1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Article about issues in the Muslim world - from a Pakistani media source

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Steve_Francis_rules

And what should we do when two people's reasoning disagree?

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't know about ultimate standard, but a minimum of human dignity should be preserved for anyone, no matter what they have done. Cruel punishments should be abolished. Stoning may have been imaginable in the cruel medieval times, but no respectable culture in our time should still use this as a punishment. Any culture in which stoning is regarded as an appropriate punishment for adultery is ass-backwards.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I thought this woman shouldn't be forgotten, and I confess to thinking that perhaps we should send some B-2's some night to bomb wherever the caves are that these idiot men go to at night to rest up, so they can plan even more misery for their country and its people. Read it and weep:

Ashtiani outrage spurs Iran to commute stoning sentences to hanging

[​IMG]

Tehran carries out series of judicial reviews but lawyer fears women who have not attracted media attention will be executed

Saeed Kamali Dehghan guardian.co.uk, Thursday 12 August 2010

The Iranian woman whose sentence to death by stoning sparked an international outcry was put on state-run TV where she told how her cousin had approached her about killing her husband, which in Iran was taken as a confession of adultery and involvement in murder. Her lawyer says she was tortured before the interview.

Iran appears to be quietly changing the sentences of Iranians awaiting death by stoning to hanging after international outcry following the case of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, a 43-year-old mother of two.

Mariam Ghorbanzadeh, 25, who was six months' pregnant and miscarried after being beaten up in Tabriz prison this week, was initially sentenced to death by stoning for adultery but her sentence has been commuted to hanging in a rapid judicial review. The decision is thought to have been driven by the Iranian authorities' desire to avoid further international condemnation over the barbaric punishment.

According to Iranian law, officials could not carry out her sentence while she was pregnant. Speaking to the Guardian, her lawyer, Houtan Kian, who represents Mohammadi Ashtiani and two other women kept in Tabriz prison convicted of adultery, said: "My fear is that Iran executes Mariam and those others whose cases have not attracted media attention."

Another of Kian's clients, Azar Bagheri, 19, was imprisoned at the age of 15 after her husband accused her of having an extramarital relationship. Bagheri was on death row for adultery but her sentence was commuted to 100 lashes after Mohammadi Ashtiani's story came to light. Although Bagheri's death penalty was handed down four years ago, the sentence could not be carried out until she was 18 years of old.

"All these women are convicted for adultery but Iran is trying to change their sentences after Sakineh's case has embarrassed them," Kian said.

On Wednesday night, Iran put Mohammadi Ashtiani on a state-run TV programme, in which she appeared to confess to adultery and murder and said she would sue her first lawyer, Mohammad Mostafaei, who has fled Iran after succeeding in highlighting her case and bringing it to international attention. Mostafaei, who crossed the Iran-Turkey border illegally, was arrested in Turkey on immigration charges but was later released and taken to Norway after EU diplomats intervened. Norway has since offered him asylum.

Mohammadi Ashtiani's appearance on TV, with a blurred face, shaky voice and holding a piece of paper in her hand, prompted an immediate reaction from Kian, who condemned the televised "confession" and said she was tortured for two days before agreeing to give the interview. Amnesty International called it "a complete mockery of the judiciary system in Iran".

Kian dismissed Iran's accusations that Sakineh had murdered, or was an accomplice to the murder, of her husband. He said the murderer – who Iran's judiciary admitted four years ago had actually killed her husband – was freed when Sakineh's children pardoned him. The programme also showed two of her relatives saying that Sakineh was a murderer. Last week, in an interview with the Guardian through an intermediary, Mohammadi Ashtiani said she was convicted of adultery and was acquitted of murder.

Iran is believed to have frozen all executions until the end of the holy month of Ramadan. At least 12 Iranian women and three men are awaiting execution by stoning.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/aug/12/iran-stoning-sentences-commuted-ashtiani

#23 Deckard, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did you mean "condemn?"

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i agree, but wonder whether you would condone sending some B-2s some night to bomb the places where these idiot men are building nukes w/ which "stone" the rest of us?

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are many many Muslims who would love to see these practices stopped and gov'ts like Iran overthrown.

But this isn't about Islam. Attacking their religion isn't going to help anyone.

