1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arizonan will head Homeland Security

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by BetterThanEver, Nov 19, 2008.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I know nothing about this woman. I am disappointed in her qualifications though. It seems like Homeland Security will be all about fighting immigration and less about fighting terrorist attacks over here.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15815.html

Arizonan will head Homeland Security
    By MIKE ALLEN | 11/19/08 11:18 PM EST Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano has been chosen to be secretary of the vast and troubled Department of Homeland Security.

Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano (D) has been chosen to serve as secretary of the vast and troubled Department of Homeland Security for President-elect Obama, Democratic officials said. Napolitano is a border governor who will now be responsible for immigration policy and border security, which are part of Homeland Security’s myriad functions.

Napolitano brings law-and-order experience from her stint as the Grand Canyon State’s first female attorney general. One of the nation’s most prominent female elected officials, she made frequent appearances on behalf of Barack Obama during the campaign. She was re-elected to a second four-year term in 2006.

Transition insiders have long expected that she would be offered a Cabinet slot, although she had also been mentioned for other posts, including attorney general.

Napolitano, 50, endorsed Obama in early January, just as the primaries were kicking off, and the female up-and-comer's decision to back the Illinois Senator got widespread coverage.

In 2005, TIME magazine named her one of America’s five best governors, calling her “A Mountaineer on the Political Rise.”

TIME reported: “The one issue Republicans think they can use against the popular Napolitano is illegal immigration, because the huge number of border crossings have left many Arizonans feeling overwhelmed and powerless. Her critics claim she came to the problem late, but she seems to have navigated it deftly. … Napolitano opposed … several bills that targeted illegal immigrants. Instead, she looked to the systems and people that make illegal immigration possible: she ordered state contractors to ensure that their employees are legal [and] set up an undercover unit to catch forgers of identity documents … In mid-August she declared a state of emergency in Arizona to direct more funds to protecting border areas from illegal crossings.”

The Democratic officials said Napolitano has not been officially offered the job but is likely to be named and to accept. The selection was first reported by CNN.

Her official bio says: “Janet Napolitano was sworn in as Arizona’s 21st Governor on January 6, 2003. She is the first woman in the nation’s history to serve as U.S. Attorney, State Attorney General and Governor in immediate succession. Prior her election as Governor of Arizona, Napolitano served one term as Arizona Attorney General and four years as U.S. Attorney for the District of Arizona. Born in New York City and raised in Albuquerque, New Mexico, she is a distinguished alumna of Santa Clara University and the University of Virginia Law School. She has lived in Arizona since 1983, when she moved to Phoenix to practice law.”

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Hmmm, all the news reports I have read said that she looks like the favorite but nothing is certain yet. I guess this one is claiming that she will ascend to that position.

Which Republican will receive a Cabinet position from Obama and which position will they receive?

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i was in arizona when she got elected. wasnt a fan of hers at first but seems she has since got a little more hard lined about illegal immegration.

side note, she gave the most boring graduation speech at UA.

4. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I hope that DHS gets a massive budget cut. A useless office wasting loads of money.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Feels like nepotism.

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Because of her endorsement? You could also say it smells like competence.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

having some experience with napolitano while living in AZ...that may not be what you are smelling

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Interesting. She's consistently rated as one of the most effective, but I know nothing of AZ. Maybe you meant that she is a good governor but that, in her presence, you noticed body odor.

Does anyone like their governor? I guess Alaska does -- LOL.

9. JuanValdez

Yes, because of her endorsement. I don't know much about her. Maybe she's quite capable and the best person for the job. But, that endorsement now is like affirmative action -- no matter how qualified you might be, those who don't know you may wonder why you really got the job.

10. insane man

insane man Member

she would have been better for AG but she'll be fine at DHS.

that being said i think there may have been some quid pro quo at her being tied up in the administration and thus unable to run against mccain in 2010.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I like your documentary uh Nailin Palin.

Oh, thank you very much. John McCain and I are big fans of you as well.

12. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

'0' (zero) budget would be just fine. :)

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Ruling out anyone who endorsed Obama because of some concern over 'affirmative action' or 'nepotism' is just silly. That would rule out so many people that such a charge would be absurd.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Damn right. Nothing in the DHS that the FBI, CIA, or NSA shouldn't do. DHS isjust more government waste.

15. serious black

serious black Contributing Member

Interesting that Arizona will now have a Republican governor.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No kidding. This is one of those "fresh breezes" I'm delighted to have waft through Washington. What a change! And yes, reform the hell out of the department.

17. JuanValdez

Obviously, you're right. All the appointments of insiders look a little distasteful to me, but he needs experience and talent and that pool is rather small. He shouldn't limit it further. That's why I didn't accuse him of nepotism and demand he stop; only that it looks like nepotism... carry on.