1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you rooting for the Spurs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by htwnbandit, Jun 1, 2014.

1. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

Rooting for the Spurs for basketball reasons. Against all odds - small market, little top draft opportunities and old age, you name it, they've managed to dominate the league for many years. They've made smart trades, drafted well, designed excellent team ball strategies. They win not with their talent, but with their smart team plays. What's not to like?

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

For as long as I have been a Rockets fan (which is most of my life), I have hated the Spurs and Mavericks as inter-state rivals.

But I also have hated most everything that Miami has done since 2010.

I'm pulling for the meteor strike.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

As a Rockets fan there is no way I can root for rivals Dallas and San Antonio. No way.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

In case you haven't heard, Spurs aren't our rival.

I was shocked too.

5. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

+1

I'm "for" the Spurs in this post-season particularly for how they contrast with how the current Rockets play. Just like the Texans look to adopt some of the hated "Patriots way," I hope the Rockets can adopt some of the "Spurs way."

6. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Spurs are winners, the rockets need learn lots form them. I hope the rockets GM, coach, and players watch their plays closely, and stop to play dammit stupid ball. The fans likely want to watch the beautiful basketball from the team like Spurs.

7. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

I appreciate the way the spurs play and recognize the rarity that is their form of team ball, but fk the spurs. They will always be a rival. You respect your opponents but you sure as hell dont cheer for them. Its not like its a bunch of guys coming out of nowhere and pulling huge upsets to win and even if that were the case I still wouldnt cheer for them. There is no scenario where I cheer for Dallas, San Antonio, Utah and Lakers (unless LA, Utah, San An are playing dallas).

8. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

I want the heat to lose, so I am rooting for the spurs.

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

When faced with this "difficult" decision of picking from 2 remaining teams in the playoffs, its hard not to root for the team that got out of Western Conference...The teams that play in this conference gut it out and pummel each other, and its victor often comes out of the fray limping towards the finish line. Miami on the other hand effectively has a 1st round bye(Bobcats) and then is faces with the arduous task of beating the YMCA Nets. Then they face a #1 seed(Pacers) that is inept in scoring for the Eastern Conference crown. So its not that hard to root for that team which traversed through a maze of 7 50+ winning teams in the West.

/rant

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

Once we have nothing to do with SA, I have no problem rooting for them to win. If we're jostling for playoff positioning and SA is right there, then I won't root for SA.

11. ptealixpaint

ptealixpaint Member

I'm rooting for the Spurs. Anyone not from Miami or who hasn't been a Miami fan since childhood for whatever reasing rooting for the Heat is a bandwagoner who should be castrated.

And watching Tim slam the court after missing that critical shot last year was heart breaking. That guy had a great series and still put everything on himself for one missed shot. Would be nice to see some other players take responsibility for missed plays... Or maybe two playoffs in a row of awful play... COUGH HARDEN COUGH.

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

Spurs are not our rivals. People need to quit making up stuff to hide their envy.

1 person likes this.
  13. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I still feel they are just as a holdover from the Championship years when the Admiral was named MVP over Dream and Dream personally stomped all over him in the playoffs.

14. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

so if I'm understanding this whole 'not a rival' argument correctly... if a team doesn't make the playoffs for like a decade (hence they have no postseason history against any teams) then they have no rivals....?

Isn't the term 'a division rival'?

That said, still pulling for the Spurs... once the Rox are outta contention... gotta respect the SA organization...

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes. I like to see team ball > great individual talents. Plus, it's really hard to root for the Miami punks.

16. bmd

bmd Member

Maybe in college since a lot of players on the team are from Texas...

But that doesn't make sense with professional sports...

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The United Spurs of America? <a href="http://t.co/7Jqmmd8zaC" title="http://twitter.com/daleysports/status/473639326442848256/photo/1">pic.twitter.com/7Jqmmd8zaC</a> (via @<a href="https://twitter.com/daleysports">daleysports</a>)</p>&mdash; darren rovell (@darrenrovell) <a href="https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/473651153071517696" data-datetime="2014-06-03T02:23:29+00:00">June 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. DreamEarlNolan

While I hate the Spurs because they are a division rival, I still have respect for them. I just feel they are an organization that represents themselves with class. When it comes to the Heat I just hate them. The way Lebron left Cleveland was classless. In my opinion Wade is a phony. Early in his career almost every interview or article of his I saw he talked about what a strong christian he was, but all indications are he cheated on his wife with a movie star. Bosh actually seems to be a decent guy. I really don't want either team to win, but of the two I have to go with the Spurs.

19. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Hell no, I'll never root for the Spurs. People want reasons to dislike them? How about all their flopping, whining, complaining, and cheap-shots over the years? Also, their coach is an overrated prick as evidenced by leaving Duncan on the bench when all they needed was a rebound to secure a championship in game 6 last year. The guy can't even answer basic questions from reporters and journalists in a semi-professional manner. People always want to talk about how easy it is for the Heat to get in the Finals because they play in the East. But who has San Antonio played? Their road to the Finals the last two years consisted of playing against teams with star players either hurt or missing due to injuries. They haven't beaten a legitimate championship contender in the playoffs in practically 10 years since they beat the Pistons in game 7 at home to win the title in 2005. I'm hoping for Miami to rip out their hearts again.

Edit: I would also like to see Alief Elsik's Rashard Lewis get a ring. The guy loves Houston with all his heart.

#159 Kwame, Jun 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You are exactly right. When you are a nobody, it's laughable that you claim anybody is your rival.

This has been rehashed many times. Division in the NBA is meaningless. It would be different if this was the NFL or the MLB where you almost had to win the division to be in the playoffs, and where you played your division teams much more than other teams.