1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artest is available.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by canoner2002, Dec 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No thanks, the guy will be out of the league in 2 years....he is mentally unstable.

DD

2. denali_wjl

denali_wjl Member

EG and Artest have some similarity, they are both flawed in their personalities,
    and all screwed up big time with their teams, difference is that EG is more retrovert
    and Artest is well, violent.

If in real life, someone screwed their lives up so bad, it's usually not possible for
    them to turn around, while in the NBA, you can get a trade and start fresh in
    another team, as long as the other team wants to take the risk and give you
    another chance. So all in all, demanding a trade is good for Artest. It sucks
    for the Pacers, but what they gonna do except of cut their loss (like the Rockets
    did with EG).

What I mean is Artest can have his career turned around in another team,
    whether Rockets can get him is another question. (not likely IMHO)

3. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Swift and Head for Artest.

4. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I would take Artest in a heartbeat.
    Perimeter stopper and third scoring option? That would be sweet.
    Yeah he's a little off, but he's not the first one.
    I'm sure he wouldn't think he'd be first option with T-Mac on the team, or really compete against Yao since Yao is a post presence. Artest has no beef with O'neal, his main problem is Stephen Jackson, who probably gets more looks than he deserves since Artest wasnt always an offsensive force. With Artest we can rest McGrady a little bit more and let Artest take over for a while so T-Mac has more gas in the tank for playoffs. Also, we won't completely fall apart when T-Mac is out.

As far as trade value goes, you guys might be overselling Artest a little bit. He's crazy, remember? That brings his trade value wayyyy down. When Dennis Rodman was traded to Chicago San Antonio got almost nothing in return. The reason Artest hasn't been traded yet is because Indiana knows teams are going to offer horrible packages.

Just imagine the lineups:

All Defense (against a small team)
    Pg-Head
    Sg-Artest
    Sf-McGrady
    Pf-Bowen
    C-Swift

All Offense
    Pg-Head
    Sg-Artest
    Sf-McGrady
    Pf- Howard/Swift
    C-Yao

Lastly, Artest said practice was too easy. JVG's defense is anything but easy. Also, I don't think Artest will get pissed at JVG offense, because JVG does call a lot of plays, but he doesn't seem to mind when McGrady does his own thing since McGrady can take on anyone when he's hot. I'm sure JVG will give Artest some leeway too. It's the Wesley's and Head's that get in trouble for not running the right play.

Overall, I think it'd be cool, but it won't happen. Artest is just blowing off steam. He'll stay put.

5. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

JVG had problem with SF's game, not so much with his off court activity. Spree and Oak were head cases back then and JVG handled them well.

We actually need someone who can showcase his offensive game. After Tmac and Yao, there are PLENTY of shots to go around and we are bricking like 70% of them. The funny thing is, the more you want to avoid taking shots away from Tmac and Yao, the fewer shots they got because the players you added to the team cannot shoot well which allow opponents to DT Yao and Tmac.

And don't forget our #1 problem: stop guard penetration!

6. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Artest
    Tinsley
    Croshere

for

Juwan
    Wesley
    Rafer
    Moochie

This gets Indiana out from under the luxury tax next year, with $9.3 million in expiring contracts in Wesley and Moochie. It probably puts us in tax land, though, next year when Yao gets his raise. But then Croshere's contract expires the summer of 2007, so maybe Les would endure one year of the tax for a shot at the title.

7. canoner2002

Please, my proposal is already in our favor IMO, yours is an attempt of highway robbery.

8. Matt78777

I know what you guys think of hoopshype so I didn't bother to make a new thread for this, but it's worth knowing anyway. I guess it makes me even more skeptical that it would happen, since hoopshype is usually wrong. But anyway, this was in their rumor mill:

RONNIE REQUESTS A TRADE: In shocking move this week, Indiana Pacer forward Ron Artest told media, he felt the Pacers would be a better club if he were traded and said he’d actually like to be traded. Ron said he feels he’d get a clean slate from a club trading for him, and that staying in Indiana means he has to bare the burden of the “baggage” from last year’s incident in Detroit. The Pacers were somewhat floored when this story came out, Pacer CEO Donnie Walsh said he’s spoken with Artest every day for the past few weeks, and Ron has never mentioned this situation to him. Rumors had surfaced last week suggesting the much hyped deal with Sacramento involving Peja Stojakovic was warming up – despite claims from both teams that such a deal was not happening. The Pacers say Artest is an elite player, and dealing him was not their first choice, but given the comments Artest made this week – its seems more likely than not Artest could be shipped out, and word is Sacramento is not where he’d land. Artest mentioned the Knicks, who have more than enough pieces to trade to land Artest, and Ron mentioned the Cavaliers, were Artest said he’d be happy to come off the bench behind LeBron James – a league source commented by phone this morning, that if the Pacers were serious about dealing Ron, a likely suitor could be the Rockets, who are in desperate need of toughness and have been exploring free agents to back fill some of their needs.

9. canoner2002

^^^
    those rumors are most likely started by fans pretending to be "league officials".

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

You're smoking crack if you think Swift is a better defender than Yao. Weakside shot-blocker, sure, but his defense has been highly overrated to this point of the season.

11. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Contributing Member

man, they have a pair of cuffs... er... shoes just waiting for him in Portland.

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Artest for anybody minus Yao or T-mac? Yeah, that's probably worth the risk.

Artest and change for Yao and change? Not a chance. Artest is much too unstable. Yao for all his faults is is very solid. You know what you get with him, 19ppg, lowpost scoring, shoots a high percentage, will change a lot of shots, doesn't miss games, good chemistry guy.

With Artest, who knows. And it's not like landing Artest but losing Yao will put the team over the top. Does anyone really think that Artest + Tmac gets the team any closer to a championship? I don't.

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Any trade proposal for Artest should include minimum one 1st round pick.. maybe more. They're not gonna trade Artest to get some cap room.

14. Matt78777

I said against smaller teams. Swift is defnitely the weak link in that lineup, but if teams are parading out guys like Diaw, Pachulia, or Eddie Griffin at center then Swift could keep up with them better than Yao. No question Yao is a better helping defender though. Swift never knows where to go on pick and rolls. I guess it could have been either swift or Yao. But I still think a lineup that featured Bowen, McGrady and Artest in at the same time would be pretty crazy. Although if it were Bruce, not Ryan that would be crazier, and even less likely.

15. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

A robbery trade happens every year, when salary tax implications and expiring contracts are involved. The Pacers would save $20 million next year alone with this trade ($10 million in expired salaries, $10 million in luxury tax).

16. canoner2002

What is the lux tax line? around $60 mil? Pacers' payroll stands at around $64 mil next year.

Plus, they do not want to get rid of Tinsley. Otherwise we should make a run for him regardless what happens to Artest.

17. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

To get talks started, the Rockets would have to offer Stromile Swift and Luther Head. That'd be a nice starting point. I'm sure they'd want Wesley's expiring contract and a future first rounder on top of that. All of that could net a player like Artest and maybe a Croshere or Fred Jones to go along with him.

You know, I could see how Indiana would be more intrigued about a young, energetic, talent like Swift lining up next to Jermaine O'neal than they would be at the thought of Peja Stojakivich playing with him.

18. canoner2002

the package you proposed is 3 times better than Peja. I doubt CD is willing to give up so much though. We would be having holes at both SG and PF positions.

19. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Good one.

20. dafatha00

dafatha00 Contributing Member

Pacers should trade Artest to the Pistons. Then we can see him beat up Detroit's fans every day.