People forget that 50 years ago, Christians did a lot of wicked things to Minorities in this very country. And our history is bloody with cultural violence and cruelty as well. Forced sterilizations, slavery, discrimination, lynchings which doesn't include what was done to Native Americans.

That doesn't excuse what is being done over there, it's terrible. But I really find it distasteful how some people on this board use it to attack Islam and Muslims.

This is not an issue of religion, but rather that of modernity. Until people start to get that nothing will change. It's all nice for people to sit back in their chair smoke their pipe and talk about those barbaric Muslims but what's that being used to do - put them down and prevent Muslims Americans from practicing their religion here?

Gross.

7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

It's hilarious how New Yorker is trying so hard to be a good sycophant to what he perceives to be the majority of the posters in the D&D.

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's groovy that you've got those opinions, but since I bumped this thread from about a month ago to point out that a god-awful (no pun intended) situation has gotten even worse, instead of starting another thread, which would be the knee-jerk response of several people here I can think of, your post is rather nonsensical. I rarely start threads. If you want to start a thread about the situation regarding this woman in Iran and women in Iran, feel free and I'll post this there, as well. If someone like basso, who I have on ignore, starts one, I won't post in it.

What does your post have to do with my post? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Nothing at all. He just tries to post the "But...but...Christians have also done bad things" in every thread he can because he thinks it will endear him to certain posters.

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Didn't realize you bumped - was responding regarding the original poster (bigot).

11. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I find this point interesting. Dont get me wrong, I'm not defending stoning, but "Cruel punishments should be abolished" is a very subjective argument.

Is an individual who gets a life sentence with no opportunity for parole living a dignified life? Isnt he going to spend the majority of his life in a 6 x 8 cage with little to no social interaction, disgusting food, and constant surveillance? what about people who get put into solitary confinement for months at a time?

The point I'm making is that punishing crimes is an enterprise that is inherently cruel. To make such a simplistic emotional appeal is foolish.

I found this comment very telling:
    What could have otherwise been considered an honest inquiry attempting to elicit a discussion on human rights in the Muslim world, is in fact, nothing more than an attempt to paint Muslims with a single, broad stroke. Your cynicism implying that a poster defending Muslims is somehow being sycophantic reduces your credibility big time.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

No, it is not. Your moral relativism disturbs me. FYI, I am opposed to the death penalty in any form, but stoning is objectively a particularly cruel method of execution. Yet, in cases of severe crimes, punishment needs to be handed out and you somehow saying that one should not criticize stoning because locking people up is also unpleasant for those who get locked up is just plain stupid.

This comment is specific to NewYorker. You apparently do not know his posting history. I believe he was previously banned because he would troll threads and just take random positions merely to annoy people. His whole posting history smacks of disingenuity. My criticism is not about him defending Muslims specifically, but that I question his motive in doing so. He is the epitome of someone just posting to get attention because he has some sort of deficit in that area. I have read enough of his posts to see through his motives.

Here is the page of the thread that finally got him banned the last time:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=3183881#post3183881

#32 AroundTheWorld, Aug 12, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

To be fair, that comment was directed at me. He couldn't debate me properly so he started yelling insults, and when that failed he's resorted to trying to refer back to my days when I was pretending to be a neo-conservative.

Since what I write is no longer right wing satire taken literally, it's easier to say I'm a brown-noser and such than to actually intelligently debate an issue.

It's a common problem amongst today's poorly educated legal citizens that are churned out by our public education system - attack the messenger when you can't overcome the message. I truly do feel for the man / boy and wish he has a chance in life to live up to his moniker and develop some critical thinking skills.

Let's all pray for the poster formerly know as Sir Jackie Childs.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This post is once again hilarious on several levels :grin:.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Yup, and you don't even know why yet!

16. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Agreed. I started what I said by saying that I wasnt condoning or defending stoning.

I dont understand why. It would only disturb me if it was being done in an effort to justify stoning, which it is not. It is simply asking a broader question, which is attempting to define cruel and unusual punishment.

I find solitary confinement to be cruel and inhumane. The psychological impact of it is significant- a total lack of human contact results in a variety of existential crises including suicide and severe depression. One could very easily argue that administering the death penalty is more humane than having someone in solitary confinement for 10+ years.

