1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Article] McGrady: A person who's breaking down

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff Who, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Flying under the rim: A person who's breaking down

He's one of the most talented players who have ever played this game, without winning anything. He has just decided to have a season-ending surgery on his injured left knee. His teammates and coach found out about that from the media.

When five years, when ago he was traded from Orlando to Houston, people were comparing himself and his teammate Yao Ming to <i>'Kobe-Shaq'</i> duo. The beginnings were promising. Tracy scored his historical 13 points in 33 seconds against San Antonio (four treys - including a four point play, steal and a game-winning basket in the last second). He lead his team to the 5th place in the Western Conference.

Unfortunately, when it mattered most, McGrady always failed.

In the first round of the 2005 playoffs Rockets won their first two road games in Dallas. They needed only two of the next three home games to advance, but... In game number 3 in Houston McGrady disappeared in the 4th and he let the Mavericks come back from being down by 8, to win this game. Game number 4 was pretty much the same story. And in the decisive game 7 Mavs beat them by as many as 40 points.

The same scenario happend once again two years later. In the series against the Utah Jazz, Rockets were playing with home court adventage. Both teams won home games pretty easily and once again the series were headed to the decisive game 7 in Houston. McGrady played well, but his team failed. Than T-Mac started crying during the press conference.

Last year the Rockets again played the Utah Jazz, again with home court adventage, but after loosing the first two home games they lost the series in six games. Adding his earlier appearances in the playoffs, Tracy has already been there seven times and he is yet to pass that 1st round of the postseason.

This year was supposed to be different. He finally overcame his back problems which were a big issue earlier in his career. Unfortunately, instead of battling with his back spasms, Tracy was playing through an injured knee. He missed 7 games in December and the next six in January. He wasn't playing in 2nd games of every single back to backs. Than once again he missed some time before the All Star Break, just after the embarrassing game against Milwaukee, when he made only one of 9 shots and missed an easy dunk in transition.

The knee were still bothering him so he decidec to have another MRI and see different doctors. After the game against Sacramento, ESPN reporter, Stephen A Smith announced that Tracy had already made a decision and he is gonna miss the reminder of the season to undergo a microfracture surgery.

Everything happend two days before the NBA Trade Deadline, which put the Rockets' organization in a tough spot. Coach Rick Adelman and GM Daryl Morey didn't really know what to say. But few hours later McGrady wrote the same thing on his website. <i>"I found out like everybody else did," said Adelman. "I think there should be a protocol there. There should be a procedure where we have a chance to talk about the situation and not be announced to the press. I don't know why that happened, why he did that, but that's certainly not the way things should be handled."</i>

But his teammates don't give up. At least now they know who they have and who is playing and how he is playing. <i>"We finally can move one. We don't have to worry about who is playing or not. Life goes on"</i> - said Shane Battier.

This season, the Rockets are playing way better without McGrady in the lineup. They have won 14 out of 20 games without their star guard. And if they get out of the 1st round this year, it will not be because of McGrady.

----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.sport.pl/koszykowka/1,71343,6305161,Fruwajac_pod_koszem__Czlowiek__ktory_peka.html

It is a Polish article about the whole McGrady's situation. I decided to translate it. Hope it is clear, without mistakes.

2. stanleykurtz

stanleykurtz Member

It is such a shame. A healthy McGrady is one of the smartest basketball players I have ever seen. He was a star who made his teammates better.

Most of his health problems can be traced back to his herniated disks. Those of you who ever "slipped a disk" know what I am talking about. Sciatica is a terrible thing that can cause trouble in so many areas.

McGrady, in my mind, is one of the great disappointments in sports history. He could have been a Hall of Famer, but his body just broke down too early.

3. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

He's a bum.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He's a good guy, but having a bad body and a bad motor it a poor combination for a professional athlete aspiring to greatness.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

What exactly is the problem with his back?

I've heard Scoliosis

I've heard herniated disk

Back Spasms

6. stanleykurtz

stanleykurtz Member

Sciatica occurs when the vertebrae compress the nerve that branches out into your lower body. It causes muscle weakness in certain parts of your buttocks, legs, and lower back. It can cause weakness in one area of your lower body, and when you have to overuse a muscle to compensate for the weakness, injuries occur.

It is clear that McGrady never overcame his herniated disk problems. Personally, I don't think he will ever play a full NBA season again, and should consider trying to steal money in one more contract before retiring from some team's injured reserve.

7. ibm

ibm Member

how sad it is if he's gonna be remembered for just that...

8. ibm

ibm Member

sums it up pretty nicely right there.

9. Vinsanity

Vinsanity Contributing Member

He was always great in the playoffs. His playoff numbers are historic. His temmates failed.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I like how the article contradicts this point of view, and for the most part it's right, McGrady really wasn't there when it counted. True, he put up killer numbers when we were winning (or still in it to win), but when we were losing he was no where to be found. The problem with McGrady is that he has to be the focal point to be effective, and this set really makes it hard for his teammates to get in the mix. Basically, it's on him because it has to be on him, not because he's carrying the team on his back. A great player makes his teammates better, SEE Dream and MJ. McGrady doesn't make his teammates better, he makes his team better.

11. ibm

ibm Member

i've never faulted mcgrady alone for his teams not being able to get out of the 1st round. bball is a team sport, not an individual one like tennis or golf.

that said, your post here is a typical silly one - for the same reason above.

12. Al Capone

Al Capone Member

Leave the guy alone already.

13. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I still hope he can come back STRONG. It was a good decision, frustrating for us but good. He will be back.

14. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

You guys can not leave HER alone?
    Come on, move on you people.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

In all fairness he was never surrounded with the kind of talent that wins championships. Les's failed theory was to surround Yao and TMac with low budget players. Never worked. This year was probably the most talent he has had to work with, but his body that has been running on less than all cylinders for the last few years finally ran out of gas. A very talented athlete but a tragic story. I think people forget how good Penny Hardaway and Grant Hill were before their health problems. Add TMac to that list.

16. Christopher

Christopher Member

Not enough talent?

This club busts its a$$ to get as much talent as it possibly can!

17. MexAmercnMoose

this article was a pain to read...grammatical errors up the ass, as far as tmac is concerned, let's move on to better things

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wow an article translated from Poland, THANKS JEFF WHO...

Even in Poland they recognize his issues.

DD

19. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

He had almost everything he needed to succeed as a superstar: atheltism, b-ball IQ, etc. The only thing he is lacking is the will to win no matter what.

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I've criticized McGrady plenty, but I think it's starting to get excessive here! This article, while nicely translated, is a recapitulation (for a different audience) of stuff that all self-respecting board members already know. Normally posters would point this out, but now we are using it as an occasion to pile on T-Mac. I'm sure many players in his situation would have played more games, maybe even the whole season. But I'm ready to just leave him to his Francis-dom, wish him the best, and get positive about the great team we do have, which really is better without him anyway!