1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Artest will Shine during Playoffs..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by liu1107, Jan 29, 2009.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

You're not making a very good counter argument here. The Rockets you're referring to didn't have enough talent or health to win their playoff series the past couple of seasons. But this team, as currently constructed, could likely win in the playoffs by wearing the other team down. My point is that there's no reason to believe they will/can do that since they haven't done it in the regular season...not even for a stretch of games. They're now drifting to the middle of the pack in defensive rankings, down from top 2 or 3. perennially. The smothering, grind it out style that JVG instilled in these players (well, some of them) seems to be wearing off.

2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I agree. I think Tmac & Artest are going to show up in the playoffs.

Plus, Artest doesn't have to choice, he is in a contract year.

I am not afraid of there individual skills, i'm afraid of team chemistry. And I fear that the team will have a hard time going far into the playoffs without good chemistry...

3. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

You got me there. I can't argue with that. Speaking of the Rockets rapid decline in defense, where are all the threads where people have issues with our defense? Thats the number one issue with these Rockets. Thats what the fans should be harping on.

4. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

I agree. Because in the past, even if we couldn't score we could win games with our defense.

Right now, at the end of game we can't score and we can't get stops either.

5. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I actually agree w/ this sentiment. I know the playoffs are far from a given right now (I've been complaining from the beginning that just 'being healthy come playoff time' is not enough). But assuming we start clicking and everyone gets on the same page...

We're good enough to go through the regular season w/out Artest. But for whatever reason our intensity level doesn't elevate enough in the playoff times. Those moments where we lose momentum, or it's clutch time, or we're getting bullied around...we just don't respond very well. I think Artest's biggest impact on this team will come in those moments. Someone who can take a punch and hit back harder.

Of course many things will need to come together for that scenario to be possible.

6. Untraceable

Untraceable Member

that would reinvent the word failure....