1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arizona's Rising GOP Star Gets His Own Gay Scandal

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Mar 16, 2012.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Tough on immigration...

...a Mexican ex-boyfriend claimed the rising Republican star and outspoken immigration opponent threatened him with deportation when the boyfriend refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement about their relationship, which spanned years.
    ______

Arizona's Rising GOP Star Gets His Own Gay Scandal

The Phoenix New Times dropped a bombshell of a story on Friday, in which Pinal County Sheriff Paul Babeu was outed as a gay man. But that's the least of it: In it, a Mexican ex-boyfriend claimed the rising Republican star and outspoken immigration opponent threatened him with deportation when the boyfriend refused to sign a non-disclosure agreement about their relationship, which spanned years. Proof of the relationship came via text messages between the 34-year-old "Jose" (last name withheld) and Babeu, as well as compromising photos of Babeu groping Jose, and posing in front of a bathroom mirror in only briefs -- his profile photo for an ad on gay hookup site Adam 4 Adam. (The photos are posted on the New Times website.)

Babeu, who is running for Congress, gave a news conference in Florence, AZ., today, where he acknowledged that he had "a personal relationship" with Jose, the LA Times reports. He went on to say that the allegations were "absolutely, completely false, except for the issues that refer to me as being gay. Because that's the truth. I am gay." The anti-immigration hardliner was stumping recently for Mitt Romney's campaign, but has now decided to step down as co-chairman of the Arizona Romney for President campaign.

"We support his decision," Romney spokesman Ryan Williams said in a statement.

The two men met in October 2006 on gay.com. It began as an "online invitation for the two to get together," the New Times reports. What began as a personal relationship then turned into a professional one, with Jose maintaining Babeu's official social media pages. Eventually the love affair soured, and according to Jose's account, Babeu sent his attorney Chris DeRose after him.

DeRose demanded he sign an agreement that he would never breathe a word about the affair. The 34-year-old from central Mexico charges that the sheriff's lawyer warned against mentioning the affair with Babeu. DeRose said gossip about Babeu would focus attention on Jose, attention that could result in his deportation, Jose says.

Melissa Weiss-Riner, Jose's attorney, confirms her client's account.

One text from Babeu to Jose, dated Sept. 4, 2011, read:

"You can never have business after this and you will harm me and many others in the process . . . including yourself & your family."

Babeu's press conference lasted nearly 45 minutes, during which he defended his record as sheriff, and confirmed the photos provided to the New Times were of him. He also made a point to distance himself from another recent political sex scandal: "This isn't a case of … Rep. Weiner," Babeu told reporters.

link

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Party of family values strikes again.

It's hard to be a republican. They just hate so many people.

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Isn't this story almost a month old?

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

SMH... First world problems.

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why are democrats so teh ghey focused? Project much? Erst Batman, dan pgabs, jetz der cheetah?

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Democrats made Babeu gay?

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

GOP: The Party of God, family and morality.

8. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I believe projection is better than straight out hypocritical repression.

Incidentally, pansexualism is 7times+ cooler than homosexuality.

GET AT ME, SEX HATERS.

9. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Help me remember which party was trying to pass a constitutional amendment.

10. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Me and my good friend Bigtexxx will not deny this at all until every shred of evidence is presented.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Pathetically predictable. After reading the Megan McCain thread and as soon as I saw the title of this thread, I knew you would come in with such a post.

12. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

yes it is and there was indeed a thread for it. fact whoring and responses from the right were nowhere to be found.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Wha is it with all these closet homosexual Republicans? Why even bother to hide it, who cares... Except biggots.

14. hairyme

hairyme Member

I think you meant: "Hard on immigrants..."

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

What's the problem here? He doesn't try to deny being gay or anything. I think he handled the PR well.

As for the deportation threat, it sounds like he'reminded' Jose that deportation is a logical likely outcome if their relationship became public, so he'd see it in his own self-interest to be discreet. I don't see any reason to think he was implying that he'd actively try to get Jose deported.

Maybe having a relationship with an illegal alien won't sit well with the anti-immigration crowd. Maybe he's a hypocrit for not getting Jose deported years ago. But, I don't see anything here I find at all objectionable.

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

He's not an illegal Alien and can't be deported.