1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artest is available.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by canoner2002, Dec 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. dafatha00

dafatha00 Contributing Member

I don't think Artest is a right fit for our team. His athletic ability and defensive prowess are definitely great assets but I'm uncertain as to what kind of offensive scheme Jeff could design to best utilize Artest's skills. Add to that Artest's potential "cancerous" behavior and I think we can see that he doesn't belong here.

2. 6162002345

6162002345 Member

NO
    Never trdae young Head.

3. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Acquiring Ron Artest would be like dating a very good looking woman who has very questionable morals.

The outcome is already known. The timing is the variable.

#83 GATER, Dec 11, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

his improvemen under this coach maybe minimal
    but he definately can be better

I just hope Artest does not end up with the Lakers or some such

Rocket River

5. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

I think everybody missed one thing. Even if we traded for Artest, he openly says that he will not sign an extension but leave for NY. The only way Artest plays for Van Gundy is if Van Gundy is coaching the Knicks again.

#85 Mordo, Dec 11, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2005
  6. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

You could offer every Rocket player not named Yao or Tracy and the Pacers would ot take it.

7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Artest

for

Wesley
    Head
    Protected #1
    Chemistry
    Stability

TRADE r****dED

8. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

Artest doesnt like his #2 role in Indiana.

He will never be #1/#2 in Houston.

Indiana is looking for talent, playoffs, championship. Not rebuilding. He willl probably go to the Kings for Peja.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

If Artest became available then CD absolutely needs to make the phone call to see if we have anything they are interested in that we might be willing to give up.

That being said I think that Indy can still get quite a bit for a player of his talent.

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Artest might be throwing a little smoke.

Seems Artest and Jermaine want to part ways. Last year's Basket-Brawl created a deeper rift in their already-strained relationship.

Atlanta could return Al Harrington for Artest (I don't think Harrington wanted out of Indiana when he got traded for Stephen Jackson). That way, Indiana would not have a hole to fill at small forward. Atlanta wouldn't lose Harrington next year for nothing.

If we offered expiring contracts and a draft pick, and got creative (3 team trades), we might land the guy, but I wouldn't want to give up Luther (great attitude, fearless, great outside shot, low contract).

This is probably all academic anyway. Would JVG want a major head case on this team?

11. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Artest says he's willing to play off the bench behind certain players. Give Artest a call and see if TMac is one of them. Everybody knows JVG's reputation. If Artest is willing to come here then CD would be a fool not to make a run at him. 90% of the time, talent is the cure to all of your problems (TO is in that 10%). Is Artest in that 10% too. That's an open question and would be worth the risk depending on what Artest has to say about the Rockets.

12. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Yes it did, but JO and Ron Ron reached an understanding with each other early this year. It's SJax that is the problem because he can't accept being #3. This is what's destroying the Pacers' chemistry and why their performance from game to game varies so widely. It's almost like the team is schizo. If they trade Ron Ron, maybe SJax would be happy and quit being such a yoyo.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If somehow we had tmac, artest and yao on our team, Yao would be the third option. Artest is mismatch for any defender. If you are big enough to cover him in the post, than you are too slow to cover him on the wing. If you are fast enough to cover him on the wing, you would abused in the post. The only person that would be evenly matched is Garnett.

14. lil-vic

lil-vic Member

I don't see us having a chance at Artest. I mean, looking at our team, we have no players except for yao and tmac, that the pacers would want. Sure we have expiring contracts but it's not like the pacers are a lock for a lottery team. Everybody has them as one of the top east teams this year. We don't really have anything to offer that could help them more or as much as artest did.

But if somehow we could pull it off, I'll take him in a heartbeat He could be the "enforcer" that we've needed since we got Yao. Artest is that guy. But didn't JVG say he wouldn't get a "head cases" on the team?

15. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Yea, I can't see Artest coming here. What the hell do we have that the Pacers would ant for him (outside of Yao & TMac)?

My best bet would be the Knicks. Without looking at salaries and contract years (and a couple other players might have to be included), but I can see a Artest for Jerome James/Q. Rich trade that would work for both teams.

On a side note, I saw on hoopshype that they have more players complaining about playing time there now (Fred Jones, Anthony Johnson, David Harrison), so I would imagine there are some nice players to be had right now.

16. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

i like it!!

17. zong

zong Member

How can we get Artest? No way.

Maybe Artest and Carlise for Yao and JVG, the problems in rockets could be solved. :D :eek: :eek:

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Didn't Barkely throw someone through a bar window? Didn't TMac PUNCH Bobby Jackson a couple years back?

Ya, Artest made a HUGE mistake by going into the stands last season but as far as I know, both Eddie and Artest have been on their best behavior ever since. I guess there are no 2nd chances in the NBA?

YOu're talking about the BEST perimeter defender in the league while being a legitimate scorer who can shoot, create his own shot, and run thre break, 3 things we are desperately missing.

19. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

It would kill me as a Rockets fan to have Artest on the team.. I don’t want that punk wearing Rocket red that uniform is for the Rudy T's the Calvin Murphys the Dreams and the Clydes of the NBA, not the new version of Karl Malone :mad:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Keep the TRASH of the NBA outside our house..

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Won't happen. Even Peja for Artest is a serious longshot. Peja's going to opt out this summer and be a FA, and no way are the Pacers looking to replace their #2 guy on a near-contender roster with expiring deals. They aren't going to look to rebuild, they'll look to bring in a comparable talent.

Paul Pierce, Steve Francis, and Lamar Odom are far more likely as targets.

Evan