I respect that, but disagree. I think certain crimes are worthy of capital punishment.

I never said that. I simply stated that 'cruel punishments should be banned' wasnt the best argument. Saying that stoning is objectively more cruel is an argument I'll concede.

Just curious: whats your take on water boarding? what about sleep deprivation?

I'm not as familiar with individual posters posting history. My apologies.

There's very little that can be said about this issue that Mathloom or one of the other posters hasnt already said. There are significant human rights issues in countries around the world, many of which are predominantly Muslim. These problems are a product of political, social, and economic constructs- dictatorial-style regimes, for example, care little about human rights.

I'm not sure how much you know about what is considered 'the Muslim world' today. For example, Hafez Al-Assad, the former president of Syria, laid seige to Hama (a city in Syria) in 82, massacring thousands in the process. His son is the current president of Syria.

Pakistan has large regions within its boarders that are ungovernable; the cities in these regions are run by drug lords or commissions of elders who institute their own, independent rule of law. It is akin to live in the 1800s in some of these cities.

And the average citizen in these countries is unable to do anything. Most have resigned themselves to trying to earn a decent living for them and their families, and within that context, if a random person gets sentenced for stoning, in light of everything else, it doesnt seem like that big of a deal.

Although you've traveled the world, I doubt you could truly appreciate or grasp the lifestyle of someone living in the slums of an economically impoverished nation while enduring political oppression.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'm against both. You cannot stoop to the levels of those who are morally inferior. Only exception might be clearly defined clear and imminent danger (e.g. there was a case in Germany where some guy had kidnapped a child, they got the kidnapper, but he would not tell them the whereabouts of the child and it was clear that the kid would die shortly if not helped (sad case is the kidnapper had already killed the child, but the police had to do assume the child was still alive and try everything to rescue it) - they didn't do any of the above, but only threatened to do it and the evil kidnapper actually later won a court case at the European Court of Justice because of this), but even then, it's iffy.

Certainly no need to apologize. But just for background, if you have a guy who racked up more than 6,000 posts under that previous user name and later admits:

...then how can you take anything the guy writes now seriously in a sense that you would actually believe it is his real opinion and not just posted for the attention? I mean, 6,000 posts over the span of 5 years, and he later says "oh, I was just playing"? That's ridiculous. I'm ok with him posting again (as is Clutch, obviously), but you have to take anything this guy posts with a huge grain of salt. With others, I might disagree, but at least I know they stand behind what they post (even if it might be crap). With this guy...not so much.

I'm not claiming to know how it is to live in a slum, because I haven't. But I have to vehemently disagree with your statement "if a random person gets sentenced for stoning, in light of everything else, it doesnt seem like that big of a deal." It's a huge frickin deal. You are basically saying "oh, so much **** happens in the world, why worry about a random person getting stoned". Why? Firstly, because with your attitude, why even worry about ANY injustice in the world? "Oh, there is so much other injustice, why worry about it". Secondly, this stoning is exemplary for many other grave injustices and cruel punishments carried out in the name of "sharia". We should not be apathetic to that, but should point out how this is unacceptable, and push back a "legal system" under which such atrocities are possible, instead of allowing it to spread. Thirdly, publicity is the only thing that can still save this poor woman's life. Enough reasons to not be apathetic about this.

18. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

I hope my sarcasm meter is in need of a tune-up....if not, really Mr. Brightside?

19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Agreed. Interesting story about the kidnapper, I never knew that.

I think perhaps you misunderstood my point. I was speaking for the people living in those lands and speculating as to reasons why we dont see as much of an uproar overseas concerning these things as we do domestically in the west. When people have major problems of their own trying to sustain an existence for themselves and their family, a random instance of stoning being reported doesnt draw their ire the same way major geopolitical events do.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The other two aspects are probably that 1) this doesn't even get reported, or, if at all, in a way to portray the person in a bad light and justify the cruel sentence (like in the case of this poor lady that was just forced to admit to the "crime" on national TV) and 2) that in these cultures, the overall acceptance of such cruel punishment methods is higher than in the West. Personally, I think that these societies have very long learning processes to go through, it's not just the evil and corrupt governments, the people are just not very educated, and for a large percentage of them, these cruelties are the norm rather than something to get offended by.