1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arizona Coyotes Moving To Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Dec 2, 2021.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Fortunately they won’t be playing the games outside. Hockey has been in the south and southwest for decades now.

rhino17 likes this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The NHL has been doing outdoor games. They did one in the LA when it was in the 70’s. It wa a pretty rough on the technical crew.

I like a friend of mine suggestion that the NHL
    Should require every team to play at least one out door home game with no refrigeration.

3. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

This ain’t no desert or bayou Hockey

4. MadMax

I enjoy watching the Winter Classic.
    I think your friend may not understand the larger business model at play here :) The goal is to grow the game…not restrict it to a certain geographic region. Teams in the south and southwest are doing very very well, both on the ice and at the gate.

rhino17 likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I get excited when I see an update to this thread… that being said, I didn’t know who was playing in the Stanley Cup till today, and I didn’t realize that game 1 is tonight.

Would like to know who else is similar in that regard… bonus points if you know which network is televising the SC this year.

6. MadMax

I follow NHL hockey probably a bit closer than most people here (though, certainly not all)…but I’m with you…I really need a rooting interest.

It’s on TNT right? I think I’ve seen ads for that.

Jturbofuel likes this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Bonus points! Can’t wait to see EJ, Charles and Kenny break down some puck!

rhino17 and MadMax like this.
  8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Went to the Winter classic in 2020. Avs vs. Kings at the Air Force Academy. Really cool experience, but also maybe the coldest I've ever been in my life lol.

MadMax likes this.
  9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Vegas runs the most sustainable city in the west. Its the model that all other cities in the west should emulate.

Charles has been making appearances on the hockey broadcasts and has been involved a decent amount, its good stuff. The hockey guys they have or bad so it may as well be the nba tnt crew.

10. MadMax

I’m not talking about power, I’m talking about water. Lake Mead and Lake Powell are both expected to be dry in 10 years. Admittedly Vegas has done an amazing job with alternative energy sources. Not much they can do about lakes drying up and climate change that’s much bigger than them. Particularly if the bet is that the city continues to grow.

#310 MadMax, Jun 3, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2023
  11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Yeah I like the game but not having a rooting interest really limits how close I follow it on a day to day basis.

MadMax likes this.
  12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I asked someone in the media if Tillman is interested in a team and he said no, but he would love to have a team play at the Toyota Center. That tells me we are just dreaming because no team is moving here to pay rent to another owner.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Somebody who’s wealthy enough and wants in on the sports scene would make a killing here building a state-of-the-art hockey arena with a combined entertainment district, with an opportunity to join the exclusive “sports owners” club. Make it unique, spend extra, put some TLC into it like they did MMP.

Toyota center is devoid of surrounding ambience and will be badly in need of an update/renovation within the next 10 years as is. It wouldn’t take much to build an outstanding venue that would be a draw for other events. Toyota Center gets most of those by default…. Much like the Summit used to, even though it was well past its prime.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Sports entertainment districts are so lame

15. MadMax

If this is true then it’s over, I’d say. Les killed hockey here in more ways than one, and the deal with the county for the Toyota Center effectively negated the chance we’d get a hockey team here (given the non-compete provisions of that agreement)…I was hoping Tillman would approach this differently, as he indicated he would. Nick is right that there’s an outside possibility of another group building an arena, but it certainly doesn’t sound like there’s “ready-made” ownership here looking to take advantage of the opportunity around the Coyotes. Very disappointing.

Jturbofuel and tinman like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet you applaud Vegas? The entire city is based on a man-made entertainment district…

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

What benefits a man to gain the world but to lose his soul.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pro sports is extremely profitable on franchise re-sale... and can pay for itself when the team is successful. As an investment opportunity, its a far safer bet than a lot of the multi-billion dollar hotels/projects/districts that get proposed in big cities constantly.

Its still the go-to pastime for the most important money spending demographics out there. And being a sports team owner does vault said group into the upper echelon/elite status in the city... and an exclusive worldwide club.

And if you control the arena... and the profits for other events there... its even more of a safe venture. As leveraged as Fertitta apparently is, he now gets to spend on whatever he wants as he has control of a pro team with a favorable arena lease as collateral.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Yes when you see ice outdoors it’s supposed to be cold.

on the flip side I’ve been to several baseball games when temps have dropped into the 20’s including the Stros. I had front row seats at Target field to Stros at Twins game where by the 8th inning game time temps were in below freezing and everyone on the field looked miserable.

I would support if the Twins played the first month of the season on the Road or inside US Bank Stadium. When you see a pond hockey game though you understand this is where the sport came from and in cold and brutal climate hockey is the celebration of that.

20. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You can’t recreate this in Vegas, Phoenix, or Houston. This is what the State of Hockey means.