1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ariza 3p% - product of Wizards system?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Jan 1, 2015.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

This is no thread to bash his shooting or anything negative about the signing of Ariza. I was simply looking at stats and saw that the Wizards lead the league in 3p% at a whopping .391! Looking at their roster, it's not like they have deadly shooters, though Wall is good and Beal has improved his 3pt shot. So I'm just wondering, if Wittman's system is putting people in greater positions to make 3 pointers and that is partly why Ariza was so good last year?

We know that our current offense is pretty much free flowing and not about putting games in certain positions to get their 3pt shots. So we're not necessarily putting Ariza in spots where he's better than other spots on the floor. Maybe they are trying, but with the lack of structure, it is failing somehow. Just thinking out loud here.

Maybe viewers of Wiz games can shed a light on this.

2. kevtse

kevtse Member

i was wondering....what if we have Korver instead of Ariza? Korver will be having fun here being given the green light to shoot those open threes.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

most of josh smith's misses are going in and out, and for the most part he is shying away from shots in favor of passing off. ariza on the other hand, is missing wide on pretty much the majority of his attempts, and shoots without any holdback whatsoever no matter the situation -- every time he pulls up in transition off balance i roll my eyes before i even hear that thud/clank to come...

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Ariza and Terry miss wide open 3 point shots. Mchale plays Ariza too many minutes. The whole point of depth is to rest players so that they are fresh for the post season Mchale still doesn't get it.

1 person likes this.
  5. wowimmagical

wowimmagical Member

dudes just bricking wide open shots left and right

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Product of a contract year. It might be subliminal but it happens with veterans about to go into free agency looking for their final big pay day. At least the Rockets are still getting the defense and intangibles. The positive note is that we know it's possible for Trevor to get hot at certain times. It's possible that he gets hot again at the end of the season or in the playoffs.

7. skroodup25

skroodup25 Member

Trevor needs a couple of games off..... He can't have any legs right now..... He's logged entirely too many minutes

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Not being on a contract year wouldn't make him miss wide open shots.
    He's just cold.

9. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

This would make sense if he hadn't shot well from 3 the year before last as well. My guess is that he stayed away from 3s when he wasn't hot in Washington. He attempted to do that here right after he cooled off from that hot start but after a few games you could tell someone told him to keep shooting.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think so too. In Washington his shot selection was probably just in his spots and in rhythm. Now coming to Houston I think they are letting him be a little too undisciplined about his shot selection and taking shots a little rushed.

As for the prev poster citing contract year not having anything to do with hitting or not hitting shots... Well yes that's right, it shouldn't affect it. However I'm just citing the human nature aspect of it. There is that additional motivational factor that drives your preparation and focus. It's not a knock on Ariza that his play drops off after getting a contract, but it's just the nature of what typically happens in contract years.

Still I think there is evidence that when certain parts of his game align, he's perfectly capable of shooting very well from 3. The Rockets coaches would be fools to not be digging into the evidence of what made him drain 3's last year and early this season to try and duplicate later on this season.

11. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Probably this. Wizards do a much much better job at distributing minutes. But it maybe because of rockets injuries to pbev, Canaan, and papa that ariza, harden, and Terry's minutes are like this.

Last yr, ariza played 35 minutes per gm, this year 38 min per gm.

Wizards this yr has wall 35 minutes per gm (the most on the team), beal 33 mins per gm, pierce 27, and butler 22. Those are guys with the most 3 pt attempts.

Rockets this has year has harden playing 37 minutes per game. 2 more minutes than the wizards best player. And 37 year old terry playing 24 minutes per game

Morey has gifted Mchale with depth. Mchale just has to find a way to play Canaan, papa, and nick Johnson some more minutes to at least have harden and ariza playing around 35 mins per game at the most and terry 22 minutes per game.

So I would say
    1. Playing too many minutes
    2. Shot selection

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

He doesn't have to find a way, it's not that hard Papa and Canaan are more than capable of filling in for a few minutes. This will hurt us in the playoffs yet again. He will only play certain people if he has too.

13. vlaurelio

I'm just saying he shouldn't have an excuse to not play them more minutes. And what ever excuse he has, there's a way around it

14. baubo

baubo Member

There are several factors. One is that Ariza's shooting more "bad 3s." He's assisted on 89% of his 3s this year when typically it's in the 95-96% range. He's not shooting as much from the corners, 33.6% of his 3s from the corners as opposed to 40+% previous years. The corners this year has been manned mostly by our PGs and PFs.

Granted, even beyond that his %s are lower. But just want to point out that he's not shooting the most optimal 3s compared to previous years. In comparison, Beverley and Terry are both killing it on the corner 3s this year.

2 people like this.
  15. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

He has to be more selective on his shots. Right now he's forcing them.

I hate those he takes too early in the shot clock. He needs to trust that his teammates will get the ball to him in the right spots. I don't mind if he drives once in a while.

16. vlaurelio

I guess it makes sense. You want ariza defending the fast break. He just has to make the extra pass for the corner 3

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It has nothing to do with Washington's system. He's getting plenty of open shots here. He's just throwing up bricks. It's a huge disappointment.

18. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

Can't believe it took til post 14 before someone nailed it. Most of his shots are coming from the wing, many of them relatively well-contested, instead of the corner. Most the time they're off just one pass instead of out of a real offensive set. A lot of times our offense just jacks up a decent shot instead of working for a great one, and it's usually Ariza taking those.

19. anchel

anchel Member

38 minutes per game. We get Brewer, Smith, and McHale keeps playing him 38 minutes... Ok, enjoy the result.

20. OKCRocket

OKCRocket Member

It might be the Wizards, it might be regression. Ariza has only shot above 33% from 3 in two seasons... both times in Washington.

Ariza is the best defender on the team which is why he plays so many minutes. The defense is bad without him.