1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Articles on Clyde and Mario

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Dec 12, 2003.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=21877

Clyde Drexler keeps busy with his wife and kids, family restaurant, golf and real estate holdings in Houston. And he loves greeting each day with, “Let’s see, what do I want to do today?”

Life's a glide
    Beloved ex-Blazer Clyde Drexler settles into 'retirement' in Houston
    By KERRY EGGERS Issue date: Fri, Dec 12, 2003
    The Tribune
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    HOUSTON --
    He looks a little creaky and stiff as he pulls himself out of his 2003 Cadillac Escalade.- Well, Clyde Drexler is no kid anymore.
    At 42, Drexler is anything but over the hill, though.
    "Just a little sore," says the former Trail Blazer, who retired after a Hall of Fame-worthy playing career in 1998. "Played three sets of tennis, lifted weights for an hour and ran four miles today."
    Yes, Clyde the Glide is keeping pretty active in retirement.
    He is a member of the exclusive Lochinvar Country Club -- which has only 200 members, including President Bush -- and plays golf four or five times a week.
    "I'm down to a 5 handicap," Drexler says.
    He also holds membership at the Houstonian, a posh health and fitness club where he plays tennis twice a week and lifts weights three times a week.
    "I'm at 232, about two pounds over my playing weight," the 6-7 Drexler says.
    Drexler and his wife, Gaynell, will celebrate their 15th anniversary Dec. 30. They live in the River Oaks/Memorial area of Houston in a house they bought in September and moved into with their three children -- Austin, 13; Elise, 12; and Adam, 10.
    Drexler also has a daughter, Erica, 16, by a previous relationship. She lives in Houston, and they see each other often, he says.
    Three weeks ago, Drexler brought his boys with him for a weekend trip to Portland, where he still maintains a home in the Dunthorpe area. They went snowboarding on Mount Hood and chukar hunting in Wasco County with a party that included Bob Cook, the team doctor when Clyde played for the Blazers.
    "The boys found out chukar hunting is hard work," Drexler says, laughing. "Going up and down those canyons is pretty physical. But we had a great time."
    Since his retirement as a player, Drexler spent two years as head coach at his alma mater, the University of Houston, and another two years working in Denver as an assistant coach and special assistant to Nugget General Manager Kiki Vandeweghe, his old teammate and buddy with the Blazers in the late 1980s. He found those jobs too confining.
    "It is great to wake up in the morning and say, 'Let's see, what do I want to do today?' " Drexler says. "For so many years, my life was on a preset schedule for eight, nine months of the year. I don't want a job where I have to be there day to day. I still do a little consulting work with the Nuggets, but other than that, I'm retired."

Kids pull plug on move

Since leaving Portland for the Houston Rockets in 1995, the Drexlers have maintained residences in Portland and Houston but spent the school year in Houston. This past summer, they sold their home in Houston for $8.1 million and planned to move full time to their Dunthorpe place. Just before school started in September, they changed their minds, bought a smaller home in a quiet neighborhood --not unlike Dunthorpe --and decided to stay in Houston.
    "The kids really wanted to stay," Drexler says. "They have all their friends in school, and it's hard to leave. We will still spend time up in Portland in Christmas and much of the summer. We consider that our home, too."
    Drexler still travels, taking in championship fights in Las Vegas and other venues and appearing in charity golf events from time to time. But he's able to be home more often than when he was as a player or coach.
    "I have a great life right now," he says. "Every day is a blessing. My wife and I get to spend our time watching the kids grow up. I really enjoy it."
    Austin is a member of his school's seventh-grade basketball team, "but I am not sure if he likes it," Drexler says. "He's thinking about quitting. That doesn't bother me. I want him to be happy. There's a lot of pressure on my boys because of my career as a player. That's the last thing you want. You don't want to push your ideals on them too much."
    Drexler has spent much of the last two years working on the family restaurant, Drexler's Barbecue, run by his older brother, James, since 1982. It has been in the family since 1967, when it was built by Clyde's uncle.

