1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ariza vs. Lee

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BrooksBall, Oct 7, 2010.

Tags:
?

Simple, Ariza or Lee?

Poll closed Oct 14, 2010.
  1. Ariza

81 vote(s)
    15.9%
  2. Lee

429 vote(s)
    84.1%
  1. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

depends if you consider "playing well with others" as part of being a better player

2. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Ariza dribbling 3 times in one place and trying to create his own shot is the reason why Lee will always be better ;)

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

I've said it before and I'll no doubt say it again: Putting a great team together is like making a pizza -- you want the ingredients to work well together and bring out the best in each other.

Ariza was the peanut butter of last year's Rockets pizza.

4. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

A Lee is easier to find than an Ariza

5. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

What if you like peanut butter on your pizza? :grin:

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Then you don't DESERVE pizza! :mad:

7. karthik.08

karthik.08 Member

This. he woulda benefited from yao behind him. dont forget, he already woulda had 1 year in our system, with more familiarity with martin and brooks (unless they really had strong disagreements). i dont think the trade was a mistake, i just dont think its as lopsided in lee's favor as it seems. lee will both awe us with his speed and defense (gambles a lot less), but also bum us with his adjustments to our system and lack of height (i thought ariza had a better chance of annoying kobe than lee). but ya lee's a more consistent player, and we really need battier to qb the defense in the first unit. not worried at all.

8. Redfan

Redfan Member

Based on pure on court performance, I think it was essentially a wash.

Ariza has more versitility and length. This allows him to make some plays that very view others in the league could including courtney lee. The issue is that in all his years in the leauge he has never learned to harness this versatility into a consistent weapon. Nothing is more frustrating to fans than a player who fails to maximize their abilities.

Courtney lee is a quick guard with enough handles to be trusted with the ball and to make some great plays in the open court. I think it is clear from the way he has been used so far in the preseason that the rockets are trying to mold him into a psuedocopy of kevin martin. That way when Kmart checks out of the game or god forbid gets injured, the team can just plug in Lee without any change in the offense.

The decision however is not just made based on what happens on the court. Personality and finances also play a role. Courtney Lee is significantly cheaper and more willing to play along. When you take into account the TPE we gaind in the trade, the deal turned out to be a steal for the rockets.

1 person likes this.
  9. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I voted for Lee for this year's team although last year I was sympathetic to Trevor and was rooting for him to play well.

Trevor is like a time bomb, you'll never know whether he would explode or implode. It would be difficult to switch him to the 2nd unit or give him less minutes or touches--the Rockets didn't want to deal with possible discontent, so they decided to move him.

10. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

This works for me, good post.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Regardless of how much you dislike Ariza, making obviously false statements about him is juvenile.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm happier to have Lee here because of the money savings.

Ariza is a great 4th 5th option on a contender and we'd have been throwing away money because we aren't contenders.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I miss Trevor Ariza, strangely enough.

As a starter on this team, I think we miss his rebounding and versatility. He was absolutely incredible after we added Kevin Martin last year...

I wish we would have kept him...

14. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

you already know the answer. ask that question again after a full season with lee. right now, people are just gonna vote against ariza, not really voting for lee.

15. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

i don't know...Ariza was a pretty good finisher...not saying he was a better player though for this team.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What?

LOL - says who?

Lee > Ariza.....

Ariza sucks without someone setting him up, he is like Robert Horry, a crap individual player, but if you put him in the right situation, he can succeed.

DD

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. wyo-ming

wyo-ming Rookie

everybody suxs but me

19. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

i am going to say Lee because he is a unknown. i know what i got out of Trevor and i did not like it at all

20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Ariza, simply because I don't see Lee playing much this year unless there are injuries (which is a distinct possibility). Martin will probably get the most minutes on the team by far, and I'd prefer the Rockets go with a small lineup of Brooks and Lowry when possible.

But yeah, I would have liked to see Ariza play on a more fully formed team before making the move. He was one of the two athletic and long players the Rockets had. I'm also not looking forward to Battier's scoring line of 0-5 points playing 24+ minutes.