1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Arkansas GOP Candidates on Slavery and Muslims

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Why does it seem to me that GOP members and supporters seem to quickly complain about race being brought up but are often the ones bringing up the subject themselves?

Also, I've seen the "slavery was good for black people" argument many times before. Why is it that people like this believe that but as soon as a black person complains about their lower tier in society and attributes it to slavery then all of a sudden slavery does not matter because the complainer never was a slave. You can't have it both ways. Personally, I hate both arguments.

http://news.yahoo.com/ark-gop-calls-candidates-statements-offensive-212508499.html

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) — Arkansas Republicans tried to distance themselves Saturday from a Republican state representative's assertion that slavery was a "blessing in disguise" and a Republican state House candidate who advocates deporting all Muslims.

The claims were made in books written, respectively, by Rep. Jon Hubbard of Jonesboro and House candidate Charlie Fuqua of Batesville. Those books received attention on Internet news sites Friday.

On Saturday, state GOP Chairman Doyle Webb called the books "highly offensive." And U.S. Rep. Rick Crawford, a Republican who represents northeast Arkansas, called the writings "divisive and racially inflammatory."
    Hubbard wrote in his 2009 self-published book, "Letters To The Editor: Confessions Of A Frustrated Conservative," that "the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise." He also wrote that African-Americans were better off than they would have been had they not been captured and shipped to the United States.

Fuqua, who served in the Arkansas House from 1996 to 1998, wrote there is "no solution to the Muslim problem short of expelling all followers of the religion from the United States," in his 2012 book, titled "God's Law."
    Fuqua said Saturday that he hadn't realized he'd become a target within his own party, which he said surprised him.

"I think my views are fairly well-accepted by most people," Fuqua said before hanging up, saying he was busy knocking on voters' doors. The attorney is running against incumbent Democratic Rep. James McLean in House District 63.

Hubbard, a marketing representative, didn't return voicemail messages seeking comment Saturday. He is running against Democrat Harold Copenhaver in House District 58.

The November elections could be a crucial turning point in Arkansas politics. Democrats hold narrow majorities in both chambers, but the GOP has been working hard to swing the Legislature its way for the first time since the end of the Civil War, buoyed by picking up three congressional seats in 2010. Their efforts have also been backed by an influx of money from national conservative groups.

Rep. Crawford said Saturday he was "disappointed and disturbed."
    "The statements that have been reported portray attitudes and beliefs that would return our state and country to a harmful and regrettable past," Crawford said.

U.S. Rep. Tim Griffin, R-Ark., kicked off the GOP's response Saturday by issuing a release, saying the "statements of Hubbard and Fuqua are ridiculous, outrageous and have no place in the civil discourse of either party."

"Had I known of these statements, I would not have contributed to their campaigns. I am requesting that they give my contributions to charity," said Griffin, who donated $100 to each candidate.

The Arkansas Republican House Caucus followed, saying the views of Hubbard and Fuqua "are in no way reflective of, or endorsed by, the Republican caucus. The constituencies they are seeking to represent will ultimately judge these statements at the ballot box."

Then Webb, who has spearheaded the party's attempt to control the Legislature, said the writings "were highly offensive to many Americans and do not reflect the viewpoints of the Republican Party of Arkansas. While we respect their right to freedom of expression and thought, we strongly disagree with those ideas."

Webb, though, accused state Democrats of using the issue as a distraction.
    Democrats themselves have been largely silent, aside from the state party's tweet and Facebook post calling attention to the writings. A Democratic Party spokesman didn't immediately return a call for comment Saturday.

The two candidates share other political and religious views on their campaign websites.

Hubbard, who sponsored a failed bill in 2011 that would have severely restricted immigration, wrote on his website that the issue is still among his priorities, as is doing "whatever I can to defend, protect and preserve our Christian heritage."

Fuqua blogs on his website. One post is titled, "Christianity in Retreat," and says "there is a strange alliance between the liberal left and the Muslim religion."

"Both are antichrist in that they both deny that Jesus is God in the flesh of man, and the savior of mankind. They both also hold that their cause should take over the entire world through violent, bloody, revolution," the post says.

In a separate passage, Fuqua wrote "we now have a president that has a well documented history with both the Muslim religion and Communism."

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

this can't be real life.

seriously... scares the living **** out of me just reading that. Whats even scarier is that this is the stuff I see under the tip of the iceberg from many neocons on here and other places.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Everybody realizes that slavery was a bad deal. It's not acceptable to force people to be slaves. I think we can all agree on that.

