1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arizona Coyotes Moving To Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Dec 2, 2021.

1. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I was never interested in hockey, probably because there was no Houston team, but I did own and love this game for some reason...

[​IMG]

2. Buck Turgidson

Don't remember that one but Sega Hockey was awesome 4-player dormroom fun.

"I made Wayne Gretzky's head bleed!" -- Swingers

MadMax likes this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Why not? There's nothing of note around MMP either, if they want to do what the Astros are doing I don't see why they can't.

I'm honestly surprised that entire wing of downtown is still so...bland. Considering the Toyota Center, MMP, GRB and discovery green are all heavily trafficked there's still a lot of nothing save for a few hotels. You have to walk a few blocks from TC just to find a bar to pregame at, which is absurd.

4. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The Rustic might be the biggest bar in downtown and it's a block away from Toyota Center in what was/is a dead zone of downtown.

ryan_98 likes this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

"I thought he paid it! Let me pay you right now"

I've heard this from my tenants right after I tell them the next step is eviction.

Not a good sign.

Squirtle and MadMax like this.
  7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

It just communicates chaos. The team on the ice is bad...attendance is awful...there is no stability at all in that market...they have zero idea where they'll play next season...they have no concrete plan, either short-term or long-term, for where they will end up. Events like this just throw more gas on the fire, even if there was little substance behind it.

Xerobull likes this.
  8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I’m somewhat surprised that no one in Phoenix wants the Coyotes.

If the Coyotes had an arena near the population center, I believe they would have better attendance. Ultimately you have to win and they just don’t have the organization top to bottom to do that.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

1.7 Billion for a hockey arena... In Arizona.

Jontro likes this.
  11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its not just the arena… its the entire entertainment complex/development (hotels, restaurants, bars, office space) which is the new trend in new stadiums/arenas that most teams will now seek out (even if it means they’re moving 20-30 miles outside the city center).

Not sure Houston will offer that either.

12. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

What about Blades of Steel on Nintendo. I spent hours playing that game and picking fights with the opponents.

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  13. Jontro

Jontro Member

only if tillmen is buying

14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Houston should just offer the Toyota Center and be done with it. The demands of these ownership groups are just absurd.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They are… but in a day/age where everybody has an arena or stadium with luxury suites, teams are now having to exploit other revenue streams to gain an advantage.

Just having an arena downtown also doesn’t mean much unless the team controls the land and businesses surrounding the arena/stadium.

16. MadMax

The Coyotes are running out of options quickly, and have nowhere to play opening night next season. Crazy.

rhino17 and ramotadab like this.
  17. MadMax

Do NHL teams have those sort of advantages? I know some NBA teams do...but I was thinking this Arizona proposal would be pretty unique for an NHL team...but honestly, I'm not sure of that.

18. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

They have zero leverage here. The city of Glendale is kicking them out of the arena because the team has repeatedly failed to pay bills and is a money loser. The city has lost millions on their dumb deal with the team. The proposal to Tempe is currently in the process of getting voted down and the reality is that they are literally homeless in a few months so they have no room to play this game.

They aren't an NFL or even an NBA team that can threaten cities like this. They're an NHL franchise in the South and on top of that they are one of the most poorly managed franchises in the league.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

"...franchise in the south west..."

20. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Nick likes this.