1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Arian Foster Irregular Hearbeat

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by A_3PO, Dec 23, 2012.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/12/23/foster-leaves-sundays-game-with-irregular-heartbeat/

During Sunday’s loss to the Vikings, Texans running back Arian Foster left with what was described as an illness.

After the game, coach Gary Kubiak called it an irregular heartbeat.

According to Tania Ganguli of the Houston Chronicle, Kubiak added that Foster could have returned. John McClain of the Chronicle adds that Kubiak said it happened before in practice, and that it’s not regarded as serious.

That’s good news. But an irregular heartbeat always sounds serious, especially if you’re the person who has it.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kubiak/Foster both downplayed it. Not a big deal, minor, should be fine, I'll be okay, could have went back in; irregular heartbeat or irregular benching? Announcers referred to it as Vikingitis I believe.

3. Raven

Raven Member

There is nothing minor about an irregular heartbeat, especially for pro athletes.

:confused:

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

How would you notice an irregular heart beat during a game?

5. TheresTheDagger

Trust me. You would know. Heart beats faster...possible constricting chest feeling. Possibly feel lightheaded or out of breath.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

people can notice if their beat skips or jumps...and an EKG usually confirms it...

He may have felt it skip...and when they had the EKG it most likely reverted back to sinus rhythm..hence why team doctors gave him the clear...Kubiak just didnt wanna put him back in

7. conquistador#11

I would have one too, if the line was blocking for me the way they were blocking today.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Link

9. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

The off season that keeps giving smh. I hope he comes out of this alright. The sick fan in me is gonna study the draft for late round running backs

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

My father had a similar procedure. The little electrical impulses that tell the hear to beat, sending blood from the atrium to the ventricle. He had 2 of these impulses, 2 nerves, sending the signal for the heart to pump instead of just one. He'd had it most his life but didn't have surgery to fix it in his 60s. During the surgery, they went in via catheter and burned a series of areas surrounding the 2nd nerve in order to kill it. On the very last one they did, they actually burned a tiny hole in his heart that they had to fix and he had to stay in the hospital a few more days. "Hole in the heart" sounds bad, but it was really only a minor setback.

I assume Arian is having something similar done. It's fairly straightforward and even when there are complications, like in the case of my father, it's not that bad. I'm not worried about Arian at all with this.

11. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

He probably has Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome (WPW) which is an exercise-induced heart arrhythmia. I hear it's a quick and easy procedure with very little recovery time.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Rick Smith said DRs don't think Foster needs heart procedure: "Our medical team continues 2 monitor it. We're comfortable with where he is."</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/297354752688263168">February 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Smith on Foster: "He missed one-half of practice and one-half of a game. Our doctors treated him. They continue to monitor it."</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/297356759939567616">February 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Foster told Alex Flanagan he likely would undergo heart procedure in about a month. Team shooting it down.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/297356947617902593">February 1, 2013</a></blockquote>

13. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

I've personally had this same exact procedure for the same issue, it's called catheter ablation.

There's nothing to worry about, it's very simple (for a heart procedure anyway). I don't remember the exact numbers, but the chance for success is very high 95+ percent. It's *not* open heart surgery.

All they do is snake this thin catheter through a vein/artery in your groin area. You do not even go under general anesthesia, just local.

14. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

foster just told ESPN radio that he will not undergo a heart procedure

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Foster released a statement:

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...tatement/4f5ee2a9-8d9d-4fd2-9346-b39126b04297

And umm...

[​IMG]

#16 RV6, Feb 1, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Give Alex Flanagan a break. :p

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Glad to hear it.

On my way home sports radio in nacogdoches said he was....not 5 minutes ago.