1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Artest is available.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by canoner2002, Dec 10, 2005.

Tags:
  1. hooroo

hooroo Member

neither mobley or maggette's contracts are going to help the pacers financial situation.

mobley's 30 has contract running through to 2009, he could also wake up tomorrow with an old man's game, but with a contract twice the size of wesley's.

2. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

I must admit the thought of Artest playing Defense on the perimeter for the Rox and locking down Ginobli is pretty freaking tempting. :cool:

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I don't know why the Clips would offer Maggette. Maggette is a stud in his own right and w/out the baggage. Why swap if I'm the Clips?

Odem's contract is much bigger than Artest's. That means Pacers would have to give up somebody else. Why would the Pacer's want to do that?

I don't see the Clips or Lakers deals working out.

4. Stunna

Stunna Member

well they just talked about Artest on 4down segement on Cold Pizza. Skip Bayless's 3 picks as to where Artest could go were 1. Suns, 2. Rockets, 3.Kings. he didn't elaborate on why those were his 3 predictions, and Woody mentioned the Mavs and Nuggets as teams he believed Artest would land. If we don't get Ron, what sucks will be that some team from the west we Rocket fans probably despise WILL get hiim and maybe make push some team over Houston when you talk about western conference powers.

(i know that rockets are not among western conference powers right now, but we are all hoping they are one 40-50 games down the road)

5. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

My guess, is that he'll either end up in Dallas or Seattle.

6. SwiftRocket

SwiftRocket Member

Hey I have a question. If Peja is on the market, why not make a run at him? I think that he would do awesome anywhere he does not have to be the #1 option. On top of that his market value is pretty low right now, so I dont know who we would have to part with but I would take Peja over Artest simply b/c Artest tooo self centered to fit in JVG's systerm.

7. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Who's gonna stop Duncan? Parker?

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Who's gonna stop TMac, Artest, Yao???

9. krosfyah

Yao/Juwan do a respectible job against Duncan. IIRC, Duncan usually does NOT get to his season average when he plays Houston.

Now Parker, he always lights us up. But w/ Artest on Manu we have more flexibility to double down on Parker w/ TMac and Wesley.

Artest gives us defensive options.

10. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Maybe in playstation nobody. Here is my take: If it means giving up both Head and Swift for an Artest who is unpredictable, has stated that he wants to retire in two years (to box or was it the music industry?) and has gone on record as not liking a structured offense and leaving to the East coast after his contract is up then I say NO.

IMO, I think the Rockets need to go after role players.

11. 12stonestool

12stonestool Member

I say yes as good as Head was doing man we didnt expect him to be that good kinda ala Mike Dickerson &co. for stevie. Head is good and its great that he is doing well for us i love him but i would trade him and someone else +or- Jon barry the deal is done. Artest will not retire he is a drama queen. But hell work his arse off.

12. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Swift and Head for Artest? Sure.

I'd trade Horry and Cassell for Barkley. oh wait, which one are we talking about again?

Not to derail, as I think that we have experience mortgaging the future for the present.

Having had the benefit of hindsight would you have made that deal again?

Artest is younger, no doubt, and still in his prime, so that parrallel is not applicable. But if we only get two years out of him, since he's Knicks bound at first opportunity, self-acclaimed, it somewhat runs an eery similarity to the Rockets deal made some nine years back.

13. krosfyah

Here's my take:

I'm not worried about two years. In two years, Yao and Tmac could be absolutely dominating (since Yao imroves each year). In the meantime, we need help.

Artest doesn't like a structured offense? Then why did he say his 1st choice is New York w/ Larry Brown who is as structured as any coach.

Artest also said he wants to be more of a focus on the team BUT then said he'd be willing to come off the bench behind the right player (If LJames is okay then TMac probably is too).

Artest seems to contradict himself constantly so I don't put too much stock in any one thing he says.

Artest's strenghts answer virtually all of our current weaknesses. Guard penetration, better rebounding, 3rd scoring option and general grittyness. If JVG thinks he can handle the personality, I say go for it.

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I think he wants to go to NY for the city, not the team. It's a Hip-Hop mecca, not to mention all of the other hip-hop related opportunities there for him. He isn't thinking about basketball with this one.

15. 523744

523744 Member

...or maybe because its his hometown and wants to play at home

16. krosfyah

Maybe. But it is still a structured offense.

Clearly Artest isn't thinking through the rationale. He's just trying to do/say anything he can to make a trade happen. So I don't put too much stock the words coming from his mouth as he contradicts himself everytime he speaks.

All I'm worried about is:

1.) Does JVG think he can tame Artest?
    2.) If so, can Artest help the Rockets?

If the answer to #1 is yes, then the answer to #2 is a resounding yes.

17. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I somewhat agree with you. I hate the idea of giving up both, especially since Stromile seems to be improving. That's a big price to pay. And I hate giving up Luther, even if it is just Luther by himself and another expiring deal, say Wesley, along with a draft pick or two. But, you've gotta give up something to get something and I think we'd have to be willing to give up either Luther or Stromile to get Artest. The player that makes the most sense for us to give up in our eyes and in Indy's eyes would be Luther. Artest is a perimeter player.......Luther is a perimeter player. I think we'd have to wish the rookie well, because he is gonna be a player in this league, and take a chance on Ronnie.

I would have extreme doubts though about giving up Stromile and Luther together......unless we had a plan to dump an expiring or two on Seattle or NOK for Reggie Evans or .............P.J. Think about that for a minute. If we could get one of those 2 for expiring contracts, then I would be more willing to deal Stromile to get Artest.

Rafer
    Artest
    TMac
    Yao
    P.J. Brown or Reggie Evans

#217 jopatmc, Dec 14, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  18. michellexiao

michellexiao Contributing Member

It's not like we can stop them now.

19. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

This line of thinking, I like. Artest, then somewhere down the line, send Moochie's expiring contract to NOK for P. J Brown. So, with Sura coming back, this team is set. I don't understand how that team does not win it all.

Sura
    Artest
    Yao
    Mcgrady
    P.J. Brown