1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

As Carmelo Anthony leans toward leaving New York, Chicago and Houston emerge as frontrunners

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t0mdotcom, Jun 14, 2014.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Oh yea because it's so good right. I forgot flip was one hell of a coach.

2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Agreed. With lakers also able to offer big money, I feel like we're not even second favorites. Big market and big money are gonna prevail for melo.

Unfortunately it really is looking like we're gonna strike out. Our best hope now is lebron leaves Miami and we get bosh.

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

no.1 rule in business.

make sure you have Job Security.

i reckon he holds love unless he gets proven players

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

We still havent traded Lin yet. To me. that would be the biggest sign that we are getting Melo.

5. dkocich87

dkocich87 Member

When will it all go down?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And then loses him for nothing leaving his team a lot worse off, where would his job security be then?

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

Why? If anything; I would think still having Lin is a sign that we aren't getting him. I think having him here is a sign we may strike out entirely or that there's some kind of 4 team deal involving Asik and Lin.

8. Manos

Manos Member

Not trading him already gives us more options on how to make the transaction. Keeping him means he can be used in a sign and trade, rather than us only having the option to sign with cap space.

9. Manos

Manos Member

Uh, not sure why it also quoted Howardsucks, but oh well.

Also, just saw this, didn't see it had been posted yet. Looks like we are still fully engaged in hunt for Anthony.

10. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

bro, thats exactly what im saying. I said if we trade Lin, means we are getting Melo. You say if we keep Lin, means we are not getting Melo. We are saying the same thing, just in a different way.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

My bad I misread it. I thought you were saying by keeping Lin we were getting Melo.

12. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Dwight announced his decision on July 5th last year. I'd expect the same time this year for Melo (by the end of the weekend). LeBron is the king of the basketball world though, so if he makes some sort of power play, the timeline can get pretty wacky.

13. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I fully expect Lin to get traded after Melo makes his decision. Similar to the Royce White deal last year. Everyone knew we had a deal lined up to dump him, and it wasn't until Dwight made picked us that we pulled the trigger. As Manos stated, having Lin on the roster keeps our options open via S&T or whatever else Morey can think of.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Absolutely, but I don't expect a Lin deal to be announced until after Anthony commits. Surely the Rockets have a deal pending. Even if we don't have a deal lined up, Lin won't have to technically be traded for months, right? So that could drag on.

15. Swag

Swag Member

if anything we can just give the sixers the pelicans pick to take lin off of our hands. shouldnt be hard

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Another DocRocket tweet he sent me. Sounds promising in some respects.

“@Thedocrocket: @fyrebear tbh,I hear diff stories:No1 knows jack. 2peeps(1BIGWIG) feel GREAT bout/CA,1guy says LOVE's Rox #1,LBJ=no. Justellin what I hear.”
    https://twitter.com/thedocrocket/status/485072286127382529

1 person likes this.
  17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The fact that a definitive "agreement in principle" to trade Lin has not come out yet is not a sign that Melo will or will not sign. The Rockets can either clear out Lin's salary in a separate trade OR potentially use him in sign-and-trade scenarios.

I'd guess they have a contingency deal to move Lin ready to go right now (likely with the Sixers, as has been reported). This won't drag on beyond mid-July, worst case scenario, unless the Rockets completely strike out with all the big names in free agency.

I strongly doubt that the Rockets will part with that New Orleans pick just to dump Lin's contract. Worst case scenario, I'd guess that it would be a future (lottery-protected) Houston pick. Maybe just one or two second rounders.

Morey's got bigger plans for that New Orleans pick.

18. haydenfisher342

Old news look at the time bro

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Old news? He sent me that tweet this morning. Look at the time stamp.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Reading through his Twitter, it seems like he thinks we should have pursued Love heavily but since we didn't we screwed ourselves.