1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artest....Would you want him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sofine81, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

I was listening to 610 yesterday on the drive home. They brought up and interesting subject.

They were discussing if Artest would be a good fit on the Rockets. We all know the down side and the up side of having a play like this.

I was wondering what was everyone's opinion on this subject?

My two cents: Artest is a great player. Would he help the rockets?Most defenitly. Are we willing to the pay the price for having a physco? I dont think so.

I dont think JVG could handle a player like Artest....I think it would have the potential to turn ugly PJ Carlesimo and Sprewell.

However, JV does put a huge premium on Defense...and who is better at defense than Artest?

I guess what Im asking is simple.....If you have the final say-so on who comes to the team, would you chose Ron Artest?

2. noize

noize Contributing Member

Whats the point? He will probally miss most of the game do to suspension for a lot of reason.

3. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

two words: HELL NO

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

5. Sofine81

Sofine81 Member

Well, I was thinking No also. But I wanted to know the opinion of the board on this matter :D

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I'm all for taking risks while players' values are fairly low or they are in a situation where they need to be unloaded, but there is a reason this man's a little scary to take on right now: He could kill Jeff Van Gundy (and I don't mean mentally).

7. Glish21

Glish21 Member

yes...if we could have him fitted with some sort of shock-collar, like some people use to train dogs

8. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Why would JVG clean house just to take on a psycho? We're talking about the guy who broke Jordan's ribs during an offseason practice one year.

9. lil-vic

lil-vic Member

i would take artest. he plays his butt off every night on the defensive and offensive end. why wouldn't you want to take him? he's a perfect JVG-type player......well except maybe for his attitude but on the court, which matter the most, he will get whatever done.

just because he wants to take time off to promote his album that he is producing (he won't be rapping), everyone wants to question his work ethic. i do think he is being selfish with this decision but that doesn't make him any less of a player. i say if the rox had a chance to get artest, go ahead and do it because we need a "true warrior" on our team.

10. littlefish_220

I want to take him. But it's just a pipe dream if we don't give up yao or t-mac. So forget about it!

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Some people on the Board might approve a deal for that reason alone.

I would deal anyone on the team, save two, to acquire Artest. (Or Peja. Or Brand. ...and I'd give a lot for Bobby Jax... )

I want solid players, guys who can bring a championship banner to the roof of the Toy Shop!

12. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

i would take the risk. he was the dpoy last year.

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Yeah he will give 100% when he is on the court. BUT if this guy wants a freakin month! off to record a album... I dont see him being on the court very long. & just imagin if your one of his team mates are you gona respect this guy to lead your team or look up to him? HELL NO your not, your gona hate the guy 4 been selfish.

Theres no way i take this head case on my team, PASS!

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

When Stojakovic is one of the names that's getting bandied about in Ron Artest trade talks, you know we have no chance of getting the guy. T-Mac and Yao aren't going anywhere, so......pipe dream.

Wanting him on our team is a tough hypothetical, because, what if, hypothetically, his head is up his culo, rather than on basketball, and he'd rather work on his side projects than focus on the game/job that pays him millions and could, hypothetically, earn him a championship if he would only pay it half a mind?

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Artest is a less malicious but equally unstable version of Rodman. Only way he stays under control is if he's on a team thats a strong title contender and has not just a strong willed coach, but a top-flight player that won't allow for any crap on the team. I can't say McGrady or Yao are anything close to that.

Garnett is honestly the guy that comes to mind. Maybe Duncan. Popovich is probably the best coach equipped to deal with Ron-Ron.

Anyone else wondering why Larry Bird hasn't throttled Artest yet?

Evan

16. lil-vic

lil-vic Member

wouldn't yall do this trade? i don't think the pacers would but i know the rockets wouldn't mind!

Houston trades: PF Juwan Howard (10.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 22.4 minutes)
    SG Bostjan Nachbar (4.0 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.8 apg in 15.6 minutes)
    Houston receives: SF Ron Artest (24.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.3 apg in 38.0 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: +10.1 ppg, +1.0 rpg, and +1.1 apg.

Indiana trades: SF Ron Artest (24.3 ppg, 7.0 rpg, 2.3 apg in 38.0 minutes)
    Indiana receives: PF Juwan Howard (10.2 ppg, 4.0 rpg, 0.4 apg in 22.4 minutes)
    SG Bostjan Nachbar (4.0 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 0.8 apg in 15.6 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -10.1 ppg, -1.0 rpg, and -1.1 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

rockets get a hell of a defensive player, pacers get a great backup for jermaine and would come in handy whenever jermaine goes down with an injury. they also get boki who still has something to prove but don't forget he still has a lot of potential.

17. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Every team in the NBA can make a trade like that. Im sure the Pacers want a talent for a talent. "You have to give greatness to get greatness," said JVG.

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Jeff Van Gundy has had some success with insane players in the past. He might do well with Artest.

His trade value is probably at all-time low right now, but the Pacers still aren't going to let him go for anything less than a borderline superstar if they're smart. He may not be producing for them at the moment, but he's an important part of their team not easily replaced.

I'm not too interested in Artest at the moment because he doesn't appear too interested in basketball. We just sat out a star who tried to play on a sprained groin... Artest wants to sit down because he's bushed from rapping? He doesn't want to play, and there's no reason to give up anything of value for a guy that doesn't want to play.

Which brings us to the question: What do we have that Indiana would want? Nobody we'd consider trading. No way in hell Indiana would even consider a combination of JJ/Howard/Boki or some other permutation. They need somebody who can fill a big hole for them if they ditch Artest.

19. lil-vic

lil-vic Member

folks don't even know the whole story on this situation. first, he's already finished producing his album, just wants to promote it. on espn he said he wanted to take time off to heal his nagging injuries and spend time with his kids, not just for the album.

20. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Hmmm didnt he have the last 4 months to heal his "nagging" injuries and spend time w/ his family during the off season?!?!?!?!