1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Armoni Brooks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HeyBudLetsParty, Apr 18, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Porter is the future, not Wall. If Rockets had any balls, they would sit Wall down as positively as possible explain to Wall that team success requires him to come off bench.

Looking at you Silas.

burlesk and Jturbofuel like this.
  2. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I don't see why Wall and Gordon HAVE to play just cause they're on the roster. If we draft a guard that needs minutes, Wall and Gordon can have their checks wired to them in Cancun for all I care. Aldridge did it this year before the buyout. Iggy did it in Memphis.

burlesk, ilias, Corrosion and 2 others like this.
  3. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

The players union would killed us If we forced wall to sit out against his wishes. It would be a bad look.

burlesk likes this.
  4. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Thanks.... The RFA / UFA question was what I didn't understand.

Have to wonder if he'd take a contract like that .... Shooters get paid in this league.

I can just imagine him in a Rick Adleman offense ....coming off of picks and pin downs or passes out of the high post ....

RudyTBag likes this.
  5. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Percentage doesn't necessarily indicate game by game consistency.

Just look at the 6 games he's played. He's shooting 40% overall. In two of the games he shot 0% and 18% in another,. He also shot 50% another game and was over 80% in 2 others. Obviously a small sample but still an example of how overall percentage might not indicate game to game consistency.

Hopefully he's become more consistent game to game

Aruba77 likes this.
  6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Even the best shooters have ups and downs from game to game. Nobody will give you 40% every game

D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

This happens to shooters across the board. It isn’t just an armoni issue. The best shooters in the game go through it as well. And yes they do have games where their %’s are just as low

#87 YOLO, Apr 19, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    Nook likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well what you want to avoid are the 2-11s like tonight.

there are more than 50 NBA players over 40% from 3, we have one - Sterling Brown at 42.5%, we need better shooting at the guard spots.

DD

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sounds very much like Eric Gordon's shooting. :D

apollo33 and harold bingo like this.
  10. aelliott

The point wasn't that good shooters don't have bad games. Nobody is saying that. My original point was that he was very streaky at UH. Either really hot or really cold. You can be hot and cold like that and still have a good percentage. There's a difference between being a good percentage shooter and a consistent shooter. That was my point.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Thats life as a shooter though. Especially as role players

Nook likes this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

he’s really not too expensive (sic). His injury i.e. availability ability is the tougher sell on him.

13. aelliott

Wasn't implying that good shooters don't have bad games. Since the day they signed Brooks I've stated that he was very streaky at UH. Either red hot or ice cold. He still shot a very good percentage but he wasn't consistent from game to game.

It's been a couple of years since he left UH and it obviously hasn't been enough games with the Rockets to make any determinations. Hopefully, he's become more consistent.

While the really good shooters do occasionally have bad games, they typically don't have that much variance in their results. The consistency part of it is extremely important.

Take a look at the game by game stats of the really great shooters and see how many games they have where they shoot below 25%.

Here's some examples from this season showing the percent of games where a shooter shot below 25%.:

D. Robinson - 4/58 = 6% of games

J. Harris - 6/57 = 10.5% of games

K. Durant - 1/24 = 4% of games

S. Curry - 8/50 = 16% of games

J. Ingels = 7/53 = 13.2% of games

C. McCollum - 3/32 = 9.6% of games

D. Lillard - 7/52 = 13% of games

B. Hield - 9/56 = 16% of games

Those guys are great shooters. They do occassionally have bad games but it's not that often. As the volume of attempts per game go up, the percentages get more difficult to maintain.

Sterling Brown is an example of a guy who's a good 3 point shooter but not terribly consistent. He falls in the group of shooters with good percentages but much more variance in their day to day results.

S. Brown - 14/53 = 26.4% of games.
    Z. LaVine - 12/53 = 22.6 % of games
    L. Kennard - 13/53 = 24.5 % of games.

Which group does Brooks fall into in the NBA? We won't know until we see more games. In college, he was more similar to Brown.

14. aelliott

The really good shooters don't have that much variance in their game to game performance. Brooks was up and down from game to game in college. The hope is that he's gained more consistency in the 2 years since he left UH so that he can be counted on most every game.

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

His shooting isn’t really the problem, especially on this team. It’s the rest of his game thats always been a question of whether it can translate to the next level. But in the modern era there’s room for snipers like him whether it’s here or somewhere else. Variance also takes into account their roles and how looks change from game to game. There’s a difference bw sporadic looks and guys who are featured every night and know what shots they’re going to get night in and night out. Those matter right now, brooks window is extremely small and he’s absolutely taking advantage of it as he should in when he’s on the floor

#95 YOLO, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the numbers. I was joking about Eric Gordon. I looked at his best shooting season, 2014-15: 12/61 = 19.7% (shot 44% overall)
    The other guy I felt very inconsistent was Jamal Murray. Before he got injured, this is his game by game percentage this season: 10/48 = 20.8% (shot 41% overall)

I consider both of these guys very streaky.

17. aelliott

I don't disagree with any of that other than labeling him a sniper.

I just remember sitting in the stands at UH games and him driving me crazy with his inconsistency. One game he'd brick wide open shot after wide open shot. Another game, he's take a 3 with a guy in his face and I'm going "No, No, No....good shot!". It was always a roller coaster with him and you couldn't really depend on him from game to game.

Out of curiosity, I went and checked his UH stats:

He played 100 games for the mighty Coogs and he shot below 25% on 3s in 28 of those games (28%).

Here's the breakdown by season:

Freshman - 28.5%

Soph - 25.7 %

Junior - 29.72%

My comments on Brooks were based on what I saw at UH. He was one of the main guys there and played consistent starters minutes.

jch1911 and RudyTBag like this.
  18. aelliott

Agreed. Murray is a great example. Very streaky.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

You keep referencing UH as if you're the only one that's watched him from there. Yeah he was one of the main guys out there yet college can be as sporadic for shooters as anything. It's college basketball, of course it's going to be up and downs. Game to game many teams, especially the AAC which has been known as a defensive oriented conference take away a lot of shooters. call him a sniper and I'm going to stick with that. that's what he is. I mean he even calls himself that and what the UH team saw him as lol. I've already mentioned in the UH basketball thread a long time ago that I've been around those guys and have an avenue through very close staff next to Sampson.

Brooks didn't make a leap until his soph year. His confidence grew significantly the next year. But it still wasn't great enough to where the entire staff thought he should make the leap into the league. Many of them advised he stay but ultimately it was his decision. He got enough feedback during the draft process that he felt was enough to forgo another year at UH.

#99 YOLO, Apr 20, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
  20. aelliott

I was simply qualifying my observations of him as being during his time at UH (i.e. not in the G-League). Not sure why you'd assume I was saying that I was the only one that saw him. Obviously I wasn't.

Yes they faced some great defensive teams but way too often he bricked wide open 3s all game long.

He was inconsistent in each of his 3 seasons at UH. His most inconsistent season was his final year. It's not like he got more consistent with experience.

That's great that you knows somebody who's connected to UH but that doesn't change the numbers. He was incredibly streaky his entire time at UH. He's had two years in the G-League so maybe he's improved. Hopefully so. You can't really be a one trick pony and be that inconsistent and expect to stick in the NBA.

Ketchup&Mustard likes this.