Restaurant capitalizes on talents

The original Drexler's Barbecue was a mom-and-pop operation that served great food and catered to the regulars in downtown Houston. It has moved kitty-cornered from its old spot to a new building on Pierce Street just off highways 59, 45 and 280.
    The new place is an impressive state-of-the-art eatery that opened in June after two years of construction. It was built by Drexler Custom Homes, which is run by Clyde's sisters, Denise and Virginia. It covers 16,000 square feet and can serve several hundred patrons. The "22 Bar" is one of the best in the city, according to Drexler. And the "Phi Slama Jamma Room" is for group meetings and banquets. There's a stage where bands play on weekends and an adjustable hoop for kids or would-be superstars to try their hand at a shot or two.
    Drexler's Barbecue is a veritable sports museum, with artifacts and memorabilia of both Houston and national sports figures decorating the facility. Of course, Drexler's career is well-represented, with plenty of items from his 12 1/2 years in Portland. Most of his family, including his mother, Eunice Scott, continue to work there.
    Drexler spends time with his numerous commercial real estate holdings, which he began as a rookie in Portland. A second Drexler's Barbecue will open at the Houston Hobby Airport on Jan. 1, along with a retail shop outlet in which he will have majority ownership.
    He has talked about opening a restaurant in Portland, "if I ever get time," he says. "It's all about time."
    Drexler has begun work on his autobiography, which is expected to go to print next summer in anticipation of his entry into the Basketball Hall of Fame. He becomes eligible in 2004. "If it happens next year, great," he says. "If it doesn't, you just wait your turn."

Alienation tipped off Blazer slide

Drexler closely follows the NBA and in particular the Blazers, with whom he spent most of his pro career. He made no secret of his disdain for Bob Whitsitt, the former president and general manager, who resigned after last season.
    "I don't believe in kicking people after they've been fired, but I do believe Whitsitt alienated the fans of Portland," Drexler says. "He would not do what was in the best interest of that community. He brought in players who were not of great character.
    "I don't know how much (owner) Paul Allen had to do with that, but whatever the case was, it was not a good fit. They didn't cater to the Portland community. They didn't cater to the sponsors. I don't think they thought about the Portland fan base and how strong it truly was, and they didn't involve them in the process. That was their downfall."
    Drexler says he has been embarrassed by the number of incidents involving Portland players in recent years, including four drug arrests over the last 13 months.
    Drexler drives past Sterling High School, where his number is retired. They go past the University of Houston's Hofheinz Pavilion, where his number is retired. The Blazers also have retired his number. So have the Rockets, with whom he helped win an NBA title in 1995.
    "It's kind of overwhelming," he acknowledges. "It really is."
    Then it is time to watch Elise perform in a Christmas play at school.
    Life these days is a joy ride for Clyde the Glide.

Contact Kerry Eggers at keggers@portlandtribune.com .

http://news.mysanantonio.com/story.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=200&xlc=1098085

Spurs Notebook: Elie might have been Houston assistant

By Johnny Ludden
    San Antonio Express-News

Web Posted : 12/12/2003 12:00 AM

HOUSTON — Had Milwaukee owner Sen. Herb Kohl followed through with his plans to sell the Bucks to Michael Jordan, Mario Elie might have been sitting on the opposite bench Thursday night.
    After Jeff Van Gundy was hired as Houston's coach, Elie met with him to seek a position on his new staff. Van Gundy eventually hired Patrick Ewing, who played under him in New York. An assistant in Washington last season, Ewing likely would have accompanied Jordan to Milwaukee had he bought the team.

Elie said he thought Ewing would likely end up in Houston with Van Gundy as soon as he heard the Bucks sale fell through.

"Pat's his man," Elie said. "That's the way it should be. When I become a coach, the guys I trust in life are going to be guys I have on my staff."

Elie said he enjoyed his meeting with Van Gundy. Van Gundy had Elie analyze some game film and gave him some advice about breaking into coaching.

"Jeff's just a great individual; he has a lot of knowledge of the game," Elie said. "I understand guys have to bring guys they trust. He told me that. I was very impressed by that. ... You hire guys you're used to being around."

Elie didn't have to wait too much longer to land his first coaching job. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich called him in September after Mike Brown left for Indiana. Elie's wife, Gina, and their three children have continued to live in Houston.

"The kids come to see me on the weekends," Elie said. "When I have a day off, I fly home to see my family. Things are working out great."

Rose still waiting: Malik Rose ran and did some agility drills before the game, but was not in uniform.

Popovich said he would be surprised if Rose played before the Spurs' trip to Seattle and Portland next Thursday.