1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you smart enough to play basketball?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Major, Mar 3, 2004.

1. Major

Major Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...bc.bkc.georgia.easyclas.ap/index.html?cnn=yes

Here's the test Harrick gave to his "strategies of basketball" class at Georgia:

1. How many goals are on a basketball court?
    a. 1
    b. 2
    c. 3
    d. 4

2. How many players are allowed to play at one time on any one team in a regulation game?
    a. 2
    b. 3
    c. 4
    d. 5

3. In what league to (sic) the Georgia Bulldogs compete?
    a. ACC
    b. Big Ten
    c. SEC
    d. Pac 10

4. What is the name of the coliseum where the Georgia Bulldogs play?
    a. Cameron Indoor Arena
    b. Stegeman Coliseum
    c. Carrier Dome
    d. Pauley Pavilion

5. How many halves are in a college basketball game?
    a. 1
    b. 2
    c. 3
    d. 4

6. How many quarters are in a high school basketball game?
    a. 1
    b. 2
    c. 3
    d. 4

7. How many points does one field goal account for in a Basketball Game?
    a. 1
    b. 2
    c. 3
    d. 4

8. How many points does a 3-point field goal account for in a Basketball Game?
    a. 1
    b. 2
    c. 3
    d. 4

9. How many officials referee a college basketball game?
    a. 2
    b. 4
    c. 6
    d. 3

10. How many teams are in the NCAA Men's Basketball National Championship Tournament?
    a. 48
    b. 64
    c. 65
    d. 32

11. What is the name of the exam which all high school seniors in the State of Georgia must pass?
    a. Eye Exam
    b. How Do The Grits Taste Exam
    c. Bug Control Exam
    d. Georgia Exit Exam

12. What basic color are the uniforms the Georgia Bulldogs wear in home games?
    a. White
    b. Red
    c. Black
    d. Silver

13. What basic color are the uniforms the Georgia Bulldogs wear in away games?
    a. Pink
    b. Blue
    c. Orange
    d. Red

14. How many minutes are played in a college basketball contest?
    a. 20
    b. 40
    c. 60
    d. 90

15. How many minutes are played in a high school basketball game?
    a. 15
    b. 30
    c. 32
    d. 45

16. Diagram the 3-point line.

17. Diagram the half-court line.

18. How many fouls is a player allowed to have in one Basketball game before fouling out in that game?
    a. 3
    b. 5
    c. 7
    d. 0

19. If you go on to become a huge coaching success, to whom will you tribute (sic) the credit?
    a. Mike Krzyzewski
    b. Bobby Knight
    c. John Wooden
    d. Jim Harrick Jr.

20. In your opinion, who is the best Division I assistant coach in the country?
    a. Ron Jursa (sic)
    b. John Pelphrey
    c. Jim Harrick Jr.
    d. Steve Wojciechowski

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

And people wonder how Dexter Manley made it through college:rolleyes:

3. Major

Major Member

I especially like Question #8.

4. drapg

drapg Member

Unbelievable.

"How do the Grits Taste Exam"

A slap in the face of higher learning right there folks.

5. tozai

tozai Member

I think it's pretty funny. It's not exactly like most athletes are taking challenging courses unless they have to.

Why do you think they're all in Communications, Sociology, or General Studies? Many are not there to get an education and probably wouldn't be there if it wasn't for basketball.

6. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

how many failed??

7. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

What about Urban Studies? or Parks and Recreation?:D

8. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Did you just catch the Bama/Arkansas game?!?!!?!?

Down 22 in the second half they got it into OT with a 3 with 10 seconds left. Arkansas called timeout when they had the ball on their half court with 2.5 seconds (WTF?!?!). The TIde had the momentum in OT.

Best game I've seen all year; Saturday will be quite a matchup.

Oh, yeah and maybe I should reconsider going to UGA...

9. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Absolutely ridiculous.. to think my team has to compete with those type organizations... at least there is one school in the SEC still that makes their players do work

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

I should say that there may be other schools in the SEC that the players have to do work, but there seem to be quite a few where they don't

11. Major

Major Member

This only gets better...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=1757776

Some exerpts:

<I>
    Jim Harrick Jr., who was fired from his job as assistant coach for Georgia's men's basketball team last year amid allegations of academic fraud, told NCAA investigators that he believed he deserved a Teacher of the Year Award for the course he taught.

Students told NCAA investigators, according to the paper, that attendance and the final exam were optional, and that by the time Harrick gave the test at least half of the class had stopped showing up.

Students said Harrick outlined a plan in which they could receive an A by attending "some" classes, along with at least one varsity basketball game and one team practice, the paper said.

Harrick told investigators that Cole "chose to come to practice every day, not have to go to class ... And Tony wasn't the only one to do that. We had several athletes, females, ordinary students that felt, 'Hey, it's beneficial, plus it fits in my schedule better.'

"I thought personally it was a great idea. I took great pride in that class ... Teacher of the Year award, I thought I was going to get," Harrick said.
    </I>

12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Are you kidding me, I was born in Valporaiso, Ind. Up there you eat, sleep and drink basketball. As a matter of fact, if you didn't like Bobby Night you weren't allowed into my grandmas house. That's a true story.

I would like to know what yalls first memory of playing basketball is?

I remember shooting a ball into a hammper in my basment when I was three years old. That next year I was shooting through the peach bucket on the side of the barn. By five, I was on my first offical basketball team and have loved the game ever since.

13. PieEatinFattie

PieEatinFattie Contributing Member

You are not kidding. I have been in Indianapolis for almost a year now. The other day while scanning the local radio stations I heard five HIGH SCHOOL games being broadcast on major stations, not the high school's broadcast. And it's not even playoff time yet. The funny thing is that they still can't sell out Pacer games. Figure that one out.

14. Roc Paint

It's because they like to groove to the grass roots up there. It's kinda like football down here.

15. PieEatinFattie

PieEatinFattie Contributing Member

They are pretty nuts for college ball as well. Some Indiana college team is on Local TV just about every night. The Big Ten Tourney is in town this weekend and I don't think it got this busy around here for the 500.

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

What's kind of weird is that some of the good students(at least GPA wise) are also taking these crap majors. I'd assume that if you're someone who could actually benefit from college and get a useful diploma, you'd go for the majors that get you jobs. Yet these guys are getting 3.7 GPAs in Communications major. Of course, if they didn't actually earn these grades, I can see why. But surely a teach wouldn't give these guys As when they're failing, right?

17. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I guesss grandma didn't care enough to teach you how to spell his last name??:p

18. Roc Paint

Good Knight :eek: