way because people prefer to live in New York rather than Houston. Along with it being a great city, the league wants the Knicks to atleast be a playoff team. There are probably all types of incentives being offered to him above and beneath the table for staying in a city where he and his family loves. You can't hate that.

9. boiler

boiler Member

First Durant will be a FA in 2016. Second, Rockets will not have big enough cap room to sign big name FAs after this summer.

10. BasketballMind

Whoops. Thanks for the correction.

11. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I'm actually fine with Melo going back to the Knicks because they still won't amount to anything. Just more of the same stuff. All flash and no substance.

12. secund2nun

secund2nun Member

Melo is so overrated. He is not a superstar or even a star. There is a reason Denver improved when he left. The guy has overrated inefficient offense, terrible defense, ball stopping play yet is somehow routinely called a superstar and takes up a max contract.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Agree.

From LeBron and the big three will just opt in and roll over another year to they have frameworks of deals in place to now there's a disconnect between them.

14. tzou88

tzou88 Member

How badly would Melo be laughed at if he re-signs with the Knicks and they miss the playoffs again?

15. ansfjs73

ansfjs73 Member

With 9% NY state tax, Melo will make 15 /16 million more with a 5 year contract, vs 4 in Houston.

If he signs with Houston and After 4 years gets even a 10 million/year contract ..then I would say salary wise there is no big difference .

So I think, there is still a chance he picks Houston.. Although I would rather have Kevin Love who fits perfectly in this team.

1 person likes this.
  16. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

Haha, not even a star? Great evaluation. He is averaging 25ppg for his career. Denver didn't even make the playoffs. They had a successful season when he left because of how deep they were and a great HCA. :rolleyes:

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I believe that Melo's state income tax rate is 12.6%

18. sTWO

sTWO Member

All these "league sources" are meaningless because it's just people from the latest teams he's visited with saying the meeting went well. When's the last time we heard about one that went poorly?

The only source that matters soon enough will be Carmelo in a few days. Whatever decision he makes will be the right one for him - because he's the one who has to pick his priority and live with it.

All that said I'm optimistic about Houston's chances. This is the only one of his possible destinations where he can legitimately contend for a title each year for the next 4 years. Plus his after-tax salary every year would be the highest as well. That's a tough combo to beat regardless of what the ESPN'ers would have everyone believe.

19. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Since has Denver been to the western conference finals since Melo left?

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

What would our 4 year offer be if we were to sign him outright? 82-84m seems like the best we could probably do.