1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ariza crying?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by WhoMikeJames, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Rawkets

Rawkets Member

LOL, that's exactly what he did when he went for that lay-up. I wonder if he's been doing some yoga on the side, I saw some great flexibility.

It's too bad Rising Dog won't get us much in the way of points or wins.

2. Aznoob

Aznoob Member

Rafer? Or Kyle Lowry?

And Ariza can contort because he is lengthy. But I definitely would not mind if Ariza suddenly because LeBron and charged like a bull in a china shop.

3. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

No, Doc, that is NOT AT ALL the argument I put forth!! I said nothing about the player or his condition, I'm talking simple statistics, that since they are drawn from too little data, it is mathematically, and statistically incorrect to draw conclusions from them.

4. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Ariza is not a horrible player, though he has played horribly in December. Like some have suggested here, it must be the excessive workload. Dude cannot even make free throws anymore.

After a nice start for the season, Ariza has definitely hit a wall.

5. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

Exactly. Espacially with his athleticism. He can jump over people and I belive he can finish strong as well.

Btw, the Rockets will have to do something. You just can't force the guy to play 40 minutes every single night even if he is shooting 20%. You have to find different ways. And I am not really talking about McGrady. Maybe Taylor can do better.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Ariza can't get by people off the dribble. I would say, with the ball, he is an unimpressive athlete. Notice how routinely he'll drive and get cut off by defenders, only to pivot back and look to get bailed out. Its a combination of lack of burst, vision, creativity, coordination, shot-making skill ...

1 person likes this.
  7. raj87

raj87 Member

Aaron Brooks also comes to mind, as a player who avoids absorbing contact when driving toward the rim. This is why the Tony Parker comparisons are out of line. If Brooks could somehow develop this skill, then the Rockets would have another Bobby Jackson type contributor.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

repped

9. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Post of the year. I repeat:

POST OF THE YEAR!

#89 thelasik, Dec 28, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  10. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Except for that driving layup down the stretch to essentially clinch the win in New Jersey the other night...

11. MC Ren

MC Ren Member

Absolutely agree with this..

12. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

Not a bad idea except he's shooting 65% from the line...

Trending towards Chuck Hayes land. Could it be fatigue? Rick - please give him some pine. Thirty minutes sounds good.

13. raj87

raj87 Member

PigMiller, Beginning your post with "Except" and ending with those 3 periods (as an attempt to smugly contradict my observation) does not convince me otherwise. Let us see Aaron Brooks do this more consistently, and against a defender other than Yi JianLian.

14. BK219

BK219 Member

He's probably crying because he saw a replay of his disgusting move where he tries to take his man off the dribble, gets cut off, pivots back and launches a hopeless fadeaway. I bet he thought he looked like Kobe when he was doing it. Or it might just be his general lack of talent or coordination and absence of any signs of significant improvement in those areas.

15. TheGreat121

TheGreat121 Member

jermaine watever

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'd agree with that.

But I'd also put it to the thread that 31 games is also 'too small a sample size' - his shooting % may or may not increase over the rest of the season, but there's significant reasons as to why it has dipped so dramatically from previous seasons.

In the end, if the coaching staff (who have us sitting nicely at 18-13 despite all the 'experts' opinions) think Ariza ought to shoot, then I'm happy enough with it.

17. TheGreat121

TheGreat121 Member

start texting start using a cell phone :eek:

18. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

Someone change the title to Ariza bash thread?

19. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

Ariza has no explosiveness, thus he can't be a franchise/first option player. There are only a few franchise players without explosiveness, for example, Paul Pierce. But then again...Celts have 3 franchise players.

20. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

He looks horrible. I'm not debating whether he can be a valuable piece as a sidekick but this is like asking chuck hayes to fill yao's offensive role. It just can't happen. Hayes is a valuable player and tremendous defender, but he just does not have the skills or aptitude to be the #1 post scoring option.