The separate question is "did TODAY's African Americans" benefit from slavery? Well, today's African Americans never worked a day in their life under the control of a slave owner. Secondly, nowhere on planet earth do people of African heritage have it better than in the US. That doesn't mean there aren't still negative effects of racism (which of course goes both ways, by the way...), but there's a reason you don't see African Americans desiring to up and move back to Nigeria or the Congo. So to say there were ZERO positive benefits for today's African Americans is not accurate.

4. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

good for them :rolleyes:

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm more in the camp where having your great great grandparents taken to another land against their will and further subjected to forced labor, rape, torture, and constant fear of living isn't such a great thing. At face value, there isn't anything factually wrong with what you're saying, but if the facts just had to present themselves, let's go through the archives.

To solidify the entire racket, it later became illegal for the great grand parents of Black Americans to read, vote or own any property let alone have authority over their children, you know because they could be sold off at any moment in time.

Interestingly, Black Americans today have produced a lot of culture unique from their African cousins, well maybe because their slave ancestors had to start from the several disparate cultures that was never directly passed down from generation to generation.

Later on, when all Blacks were considered free, there was at least a century's worth of institutionalized racism. Doesn't the fact that your parents lived in an age where minorities were fighting for their Civil Rights strike you as recent?

So no, I find something repulsive in that last line "So to say there were ZERO positive benefits [of slavery] for today's African Americans is not accurate". I find cultures of victimization as repelling as cultures of feigned persecution, but your linguistic torturing of that line, at the very least, implicitly acknowledges a time where things could better enough to the point where it can be debated without emotional attachment but aren't.

1 person likes this.
  6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

You either didn't understand my post or are trying to intentionally twist my words and change the argument. Not going to work

7. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

So overall you do not fully reject this mans claims?

Where did you get your info on the quality of life of people of African descent in other countries, I'd love to know. You never answered my question earlier as to what the normal upbringing of an African American is
    Care to elaborate?
    When a race or group has a hard time or is discriminated against, it's either move back or everything's ok then right? "Hell, gays don't mind not having equal rights, if they didn't like it they'd move to one of them there countries where they could get queer married!"

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I understand their point. So many of the African Americans living here today, if not for slavery, would have to deal with complete and utter chaos that is Africa. Starvation, war, disease, etc etc would be their daily life (assuming they live past birth). Obviously some, a very few, would have been better off living in Africa all their life, but I can’t imagine that being a significant amount. Our poor (and I’m not saying all slavery decedents are poor and I’m not saying that all poor are descendants of slaves), while maybe not living the most luxurious lives in America, are decently taken care of the grand scheme of global poverty. However, as a political figure, you can't say that slavery was a 'blessing.' Just dumb on his part.

9. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

The most chilling part to me is when he says he's seeking a "solution to the Muslim problem". I really try not to bring out the Nazi comparisons, because I think they're usually over-the-top, knee-jerk responses to hot button topics, but this is some real Mein Kampf type stuff.

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sounds like a total nutter.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Best thing that happened to Lance Armstrong was getting Cancer.
    Maybe getting shot in the head was the best thing for that senator senator . . . she more popular than ever now!!

When you overcome or survive a tragedy . . .its for the best . ..

New Rule: Mandatory Tragedies for everyone!! . .well except for those that think that Tragedies are best for OTHER PEOPLE.

Rocket River

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I get the point you are making, but you aren't really responding to the claim being made.

The claim isn't that "slavery was good for the slaves" which is what "cancer was good for Lance Armstrong" would be the equivalent of.

The claim is "slavery was a blessing for the current generation of african americans because they are in America because of it" which is probably closer to "Lance armstrong getting cancer was a blessing for Susie Q who had her cancer cured thanks to money raised by Lance Armstrong."

It's still a premise that is dangerous because it is white politicians trying to say "see slavery wasn't so bad!"

13. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

That claim is ridiculous. The only way that current generations are in America is because their ancestors were slaves? Africans would have, could have, did and do immigrate to the US like every other culture.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No, it's still wrong.

Slavery is not a blessing for the current generation. The fight AGAINST slavery is what ended up being a good thing for the current African American generation, and their anscestors did that on their own and against the supporters of slavery, and any resulting benefits are shared by every single American afterwards regardless of race.

They are American and what their life would be like in Africa right now is irrelevant. They are not Africans anymore than other immigrants are Irish, French, Vietnamese, Filipino or anything else. If an African American had an adopted Irish-descendant brother, they would both share an equal connection with Nigeria or Congo or wherever.

