1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arlington Cowboys Stadium: New Standards in Extravagance

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by weslinder, Dec 12, 2006.

1. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

They might be afraid that they will kick the ball too hard up in the air and destroy the screen?

How many kickers can kick a ball 100 feet in the air?

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

How many stadiums will be built before the architects understand the concept of contrast and sunlight? Texas stadium is the by far worst but even in our own state of the art stadium people are blinded by the contrast of shade and light from the slit opening roofs.

Sure natural grass is great but it's damn hard to grow it down in the bottom of a barrel. Put the roof on so you don't end up with blinding bright spots and can control the eviroment for the people. Then, roll the grass out from under it out into the sun, where the grass lives most days becomes your entry court on Sunday.

rant over, back to my puny powerless world.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Apparently, the average punt goes 80 feet in the air, so it seems likely that it would happen at least a couple times a season.

I mean, the average punt is probably about 40 yards, but that doesn't mean that there aren't punts of 50 and 60 yards regularly.

4. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Thing is, punters typically try to kick the ball as far down field as they can. They rarely try to kick it a mile high...

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That's a good point.

It doesn't always happen though. And what happens when they're trying to pin the opposing team within their 20?

6. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

That stadium is alright looking.

The scoreboard is pretty neat though.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They wanted the roof to look exactly like Texas Stadium's "famous/historic" roof. :D :rolleyes: :D

Honestly, don't they realize that Texas Stadium was originally designed to have a retractable roof (thus it was built like it was), but it turned out that the roof wasn't feasible ($$$$). Thus, they were left with a meaningless hole in the roof that turns that place into a SAUNA, and creates horrible shadows on tv.

But yea... "god can watch his favorite team play." :rolleyes:

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Or at least the part of the game between the 30 yard lines. :D

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

A stiff breeze ought to send that hanging scoreboard tumbling to earth just in time to crush David Carr as he's about to throw the winning TD pass in Superbowl 48.

Alas, David.. we hardly knew yee..

10. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Wish they would put that stadium in Dallas or Irving or somewhere else. I like Arlington just the way it is.

11. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I vote for Shreveport.

12. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Its an interesting design but since I didn't get the contract I am still going to say the Cowboys suck.

One thing that I've noticed about new stadiums is that the NFL has taken the opposite approach from MLB in regard to making futuristic stadiums than retro looking ones.

13. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

The Metrodome has hanging speakers, I'm not sure how high but I'm guessing they aren't much more than 80'. I've never seen a punt come close. I've seen baseballs hit them and they are considered in the field of plan.

Also punters do want to kick the ball high to get more hangtime for the coverage to get downfield.

14. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

:eek: Think of how cool it would be to play Madden 2010 on that screen!!!! :eek:

15. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

That's the most badass stadium i've ever seen. That thing is awesome, pencil them in for hosting multiple superbowls.

16. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

That stadium is being built right behind my company's building.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I dont think so

ok here is the thing

- a punter kicks the ball low to travel 50 yards and the opposite team return like 15 (net yards: 35)

- or a punter kicks the ball high to travel 20 yds and the opposite have no time to return the ball (net yards: 20)

What do you want?

18. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

dare i ask if there is any public transport out there?

19. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

public transport.. texas...haha

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Two problems with this.

First, You can kick it high and long. It's not an either/or dichotomy. The best punters not only have distance but they also put a high arc on the ball to create good hangtime.

Second, there are short range punt situations when you're on the edge of field goal range.