1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Around the Horn: Boston will trade Rondo because Rondo wants out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

We are getting Rondo aren't we? I knew it!!!

[​IMG]

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He never said that.

3. Raven

Raven Member

I'm not saying it's a desperation move, but it's a desperation move, although Rondo's contract does expire next Summer, which would allow Morey to chase Dragic or another star free agent.

4. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Count me as one of the guys that is not enamored with the idea of acquiring Rondo. If it happens I will trust Morey knows what he is doing, but i'm not sure how great of a fit he is on this team.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I personally don't see Morey pulling the trigger for Rondo unless the point is absolutely right. Because, why trade for Rondo when we can just sign him next off season without giving up key assets?

I say we dump ALL of our assets on one good player on a rookie contract, then try to sign Rondo, Dragic, Rubio, Faried, Milsap etc next off season.

6. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

Here kitty, kitty, kitty..

:p

7. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Giving up Bev for another point guard doesn't fix our lack of depth at PG. I'm guessing you really don't like Bev.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hoping to replace a fringe starter, with an all star point guard means he must really not like Beverley?

Seriously?

I understand if people knock Rondo for his injuries, but c'mon lets not pretend Beverley is anywhere near Rondo's level.

Rondo/Canaan/Smith

Is better then

Beverley/Canaan/Smith

You upgrade the depth by upgrading the starting player.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

The only relationship that really has to work is Rondo and McHale. If they get along, I do a deal. This reminds me of all the talk about Metta World Peace before he came to the Rockets.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

TJones and Bev are likely at or close to their peak trade values right now. Bev is coming off a 2nd team all nba defense performance, and he's an average shooter in just his 2nd year in the league. TJones has shown he's an elite finisher at the rim.

I wouldn't trade Bev for Rondo, but if he's necessary to get Dragic.....

1 person likes this.
  11. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Bev is not on Rondo's level.

Upgrade to a much better starter PG is better than adding a seasoned backup PG.

I like Bev and his contract to put him in the trade to add value and enticement.
    It's a reasonable prediction, you think we can get Rondo for free?

12. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Yes, seriously. Bev was 2nd team All Defense with a reliable 3. Rondo is a better player, but let's not pretend he's the solution to our problems at PG if we give up Bev in the process. He's not THAT big of an upgrade considering the baggage he brings.

I understand PG and PF are our biggest areas of weakness right now, but upgrading our PG while costing us our starting PG and PF not only doesn't improve out PG depth (yes, depth; starter does not equal depth in this sense) but it makes our PF depth worse. And you're doing that for a 1 year rental?

I'm not saying don't trade for Rondo. Just don't include the player that would actually provide us with some PG depth, THE reason you'd look to add Rondo.

1 person likes this.
  13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Dragic doesn't come with the same baggage that Rondo does. So I'd be much more inclined to include him in this situation. But we're talking about Rondo.

15. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Since I've already explained that I don't think Bev is on Rondo's level, I'm leaving that alone.

I didn't suggest getting Rondo for free. I'm suggesting you not trade Bev for him.

Now, you do have a point about upgrading a better starting PG being better than adding a seasoned backup PG. I just disagree that Rondo is so much better than Bev that swapping the two and losing our 2 best trade assets in the process are worth it.

16. delishman

delishman Member

#KeepPlowing

1 person likes this.
  17. Chamillionaire

I see what you did there. #plowmanFTW

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Why do people forget that Bev's one weakness is his position's main focus: assists.

19. Lin On Me

Lin On Me Member

+1 +1 +1

20. baubo

baubo Member

No need to compare Rondo to Beverley because Celtics don't want Bev if they're trading Rondo. It's much more likely they prefer players with more years under control, like Jones or Capella or picks.