1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Arian Foster - Can he still catch and run?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I just went to check the statistics
    RECIEVING:
    Arian Foster 2012 - 40 for 217
    Arian Foster 2011 - 53 for 617
    Are we not utilizing him in this capacity anymore

BTW - Do we have a pitch play
    Just toss it to Arian and say HEY get around the end?
    I know you guys probably seen all the games but I rarely see this
    [is it too HIGH RISK for Kubiak]

Rushing this year hasn't been a problem . . . per se but seems so much harder than last year
    Rushing 2011
    Arian Foster 2011 - 278 for 1224
    Ben Tate 2011 - 175 for 942

Rushing 2012
    Arian Foster 2011 - 351 for 1424
    Ben Tate 2011 - 65 for 279

Arian is doing ok but seems to be too much of a work horse this season
    without the catches for some easy runs . . .. I am concerned.

Rocket River

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

his problem is he's going down with regularity on first contact...oh, and he can't dive 10 yards.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I have pointed this out before. The early success resulted in the Texans going away from throwing to Foster. Yes he can still catch and run but the Texans offense this season is beyond predictable. Foster can still get it done, but it was foolish to have him carry 350 times, we have other backs.

The coaching staff will not want to hear it but many of the issues this team has is because the coaches were complacent and not evolving. They sat on their record and teams like the Pats constantly improved.

4. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Yards per carry for Foster.
    2010 4.9
    2011 4.4
    2012 4.1

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree
    I have little confidence we will see anything new this coming week

I wonder how predictable our 1st 15 plays are

Rocket River

6. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Foster is still Foster, the play calling and the lack of protection are what is mucking it all up.

7. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like he is losing it a bit. Isn't as difficult to bring down. Doesn't break nearly as many big runs. He used to be impossible to tackle for one man on screen passes, now he never gets more than 5 yards on a screen pass.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

There were a few check downs in past games that Schuab has missed. Araian had an open field to work with.

9. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Go back to eating meat Arian :p. Veggies making you soft j/k :p

10. Classic

Classic Member

I've been wondering where the passing plays to Arian have been all seasons. Kubes, mix it up!!!!!!!!!

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Paranoid Kubes has coached Arian into running too cautiously so he goes down quick. Well that and also obviously the ****e o-line.

12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I alluded this earlier but as bad as Foster has been this reg. season, he still had the best overall production for a RB from the AFC...
    #6 in tot. Rush. Yards in the NFL, #2 in the AFC ...1424 yards
    17 total TD'S ...I think #1 in the NFL there

And as much as he carried the ball, only Doug Martin in the top 5 rushers ahead of Foster had fewer fumbles. ... That is noteworthy in itself!

The big "knock" is the 4.1 ypc..HELL!... HOF RB, Emmitt Smith had a 4.1 ypc or worse a whopping 8 seasons in his legendary career! Some of those in his early years as well....for all we know Arian could rebound big like Marshawn Lynch did compared to his last couple years on ypc, so lets not micro scrutinize that....

I think honestly, when we look at the total picture and the fact we could improve the OL going into next season, Arian is still elite and still on track to do some great things and accomplishments...

13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

Finished the season leading in carries, as well as combined touches. His 391 isn't Eddie George's 453, but it's still a lot more than the next closest guy (the next closest who isn't superhuman Adrian Peterson).

Shore up the OL so he doesn't get reduced into a grinder. Don't give him 20+ carries in blowouts, but there's already a thread that pointed that out. Foster got 7 carries in the 4th quarter of the Titans game. The score at that point was 28-7.