1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arizona Coyotes Moving To Houston?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by boomboom, Dec 2, 2021.

1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

It really is a no brainer to use the Aeros name its got the name recognition with the hockey fans in Houston plus updates on the logo or going with what was used before would be perfect.

MadMax likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

They had such pimp uniforms back in the day

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scarface281 and ramotadab like this.
  3. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I have never researched Trademarks before, so I may be drawing the wrong conclusion about it being available.

https://www.trademarkelite.com/trademark/trademark-detail/78840150/HOUSTON-AEROS

• The HOUSTON AEROS trademark was assigned a Serial Number #78840150 – by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). Assigned Trademark Serial Number is a Unique ID to identify the HOUSTON AEROS trademark application in the USPTO.

The HOUSTON AEROS mark is filed in the category of Education and Entertainment Services . The legal correspondent for HOUSTON AEROS trademark is Eric D. Paulsrud, LEONARD, STREET & DEINARD, STE 2300 150 S 5TH ST MINNEAPOLIS MN 55402-4238 . The current status of the HOUSTON AEROS filing is CONTINUED USE NOT FILED WITHIN GRACE PERIOD, UN-REVIVABLE.

Based on MINNESOTA HOCKEY VENTURES GROUP, the HOUSTON AEROS trademark is used in the following business: Entertainment in the nature of hockey games

• Latest Status Update
      Check Status Timeline
      On Friday, December 26, 2014, the status for the HOUSTON AEROS trademark changes to CONTINUED USE NOT FILED WITHIN GRACE PERIOD, UN-REVIVABLE
      On Friday, March 17, 2006, MINNESOTA HOCKEY VENTURES GROUP filed a U.S. Federal trademark application for HOUSTON AEROS trademark. MINNESOTA HOCKEY VENTURES GROUP is located in SAINT PAUL, MN .

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I still own that white one

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  5. MadMax

I promise you, it’s obtainable :)

Mango likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

As do I.

MadMax likes this.
  7. Mango

https://tsdr.uspto.gov/#caseNumber=...TION&caseType=DEFAULT&searchType=statusSearch

• US Serial Number:
      Application Filing Date:
      Mar. 17, 2006
      US Registration Number:
      Registration Date:
      May 20, 2008
      Filed as TEAS Plus:
      Yes
      Currently TEAS Plus:
      Yes
      Register:
      Principal
      Mark Type:
      Service Mark
      TM5 Common Status Descriptor:
      [​IMG]
      DEAD/REGISTRATION/Cancelled/Invalidated

The trademark application was registered, but subsequently it was cancelled or invalidated and removed from the registry.

Registration cancelled because registrant did not file an acceptable declaration under Section 8. To view all documents in this file, click on the Trademark Document Retrieval link at the top of this page.
      Status Date:
      Dec. 26, 2014

Publication Date:
      Jun. 12, 2007
      Notice of Allowance Date:
      Sep. 04, 2007
      Date Cancelled:
      Dec. 26, 2014

8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I loved the classic 70's look which they IHL/AHL brought back as a 3rd jersey

#228 Jturbofuel, May 22, 2023
    Last edited: May 22, 2023
    Buck Turgidson and MadMax like this.
  9. Mango

If something was cooking, in regards to that name & logo being used for a Hockey team in Houston, then some entity would have filed to use it by now?

10. MadMax

Not necessarily…you wouldn’t make anything public. That’s what attorneys and non-disclosure agreements are for.

Mango likes this.
  11. MadMax

Did we just become best friends?

12. Mango

I have heard about stealth mode for Real Estate deals, but that doesn't require registering a Trademark in a database.

Maybe it can be be kept quiet while the application process is going through channels and we won't know about it until everything is completed and approved.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’ve given up on the Texans and Rockets. I’m game to put blind faith into a new team for a decade.

boomboom and Xerobull like this.
  14. MadMax

This is a transaction…a sale of those trademark rights would be in order if the buyer wanted those trademark rights. There’s nothing to register until the deal is closed. Only then do you start making it public…and until then it’s all under non-disclosure agreements. I’m working on a deal like that, though not as cool, right now.

15. Buck Turgidson

MadMax likes this.
  16. AkeemTheDreem86

What are the chances of this actually happening at this point? Thanks for the update.

17. MadMax

Not sure how to quantify it, but aside from the expansion Les ****ed us out of, I’d say this is as close as we’ve been in the last 25 years or so. NHL commish is super committed to keeping a team in AZ, but they’re playing in a 5000 seat arena right now and they’re nowhere near breaking ground for a new arena. If Tilman is serious about wanting to bring hockey to Houston, this is his chance to show us. He will pay peanuts relative to what the franchise value will be by moving it to Houston, alone.

18. MadMax

Don’t give up on the Texans or Rockets, but Go Aeros regardless

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Aeros were the MN Wild Farm team for about 13 years so it’s no surprise they still retain the rights to the name and trademarks. I think the Aeros are now the Iowa Wild.

FYI I’ve worked for the Wild and the owner Craig Leopold is a true hockey fan and not just a rich guy buying a pro sports team as a status symbol. He also thought can be cheap and it was tough dealing with the team. I can see him not wanting to give up the Aeros name and logo to a new NHL franchise without getting a lot back.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Understandable, but both have new coaches and the tanking seems to be over. I'm excited for both. Finally...