1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Argentina first, China third. Scola scores 32 while Yao, 12 pts in 19 mins.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mig0s, Aug 2, 2008.

1. mig0s

mig0s Member

http://www.asia-basket.com/CHN/CHN.asp

China trounced Iran 75-46 today to finish third in the FIBA Diamond Ball Tournament. China bounded out to a 19-11 first quarter lead and was ahead 37-21 at the half. After three quarters China led 53-27. Iran was missing captain Samad Nikkhahbahrami and forward Oshin Sahakian was injured after 10 minutes. Center Hamed Ehadadi was injured in the fourth quarter. But China jumped off to a 13-4 lead and the game was never close after that.
    China trounced Iran 75-46 today to finish third in the FIBA Diamond Ball Tournament. China bounded out to a 19-11 first quarter lead and was ahead 37-21 at the half. After three quarters China led 53-27.

Iran was missing captain Samad Nikkhahbahrami and forward Oshin Sahakian was injured after 10 minutes. Center Hamed Ehadadi was injured in the fourth quarter. But China jumped off to a 13-4 lead and the game was never close after that.

Ehadadi hit only four of 13 shots against China's big men and grabbed 5 rebounds in 28 minutes. He did block four shots but also had 4 fouls and 4 turnovers. Yao Ming had 12 points and 4 rebounds in 19 minutes and Wang Zhizhi (214-C-79) had 15 points and 6 rebounds in 25 minutes. Yi Jianlian had 8 points and 9 rebounds in 25 minutes. Ehadadi did not hold up well against the Chinese big men.

Iran did outrebound China 39-33 but it grabbed 14 offensive rebounds since it only hit 27 percent of its shots. China hit 48 percent from the floor and grabbed 4 offensive rebounds. Iran had 16 turnovers to 12 for China. Javad Davari led the scoring for Iran with 12 points.

All twelve Chinese players participated in the game as this Chinese team showed it can excel against lesser competition. The question is how well it can do when it faces top-flight talent as it did Tuesday against Australia. But it did not get blown out by a better team and did blow out a lesser opponent. China is getting better even if it is not as good as it will be eventually.

Box Score:
    http://www.nanjing2008.fiba.com/pag...langlc//roundid/6362/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html

Argentina won the tournament title with a 95-91 win over Australia. Australia led 47-35 at the half and 69-62 after three quarters but Argentina outscored the Aussies 33-22 in the fourth quarter.

Luis Scola scored 32 for Argentina, Manu Ginobili scored 24 and Andres Nocioni had 20. David Barlow led Australia with 16 points. Andrew Bogut had only 4 points and 2 rebounds and played only 20 minutes.

Box Score:
    http://www.nanjing2008.fiba.com/pag...langlc//roundid/6362/fe_scheStat_boxScor.html

Good numbers by Yao. BUT, look at the boxscore, he was 4/7 from the FT line. I've noticed that he was about the same % in his last games. What happened to the 88% freethrower in the NBA?

2. rox0607champs

rox0607champs Member

man i cant wait for the season to start :D

3. JohnnyC

JohnnyC Member

Dude..you should watch that game..Iran only get 27 points in 3 quarters...their center looks awful against yao...

4. Charybdis

Charybdis Member

Sadly, Yao's numbers (I admit, I haven't seen the games) seem rather pitiful. I don't know if its because he is playing light to keep from reinjuring himself or what.

However, Scola has been very, very impressive. He is leading that Argentina team.

5. Chamillionaire

yao needs players like mac and rafer to get him the ball where he`s comfortable, i just don`t think the china national team guards make the cut.

it`s nice to see scola owning everyone, including the 1st pick bogut, who isn`t better than okafor.

6. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Those are stellar numbers by Scola!!!!

Yao
    Scola
    Artest
    Battier
    McGrady

That is the top 5 players on the Rockets, will we see that lineup at some point in the season?

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

12 points in 19 minutes in a game China coasted through is not good according to some of you? wow.

8. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

I hope not. We're not the USA basketball team who is ok with throwing the BEST players out there no matter what position, instead we're a team who fills the positions with the player who has the most talent AT that position. Meaning, Id hate to see Tmac use part of his minutes per game playing POINT guard. Let him play SG/SF and when hes not, let him REST. Don't waste his minutes at PG. You want a big PG? Throw Barry there, not our fragile Tmac.

9. Tornadoofsoul6

You can only play McGrady at the point against a slow, poor-shooting point. Or else he'll get blown by; putting Yao into more foul trouble.

10. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Just judging from the box, the Chinese really do play basketball like Communists. The minutes and shot attempts are pretty evenly distributed among all 12 players.

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

scola BETTER get more shot attempts next yr; dude is a certified stud.

12. t_mac1

watch more basketball. he may play PG on offense, but he won't guard PGs on defense. artest/shane will guard if tmac does switch to PG on offense

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They would have a very tough time matching up against quick PGs as well. I don't see us using that lineup too often unless the other team puts an unconventional lineup on the floor.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Tracy will continue to be the de facto PG/Point Forward,even with Rafer on the court. Skip will defend the opposing PG most of the time. I can see Ron and Shane sharing defensive responsibilities against 1's too when needed.

15. t_mac1

i agree. i'm just saying tracy will never guard PGs b/c shane and artest will do so if that lineup is used.

16. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

Why don't ask if the quick PG can guard Tmac? Tmac can drop 60 on him!!

17. Htown57

Htown57 Member

Exactly. With a lineup of Yao, Scola, Artest, Battier, and Tmac, we could just post up whoever they put their point gaurd on. Artest thrives on posting up smaller defenders and played a lot of 4 for sacto last year, we've seen t-mac post effectively more and more in recent years, and shane works hard for position and has good hooks with both hands (and was a 20 PPG scorer as a college PF).

Think about it--who would Chris Paul gaurd? Who would tony parker hold? Devin Harris? Jose Calderon? Paul and other elite "quick" PGs may be able to get steals, but if they're giving up 7-9 inches and 30-50 pounds, well...that's not gonna work out for them in the long run. Gaurds HATE defending in the post, it wears them out. If we play that "big" lineup, we can TORCHER quick gaurds.

I'm just gonna hibernate until the season starts... :D

18. china2008world

19. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

scola best 4 we got
    drug dealer look spells intimidation

needs more touches, even though we lost the series, scola used his jedi mind trick and made boozer go home and re think his life. Jerry Sloan is afraid Scola will OWN him. Scola the best from Argentina

he needs a bad ass nickname, not the Big Manu.....Bill Worrell so weak.

Brings sea world to mind. You can do better than that.

20. kwng

kwng Member

This is Yao first few games after a long lay off. So I am not worried. I would be slightly concerned if he is playing with such stats during the Olympics.