1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Arrest Rates] Staggering disparity!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BamBam, Mar 12, 2015.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Racial gap in U.S. arrest rates: 'Staggering disparity'

[​IMG]

There is no denying that black people get arrested far more than any other race. This is a fact! Why? Is it pure racism or does the data reflect the end results of living in a certain environment, an environment that causes black people to get arrested at a much higher rate? Keep it civil...;)

Full story is here....http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/11/18/ferguson-black-arrest-rates/19043207/
    The article includes an interactive map of arrests by race, which comes from data that police departments report to the FBI each year.

Lock if already posted.

2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

3. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

This problem is not specific to America.

Areas are targeted that show historical high crime rates. Cause and effect.

4. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

The facts just don't back this up. Even in affluent areas, people of color are more likely to be targeted by police.

Look at stop and frisk in New York -- people of color made up about 85% of the people stopped, even though they do not make up 85% of the population of the areas they were stopped in.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Wait, based on this report:

Are you saying that if they commit a crime, they should not be arrested because they're black?

Or are you saying that more white people should be getting caught?

:confused:

If someone commits a crime, throw the book at them, no matter what color they are. From that report, it just seems that blacks are doing more crime or getting caught more. That's all. Stop stereotyping.

1 person likes this.
  6. HamJam

If you are talking about rape or murder, sure, throw the book at everyone -- but we are talking primarily about non-violent crime here.

And the issue is that whites are not-prosecuted or are less prosecuted than people of color for non-violent crimes and that whites are less scrutinized by law enforcement than people of color (i.e. stopped less -- see the stop and frisk numbers I mentioned above in a previous post) -- and, because of the decreased rate of interaction with police, whites are arrested less.

The point is that the decreased rate of interaction with police is based to a large degree on race -- and this in turn affects the arrest and incarceration rates.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

^Good post. Of course, swoly would have that take. If they're committing a crime, throw em in jail approach (which doesn't take into account if the law is stupid/silly or not). In before Swoly says well you shouldn't be committing that crime in any case then. One of his many schticks is being a goody two shoes.

The rate of white people getting a slap on the wrist compared to blacks, hispanics, etc being higher should not surprise anyone.

8. NBAandNFLFan

NBAandNFLFan Member

sad to say this but america has no use for blacks anymore. the recent shootings, arrests, are not by accident.. they are done to keep black men caged and away from the outside world..

the american government has their new black people with hispanics

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This has been going on for decades. It's very sad, very disturbing, very unfair, and it is absurd that there are people who actually attempt to make excuses for it.

10. SwoLy-D

^
    No one is making excuses for it, just saying there's no true "solution" for this if the same people are continuing to break laws and the same people are continuing to be dishonest and crooked politicians. So become a law maker... and see what you can do to change that.
    I never said I was perfect. Yes, I have sped, littered, maybe even trespassed, OK, but... if I'm guilty, then I'm guilty and I shouldn't be treated differently.
    Should we refer to people committing these crimes as numbers, make them show up to court in covered bodies, let the judge decide based on the crime, then?

That would be a solution? Agree? :eek:

11. HamJam

Actually, in your previous post it seemed like you were saying there isn't a problem, and now you seem to have changed to a refrain of there not being a solution. So, for clarity sake, do you think there is a problem of racial profiling leading to a disparity in increased arrest and incarceration rates for people of color or not?

There certainly is an interesting conversation to be had for solutions, but that conversation can't even begin if people do not believe there is a problem.

12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Shoulda coulda woulda. The premise of the thread is that it's basically a fact that different ethnicities are being treated differently making your point moot.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i have 3 things to say.

1. perhaps black people commit more crimes. i mean actual crimes of all kinds. there are reasons for this obviously. education, economic status, and because they are actually targeted more by police.

2. police actually do target them more. no one can argue that. and there are obviously many reasons for this also. one of which is there are some racist and bigot cops out there mixed in with ones that are not.

3. black people dont tip. and other races do. please black people start tipping your servers and bartenders. sheesh

2 people like this.
  14. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Appearance can be a factor in perception.

I had a friend that was always in trouble with the cops. He had a big truck with huge tires, a sticker that said "bad cop no donut", a really loud stereo, and an exhaust system that would wake the dead. When he was looking for a new vehicle he asked me what to get. I told him to get some thing inconspicuous and quiet if he wanted to stop getting in trouble. He did, and poof no more getting pulled over for "nothing". (FYI he deserved to be pulled over more often than not)

People gain credibility from their peers by dressing, looking and acting in am manner that is accepted. I like to wear dress clothes, especially at work. I think in most cases I would receive the benefit of the doubt from an officer of the law that I am not a criminal. I could be, but I don't look like one. If my peers accepted me for wearing attire that originated from prison life I might have to decide if those type of clothes would create a perception that is not what I want. If that is what I want, I accept the reality that the perception I create might be harmful in some circumstances.

Should this be a factor in determining who might be a criminal? There is no way for it not to be.

I'm not saying that this is the whole problem but I know I avoid anything that would bring me negative attention from the cops. Should I have to? Maybe not but it seems like the smart thing to do since I don't want to get into trouble.

#14 okierock, Mar 12, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  15. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Great point, OP. Let's just STOP arresting blacks who break the law. That's the best idea I've heard all day.

1 person likes this.
  16. edwardc

edwardc Member

It was just a matter of time before you chimed in with your normal BS trolling ways. Lets just stop arresting blacks who break the law those aren't the ones that people are complaining about it the blacks, browns and white who have not committed a crime that most are concerned about the false arrest.

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

You are pathetic! All I did was make a thread on a known fact! Black people are arrested at a far greater volume than any other race! I never gave an opinion on why this takes place, nor did I advocate any leniency towards anyone who breaks the law! What I said came directly from reading the article. Did you read the article or are you programmed to automatically attack anyone who you view as a dissident to your ideals? If you feel that the article is biased or inaccurate feel free to vent your frustration towards the author of the article, not the messenger!

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

If my race was a beneficiary or neutral bystander of such policy, then I would be inclined to support the natural order.

I wouldn't call it explicit racism, but rather an unconscious clinging to privilege.

19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

What if you were one of the overwhelming majority of black people who'd never been arrested?

20. SwoLy-D

Nope.
    I'm giving an offer to a solution for those who think there's a problem and those willing to "compromise" that there might not be one and there's no point in trying to argue a solution that changes everyone's beliefs right now. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. :eek:

Is it coincidence that it's one race that is the one, by comparison of percentages, the one which continuously tries to blame society for their own mistakes? :confused: Gotta get out of that cycle first.