1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Artest: Roy is better than Kobe and Lebron

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by StevieFlight3, Apr 29, 2009.

1. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

QFT! Everyone up to Tinman's post was looking past the Portland series already. Not Ron! He's thinking about his opponent: Brandon Roy. Now let's see Roy play better that Kobe, LeBron and MJ tonight! Good luck, Roy. (Not.)

2. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Sure he is but he never does that.

That's doubtful. I still think we shouldn't resign him. And this team is never healthly :)

3. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Oh great, now Kobe is going to go 81ppg against us if we make it to the 2nd round (knock wood).

4. Got Em

Got Em Member

Sure, the guy is a bit messed up in the head, but one thing to keep in mind is to try to see it from his angle because the dude does run on raw emotions.. which in turn leads to irrational and illogical behavior. See:

1) asking for time off to promote his new album
    2) punching fan in stands
    3) feeling the need to jack up bad shots when the Rockets start losing control of the game
    4) "i'm the new and improved lebron" comment, and fearless defense throughout the game rendering Lebron ineffective and totalling the lowest assist and rebound totals ever
    and thus, 5) "Roy is the best I've ever played against" comment

Ron says this knowing that Roy is the only player who's really been able to torch him this season. Ron was able to hold Kobe and LBJ throughout the season, but doesn't realize that in a 7-game playoff series the opponent is able to adjust their offensive game plan accordingly. Which in turn utilizes Roy in a more efficient manner that Ron perceives as unguardable. Once Ron advances past this series though, and moves onto Kobe and the Lakers and ultimately LBJ/Cavs in the NBA finals he will come to the realization that they are indeed more skilled than Roy when they have the same opportunity to adjust to Ron's defense.

5. Omer

Omer Member

I'm pretty sure this is a joke and/or he is going to revisit his statements after the game tonight.

Look at his face, looks like he's trying real hard to be serious while saying all this.

This guy is just doing it cause he knows it will get people fired up and he is amused by it.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Maybe Ron should talk less and start practicing his shots.

He has been Raferesque in this playoffs.

DD

7. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Yea who care about Kobe. We need to win this series. Then you can praise Kobe.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Can we please sign that guy from Queensbrigdge that Ron says is better than Roy, Kobe, Lebron and Jordan?

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

??????????

was your comment directed at me or at Ron Artest?

that was what Ron said.

10. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

I say do it. At worst, he punches a Lakers fan and goes back to jail and we all get a good laugh out of it.

11. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Brandon Roy is a very cerebral player who knows his limits and would give any defender problems... he doesn't rely on explosiveness and getting in a zone to dominate games. Artest likes to get into people's heads and mess around with the media... he has every right not to take them seriously.

12. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Maybe Artest is just trying to boost up Roy's head. Make him over confident to try and do things that he wouldn't normally do. Sometimes you boost a player's ego too much it explodes. =). Whatever works for this round. We'll work on some other media fodder in the next round hopefully.

It works in tennis a lot.

"dude you're just way too good, there is no way I can beat you"
    "your shots are phenomenal, you should be playing the next level"
    "man you're killing me, this is unfair that you're that good"

Next thing you know I've won in a 3rd set and my opponent is wondering if he was so good why did he lose. =).

Jedi mind trick by Ron Artest.

13. pnutz409

pnutz409 New Member

haha he actually did. He said "Jordan told me he wanted to go against me in his prime"... funny stuff.

14. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

People are overreacting but I agree he should shut his mouth and let his game do the talking. However, what he actually said was:

- Roy is better than anybody because he has faced him 5 times and probably feels he's better than Kobe & Lebron, there is nothing wrong with that. It's just in his mind and can be argued on but he was serious, that's a fact.

&

- He would've loved to play against the prime MJ and vice-versa, still MJ would probably lit him up for 50 pts (right at the end of the video). He's giving nothing but love to MJ. I'm kind of suprised he played against MJ during the summer.

Conclusion: Artest is a little bit nuts and trying to be the warrior that he is. He did not disrespect MJ, gave Roy love and did not disrespect Kobe & Lebron. It's just the fact Roy is playing fearless and unstoppable, take into account his age and NBA years and you have a better player than Kobe & Lebron so no disrespect really. Maybe it's taken out of context, maybe not but I'm 99% sure he's not cracking jokes.

15. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

priceless

16. motionsiknes

motionsiknes Member

ohhh so that's what the conversation was about ... :D

17. dadesokan

dadesokan Contributing Member

Artest is just being honest. He is a great defender and honestly I did not think Roy was this good. His sleepy eyes definitely fooled a lot of us. But for 5 games he has taken artest to school, shooting over 96% from the freethrow line, even when he had bad games he was still a factor.

Hopeful Artest will be out to prove a point tonight that he finally stopped a player better than Kobe and Lebron when it mattered most!!!!

18. dadesokan

dadesokan Contributing Member

The Kobe that played against Utah is game 4 in UTAH cannot be compared to ROY in next 5 Years.

We need a player like that!!!

19. TheBigAristotle

Rofl. Calm the **** down everyone. It's entertainment and if we're really going to win this series, a little trash talk isn't going to affect tonight.

20. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

LOL

Artest can't keep his mouth shut!

Kobe's stats against the Rockets (if we even get past POR)

54.3 ppg, 10 ass, 13 rebs, 46 "in Artest's grill" shots.

:mad: