1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arsalan Kazemi

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by PersianRocket, Mar 21, 2013.

?

Should the Rockets Go After Kazemi?

1. Only If He Goes Undrafted

28.9%
  2. No He Won't Pan Out

51.1%
  3. Yes! He'd be a good addition to the team.

20.0%
  1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

yep -- If you knew anything about Morcos (the asst coach) then you'd know

All of these players that transferred did so out of self-interest. It wasn't limited to Oraby and Kazemi. Other non-Iranian and non-Egyptian guys transferred.

2. Nextup

Nextup Member

To assume kazemi is a liar is wrong. What evidence do you have that kazemi is lying?

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

knowledge of people at Rice

It is also a he-said/she-said type of situation. You cannot prove he's not lying

just look at what not only he did, but also others from Rice -- they all "transferred up" to increase their NBA visibility

4. DreamRoxCoogFan

Ha. bigtexxx of all people is left up to prove that Rice isn't racist? Hmmm...

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred out of self-interest. All the international players seemingly transferred overnight and it was pretty odd.

5. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

not only int'l players. other guys left too

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

As a Persian Oregon Ducks fan, and someone who has watched this guy play this season I think I can safely say his game will not translate well to the NBA. He's a big fish in a small pond, he has some good plays, but if we really were looking for a great guy with size there are much, much better options. I would take Hill out of Arizona over Kazemi anyday...

7. Stack24

Stack24 Member

I have to agree with you on this 100%. He is not NBA material as of right now and he would have to improve a LOT in my opinion to make the NBA.

8. kevC

kevC Member

Among the Rice community, it's pretty much assumed that they lied for self-interest because of how revered the coach was, but I guess you never know. Those dudes were some shifty bastards though from what I hear from first hand accounts (I was at Rice 06-10).

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

If a team picked him with a late second rounder, let's say late 40s (via cash or some cheap trade) it would be fitting. Send him down to the D-League for 1-2 years and he could mature into a player like Greg Smith. Maybe.

10. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Just because its Rice that doesnt mean he was lying

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

another royce white?

12. Anxiety Trooper

Very plausible. Rice is full of racist (see Bigtexxx)

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

wrong. You're clueless.

I'm almost certain Kazemi made up these allegations.

1. He acted out of self-interest so he could "transfer-up" to a better program to increase his NBA/international profile

2. The Egyptian basketball coach (Morcos) who brought Kazemi to Rice was dismissed in the Spring. Kazemi was loyal to Morcos.

3. Kazemi was the last of the transfers to leave (6 guys left Rice, only two of which were from Iran/Egypt). He was going to stay but after everybody left he knew the team would suck so he trumped up the charges that are pure he said/she said and difficult to disprove

4. Reports from current students confirm this...

14. No Worries

No Worries Member

Based on second hand information, you are almost certain?

15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Member

do you disagree that the motive was there?

16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

He is a really good rebounder, but the reality is he is an undersized power forward with limited offensive game. He is not an outside shooter and I would guess it will be a challenge for him to get his shot off against the bigger NBA power forwards. He is Thomas Robinson without elite athleticism.

17. SuraGotMadHops

Absolutely, all this garbage started when Morcos was dismissed. He cried discrimination and got all of his recruits to follow. If you've ever met Morcos, you'll immediately see he is a punk, a bully, and an instigator.

18. Anxiety Trooper

Man... second time I get negged for making a comment about Bigtexx. Big are you a mod? We are discussing racism at rice in this thread and I get negged for bringing up something that 90% of the bbs believes. This mod has it in for me or something. He must have hate people with anxiety because of Royce white's antics.

19. No Worries

No Worries Member

I have no idea what the motive was for dismissing Morcos or why Kazemi decided to leave. And neither do you.

20. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-c...30329/arsalan-kazemi-rice-racial-allegations/

So the NCAA who decided to grant the waiver, two other players, a coach who is going to EEOC are all making this up? It doesn't look very good.

Rick Greenspan has been called the "worst Athletic Director hire in history."