1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arlington Cowboys Stadium: New Standards in Extravagance

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by weslinder, Dec 12, 2006.

1. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I guess that's why they've had so many Super Bowls at FedEx Field.

But if capacity beats everything else, then Houston is in pretty good shape. Bigger than Tampa and Phoenix and within spitting distance of Miami and San Diego.

And a big part of the money of the Super Bowl is all the people who come and take part in the events during the week before the game. If nobody wants to go back because it's cold and everything is thirty miles away and you can't even get to most of them because there's no transportation, then the money is going to be less.

2. updawg

updawg Member

I agree, I don't think dallas will be getting multiple superbowls.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

My money would be on Dallas getting the next Super Bowl in Texas (not counting the one already given to Dallas). I wouldn't go as far as saying they'll be a perennial site like San Diego, New Orleans, or Miami.

Dallas is also becoming a player in college football. If the BCS expands, I think the Cotton Bowl is now an option.

Arizona St. vs. Notre Dame

Arkansas vs. Texas A&M

Baylor vs. Texas Tech

Oklahoma vs. BYU

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

They have 5 different turfs they can lay down:
    NFL, NCAA, SOCCER, OTHER, and Jessica Simpson pubes. :eek:

5. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I meant Grass vs Pretend Grass vs Jessica Simpson's... grass.

I think FIFA rather use the real deal instead of pretend grass, and Jessica...

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

ASU plays ND at the Death Star? Who gets to decide that? If they aren't playing a Texas school keep them out of the state. We need all the recruits we can get.

7. SwoLy-D

the Mexico vs. Guadalupe game was played on that artificial turf. It WAS difficult for the players. Costa Rica has artificial turf at Saprissa already... I don't think FIFA has a say in all that anymore. :p

8. Jayou

Jayou Member

FedEx field is in D.C. Cold weather city, right? They don't do Super Bowls in cold weather cities.

As much as we Houstonians may want delude ourselves into thinking that we'll still get Super Bowls and the like, the fact of the matter is that Dallas has a much higher profile nationally.

And with this new bad mofo stadium, Houston can kiss it's hopes goodbye.

9. SwoLy-D

Chelsea (ENG) vs. Club América (MEX) playing at the stadium now. The artificial turf or natural turf (or whatever it is) looks AWFUL. :D

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Jerry Jones and the schools agreed to it.

11. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

How did it look on tv? I didn't get to see the game. I wasn't at home. I was gonna try and catch the last parts of it but this rainstorm killed the power and now comcast has died.

12. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I believe they put down real grass just for this match. I walked around the pitch while Chelsea were training and it felt like real grass.

Impressive, fantastic, those words don't do the stadium justice. I can only imagine Jerry Jones buddy, Daniel Snyders face when he comes to town with his Redskins and gets a tour of it. It is absolutely cavernous.
    From the press box to the regular seating areas to under the stands-the tunnels by the locker rooms, just so much space.

Went to the match- Saw Jerry, met Garth Brooks and Trisha Yearwood(Absolutely humble and genial people), and the Chelski players.

Absolute monsoon like conditions outside though-during the match.

13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Also, since most of us are NBA fans. Lamarcus Aldridge came out to watch the Chelsea training session yesterday and he took a penalty on Peter Cech after some coaching by Drogba.

I asked him about the beautiful game and he said he used to play as a kid and has been learning more about the club game from Rudy Fernandez and Sergio Rodriguez.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i would think within 5-10 years a lot of things would be built closer to the stadium. thats just me guessing though.

15. mrpaige

I've only lived here for twelve years or so, but it sure seems to me like Dallas is a cold-weather city in early February.

I guess it will take those 8 football games per year to put them over the top development-wise. The 81 baseball games they've been playing there for the last 40 years (and the popular amusement park) couldn't do it.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

You know, they probably said that when the Ballpark at Arlington was built...You have six flags, now the Cowboy's stadium...traffic is going to suck even more...

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I can't believe this thing would've been built without some kind of under-the-table agreement with the NFL about getting multiple Superbowls.

I agree with everyone saying Houston will never get another Superbowl. Sucks, but it's probably true.

18. mrpaige

#118 mrpaige, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

football stadiums don't generate that sort of traffic that encourages development around it.

the baseball park next door that enterains fans 81 nights a year has far greater impact on local business development than 10 Sundays a season.

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't know about that, I understand your point but I think the area around Reliant experienced an economic downturn when the Dome closed and has benefited from when the stadium was built.

and secondly I don't outside of few bars, and the inn at the ballpark, the area around Minute Maid has experienced half the redevelopment that was expected. maybe its a slow process but after ten years I would have expected more.