1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

As a basketball player, would you rather be a lock-down defender or the main scorer?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by roxxfan, Mar 8, 2014.

?

Lock-down Defender or Main Scorer?

1. Defender

19 vote(s)
    23.8%
  2. Scorer

61 vote(s)
    76.3%
  1. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Lock-down defender- sort of like a Shane Battier type swagger or Beverley like aggression. Just lock people down and piss them off, get in their head and hustle every play. Guard the best player each and every night and score sparingly.

Main scorer- the number one option of offense. Not the best defensive player, but just a quality scorer that gets the most touches and has the ball in his hands down the stretch.

What would you guys prefer?

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

scorer.

I'd rather be a Harden than a Tony Allen.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Scorer.

Chicks dig the long ball.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'll take defender if it can be quantified, like 5 steals and 5 blocks per game. I'd also like press recognition, but only from actual "pundits" or basketball people.

5. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

You get paid the big bucks when you can put it in the hole.

6. jbasket

jbasket Member

Little bias, but I prefer lock-down defender. Man vs. man, you are shutting him down, imtimidating him, getting into his head. I take joy in giving people goose eggs in the scoreboard. Nothing is more embarrassing for the offensive player, and gives more joy to the defensive player. Heck, at that point, might as well take his girl sitting court side, to whom he was bragging that he would "go off tonight". Not today buddy, not today. You will fear when playing against me, your body language will become dejected when you see me on you. If you score, I will be the first to remind you that you were lucky it was on a fast break.

I was once watching somebody I know very well play, a 6'6 defensive menace with long arms and quick feet. Built too. At the end of the game, their top scorer had the ball with an iso for the game-winning shot. I knew he wasn't going to make the shot, if he even got it off. The coach was kind of stupid, and put other people to guard him whom he (wrongly) thought were better defenders, and watched the scorer go off for 20 points in the first half. Coach finally had an epiphany, "hey, lets put the mobile/quick 6'6 guy on the scorer (who was 6'1) in the second half!". Scorer didn't even get a shot off. He got stripped four times in the second half. So when the game-winning possession happened, the scorer had the most dejected, fearful body language and face I had ever seen for somebody taking the game-winning shot. What happened next? Got ripped again. Rumor has it the scorer's girlfriend dumped him a couple days later.

But when one is the top 0.00000001% of players, the big bucks go to the guy who can score. I'll take the odds that I won't be the top 0.00000001% of players.

7. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This game has been, and always will be, about buckets

8. Juxtaposed Jolt

One gets paid. And one gets PAID.

Would you want to be Tony Allen / prime Tayshaun Prince / Battier / Beverley? Or Kevin Martin / James Harden / Arron Afflalo?

9. AXG

AXG Member

I typically guarded the other team's best scorer 'back in the day.'

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

That's like a an 8 to 10 million difference...

You gotta go with being the scorer, even then, an increase in effort can make you decent defensively. But if you don't have scoring skills, then you're screwed.

11. supdudes

supdudes Member

Personally I prefer the minimalist approach on offense, sticking with more of a slasher/ shooter role than opt for iso's, post-ups. When there's a potential pick near by, I use it, and pass/shoot out of it without much handling.

Defence is more fun in my opinion. You learn alot more about how to score by trying to prevent it. Also as long as I'm not mismatched, I can always get great position for contests and blocks.

12. SK34

SK34 Member

I already love playing defense so I go with defense.

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The NBA pays if you can score...defense is an added bonus

14. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Score cuz I want the honeys ;):grin:

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Scorer. Without a doubt.

16. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

There's no actual thing as a "lockdown" defender though. I didn't see PG locking down Lebron in the finals or vice versa. They had the series of their lives. I didn't see either of them slowing down KD.

Rules are pretty unfair on the defender to the point where individual defense is overrated. It's more about team defensive strategy imo. I'd be irate every time I got called for a foul for barely touching someone. That **** wouldn't be fun.

17. AFS

AFS Member

While defense is important, scoring is just more fun.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Scorer - they score the long dollar.

DD

19. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Defense still wins championships.

20. jbasket

jbasket Member

Everybody assumes they would be in the NBA... but only the best of the best are able to make it. I would answer the question with the assumption that I will not be in the NBA, because the odds heavily favor that outcome. Therefore, money is not involved.