1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you rooting for the Spurs?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by htwnbandit, Jun 1, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What? No drama? Duncan being discussed if he is gay or whatever. Parker's personal situation couple years ago. Ginobili flopping every year.

And Pop trying to mess with journalists. :grin:

2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Of course I watched the series. And how does that link help your position. I mentioned nothing about the refs.... I simply said we held our own vs DAL. The link actually helps my position.

Utah didn't rob us. We lost fair and square in the 90's and during the Yao Era. Was it disappointing? Sure. But we weren't robbed.

It's not simply fans from other teams, it's the media and b-ball fans in general.

Don't understand why it's so difficult for Rockets fans to root against the Spurs. Oh well, such is life.

3. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I would root for them, but my basketball collection says Lebron and the Heat. ;)

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

I think we both have different ideas on what merits a dislike for a team. You dislike a team who destroy us in a series. I do not care about that, if a team destroys us they were clearly better. I hate it when we loose to a team who IMHO is not a better team than us, or who won because of the refs (which happened in 2005). It also doesn't help when they have players I dislike (that is one of the reasons I do not dislike Portland, since I do not mind the players).

I did not mean rob in the sense they did not deserve it. But they are the reason we never had a Rockets-Bulls finals, or why the Rockets during the Yao era never mad it far in the play offs. Also I really disliked certain Jazz players (but I never disliked them as much as the Lakers)

I do not care about the media (which is easy since I do not live in the US).

Why would I want to root against the Spurs. They play a basketbal style that I love. Like I said I hate teams who have players I dislike. And I have no affiliation with the city of Houston, so why should I hate a team from a town close to Houston.

I think we have different opinions on what merits a dislike for a team. For you it seems to be (correct me if i'm wrong):
    They humiliated us
    They are from a city close by .

For me the reasons are:
    They beat us undeservedly
    They have players/coaches I dislike

5. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

explain this rivalry we have with the Spurs, besides them being in our division and geographic wise. we play many teams 4x a season. is Memphis and New Orleans a rival? they're in the same division. you don't think our fans would act the same way with the success of their franchise for the last 10+ years? we haven't played them in big games to really put any extra emotions into the game. dallas on the other hand, well we just hate dallas in general. they're a douchebag city

6. SpiffyRifi

SpiffyRifi Member

It is really hard to hate the Spurs (or the Thunder for that matter). They aren't flashy, they just go out and work hard. I'd much rather they win than Lebron and the Heat.

Plus, as a Rockets fan I think the Spurs winning this year could be good for the Rockets. If they win I really see Duncan retiring and if he retires I think Pop retires too. With those two guys out, I think it is the end of the Spurs dynasty. Maybe it's a mistake to ever count out the Spurs considering how well their organization is run, but a Leonard/Parker led team doesn't really scare me.

7. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

I rooting for the Spurs in the hopes that one more title will hasten the retirement of Duncan and Ginobili.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Not sure how you conjured that conclusion considering the Spurs never blew us out... and I'm currently arguing why to not cheer for them.

You live outside of the country, cool. Do you at least understand why someone who does reside here would care about the media? Also, you didn't mention the "b-ball fans in general" portion of that response. Another title might increase their notion of TD > Olajuwon. This will happen in and outside the US.

Never knew you had affiliation with Houston. So I somewhat understand why you wouldn't dislike SA. Do you at least understand why someone who is born and raised in Houston would?

Again, Utah deserved to win. I too can hate teams due to certain players, so we agree there.

Memphis and NO are rivals on a lesser level. SA is greater due to geography and history.

9. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

yes.

would never root for the heat

10. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Really wanted the Spurs to win last year. I wanted Tmac to get his ring. :(

So this year, yeah I'm going for Spurs.

11. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

Reluctantly going for the Heat. I used to hate Cleveland Lebron, but I find him more likable now. And I don't know any Heat fans. I know too many Spurs fans and I want them to be Damian Lillard buzzer beater miserable.

12. ApuN

ApuN Member

Dude you are so right. Rooting for a division rival to win a championship is just plain ridiculous IF you are indeed a Rocket fan

I think the fact some of the posters are willing to do this is just a reflection of how sorry the Rockets have been for 17 seasons

Most are simply too young to know what its like to root for the home team when the Rockets legitimately used to make real playoff runs and had real chances to get to the finals.

Twenty years ago and back, nobody would be thinking this crap

13. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

Definitely rooting for the Spurs. While I've remained a stalwart Rockets fan since I moved to Austin in 2000, I have been in Spur country for 14 years and in that time, my dislike for the black & silver has waned considerably and I admire what they've been able to accomplish. Nothing would give me more pleasure than seeing Timmy D get his 5th ring and exorcise those demons from last year's series (when I was pulling for the Spurs too). Of course, I still root for the Rockets against the Spurs, but San Antonio is a viable alternative that I can get behind with no qualms.

Go Spurs Go!

14. AstroMechPLZ

AstroMechPLZ Member

Basically, this.

15. rockets88MT

rockets88MT Member

Kawhi is one of my favourite players.

Spurs

16. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

**** the Spurs!

17. solodolo

solodolo Member

18. rocketsmetalspd

I agree with this statement 100% and endorse it! Yeah!!:grin:

19. rocketsmetalspd

That is exactly the look I want to see Pop and Timmy have when the Heat take the rings from their zombie hands. :grin:

20. Granville

Granville Member

I'm rooting for the Spurs............to get SWEPT!!