1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ariza likely gone with Ryno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by brewer's goat, Jul 24, 2017.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

don't really see any correlation there

don grahamleone likes this.
  2. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

both players are trash, and nobody wants them.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I see your point, but I think he's pretty clearly better than Tucker - and younger too. I'd prefer to have as many guys who can play defense as possible with this roster. I see Moute playing a lot of the smallball 4 too alongside Tucker/Ariza in some lineups. That depth and versatility as absolutely essential against a team like the Warriors I think.

Also we don't know what we're going to get with Melo. It's a high risk move so I wouldn't be willing to give up too much to acquire him.

justtxyank and don grahamleone like this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

really good basketball analysis there

HakeemOnlyFan and ElDobleK like this.
  5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I'm totally willing to believe Morey will have to give up Ariza to unload Anderson.

But when the putative insider claims Morey is "trying to unload" Ariza, I deduct 75% of his credibility.

6. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Fair enough. I was a big PJ Tucker fan when he went to Toronto but didn't get to watch him much last year. You are right, the numbers do seem to suggest Ariza is still a more effective defender. I wouldn't get too caught up in age - Ariza is a month younger than Tucker although it seems like Ariza is MUCH older because he has been in the league for what seems like an eternity - he had already been in the league a few years when he was the defensive spark plug on that LA team with Kobe, Gasol, Bynum, Odom, etc. Tucker seems younger to me because he didn't catch on in the league until he was already in his mid 20s.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If he has to give up Ariza to move Anderson for Melo, I'm almost positive we will just take a hard pass on Melo all together.

HakeemOnlyFan, craguin and J Sizzle like this.
  8. OTMax

OTMax Member

The reason the trade has not gone through is because we have to include Capela, not Ariza.

9. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

I would defintely not give up Capela.

Personally, I'd roll with Moute and Tucker with no hesitation if we had to give up Ariza. But you have to get Harden and Paul to sign off on it, and I'm not sure they would.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Two starters for a 33-year old Carmelo? No thanks.

Dubious likes this.
  11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Actually thought Ariza was like a year or two younger so I retract that point lol. Also Tucker shot really well in Toronto but has never been a good shooter over his career so I think Ariza is a bit better shooter. Yes Ariza has been in the league longer so he may be declining faster than Tucker. I see them playing similar minutes honestly. I just like Ariza because of the intangibles and locker room presence. Maybe Tucker brings that too just not as familiar with him.

rockpileindisma likes this.
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

There is approximately a -90% chance that Capela is traded in a deal that only nets the Rockets Carmelo.

In fact...make it -190%

Richie_Rich likes this.
  13. OTMax

OTMax Member

I hope so, with Morey you never know. Also with Harden & CP3, they might be okay with going after Tyson Chandler or starting Nene if it means Carmelo is coming. NYK and Melo might not want to wait forever ;)

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Actually....with Morey, I do know. I know that Morey is not going to overpay when he is negotiating with leverage, much less give away one of our most important players.

Richie_Rich, Reeko and YOLO like this.
  15. OTMax

OTMax Member

Well what if it drags out and Carmelo actually says he's okay with the Cavaliers?

16. MghtyPtrck

MghtyPtrck Member

we need to hold on to capela in order to trade for lebron next season lol

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think the Rockets are a better team with Ryno + Capela than they are with Carmelo and no Capela, so if that's the case then I'd be fine standing pat.

HakeemOnlyFan and majicdonjuan like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

Capela is not getting traded for Melo. When will this nonsense stop? Morey wants Melo, but only at a certain price.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  19. macan

macan Member

if we r really gonna give up both ryno and ariza, i'd like to see melo plus one more shooter type in return@.@

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I love Ariza but I am going to trust Morey on this one. Morey's going to do what he's going to do. In Morey we trust!