Hell, how do you know they wouldn't become wealthy Africans in Africa had slavery not occurred? How do you ignore the role of slavery in widening this gap between Africa and the US? It is ridiculous to think in these terms.

Absolutely idiotic.

Modern racists and bigots will not ever come out and say racist or bigoted things. Historically, racists and bigots say things that are borderline racist in the context of their own times. If we want to weed out racists, we have to stop comparing their 2012 actions/words to 1950's standards of racism. What we consider racism today was borderline racism in the past. Today's racists will rarely, if ever, come out and say things that would blatantly be considered racist by everyone.

Like cowards, people like this will forever dance on the line of racism and bigotry and draw you into technicalities about whether they crossed the line or not. Non-racist people rarely if ever need to walk on those lines to make a valid and appropriate point.

Sick.

15. bucket

bucket Member

So, let me get this straight: whereas African-Americans have benefitted from the benevolence of the white man in bringing them to America, Africans in Africa are stuck in a chaotic situation of their own making? A situation which whites had no part in creating?

Yeah, right. The truth is that any improvement in people of African descent's quality of life, whether in America or Africa, has come in spite of oppression by whites. Pointing to Africa as some kind of control case of the natural course of African society, untouched by whites, is just so much offensive nonsense.

1 person likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

Out of curiosity, have you ever been to Africa? Starvation/war/disease is not the standard of living for most people in Africa - just the ones we hear about. Starvation and war is limited to certain regions. Sure, most are poor by our standards, but they also don't crave wealth in the way we do. They don't have fancy cars and fancy TVs, but they also don't dream of having those things. Outside of the war-torn regions, I would suspect their perceived happiness is higher than that of many much wealthier Americans.

On a side note, here's an article on progress on infant mortality in Africa: http://www.economist.com/node/21555571 . While it has a long way to go, things are fairly rapidly changing on the continent. I've only been to western Africa, but the Africa we hear about most often seems to be a caricature of the continent.

17. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I have not, myself, been to Africa. However, my roommate works every other month in the Congo (for the past few years) and have a good friend who was raised in Nigeria. So, while I don't have first hand knowledge/experience, I've heard much about Africa that I feel I know more than the average person who has not been there.

One story I've heard is that there are dead people laying on the sides of the road. You don't acknowledge them because, in their culture, the one who last touches (or makes refrence) to the deceased is responsible for their final arrangements. And since not very many people have money, no one can pay for it, so they just leave the dead laying in the streets.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of wealthy people there. My Nigerian buddy was one of them. But, that's few and far between. Starvation and war MIGHT NOT be the standard, but it's much greater there than it is in the US.

My point was, if a poor person gets, lets say, the flu here in Amercia, I'm gonna guess they have a much high chance of survival than someone in an equal position in Africa. Does that mean they're better off here in America? Well, that's up to personal preference. I don't agree with Africa Americans are better off due to slavery, but there is a valid arguement.

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

No its not an argument at all.

You can't make counter-factual arguments about "what would happen if" without analyzing the entire history of Africa. People who make this argument are assuming that history would have otherwise not changed in Africa if the slave trade didn't exist.

That's just a bogus argument. So what happens if Europeans don't go to West Africa and engage in the slave trade? You could just as easily make the argument that the course of history for West Africa would have been very different. Tribal communities basically sold each other out to sell others to the Europeans. That doesn't happen if the slave trade doesn't exist. So do these tribal groups then develop more peaceful relations that lead to greater shared prosperity?

The entire history of African colonialism changes if the slave trade doesn't exist. Europeans really didn't care for the natural resources in Africa until much later in history. But their interest was only sparked by their initial presence there thanks to the slave trade. So do the Europeans colonize Africa in the same way without the slave trade being the initial impetus for bringing them there? Perhaps at the end of the day, Western African actually prospers because the Europeans never showed up.

The point of the above is not to pretend to know what would have happened but rather to question the absurdity of the argument that the slave trade might have had positive benefits.[/U]

History only happens once. It happened with the slave trade and NONE OF US are omniscient enough to know how history would have gone in a different timeline. And to top it off, we're making wild statements about how one of the most reviled periods of American history might have benefited African Americans.

This whole line of reasoning is disgusting.

1 person likes this.
  19. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The western world didn't really leave Africa alone after ending the slave trade, I'm sure colonizing and politically and legally disenfranchising them, and then bribing and irresponsibly arming their leaders for 100 years afterwards, probably contributed to their current state. What's worse I think this is just a backhanded way of stating that blacks, in our most natural state and absent the influence of whites, are dumber, more savage or less productive. I think I'm done making racial comments on the board, though.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Bigot.

1 person likes this.