1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you politically alienated?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Two Sandwiches, May 15, 2022.

?

Do you feel politically alienated?

1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Are you alienated from either of the two political parties? I'd venture to say most are.

Both parties are moving so radically towards the polar ends of their respective spectrum that most people are frustrated by the state of the nation, in my opinion. I guess this is where the money is at. It seems the news networks run their respective party and they will do what gives them more clicks and views.

We need both parties to move back center to restore any kind of faith I have in this nation, sadly.

I'd be shocked if less than 70% of the answers were "Yes."

Slyonebluejay, ArtV and tinman like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I only care about the person who will get us to meet the aliens

3. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Both siderism is going to be the end of US democracy. I'm not exaggerating.

jiggyfly, SamFisher, Major and 9 others like this.
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Big money in canpaogns has shifted a slow death of democracy. Whatever these positions are has been calibrated to do nothing this time and delay for next time. Trump and the mouth breather rebellion might've shook up the time tables lol

The news, economists, and experts say things are going great and that we should all shut up and like it.

Nook, Two Sandwiches and Andre0087 like this.
  5. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes as a common sense progressive, I feel very alienated from so-called moderates who think my desire for affordable health care and education, equal rights for all demographics, and a fair tax policy that isn’t so tilted toward the 1% is somehow equivalent to the GOP’s affinity for right wing hate groups, GRT believers, Gordon Gecko style capitalism and a strong desire for an authoritarian government led by a grossly egotistical and stupid douche who never worked a hard day in his life.

Does that mean I think all progressive or even moderately liberal ideas are perfect? Not at all - and as I’ve said so many times, healthy good faith debate between conservatives and liberals would make our country much stronger. But as it stands today, the GOP is led by individuals and ideas that are morally indefensible and who would torch this country before allowing it to be co-governed anyone who isn’t a white male Prosperity Gospel Christian. Compromise is only possible when both sides are acting in good faith, and the GOP as a party has not acted in good faith since it was taken over by the Dixiecrats and evangelicals.

The fact that so many “moderates” fail to see this is incredibly alienating.

Rileydog, VooDooPope, Nook and 5 others like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I feel like old Boomer moderates are self interested in locking their retirement and pension benefits. They can refi thei 2x-3x homes for a significantly lower interest rate while argue against universal housing for obvious reasons.

There are definitely poor spent boomers who lived a full life of free sex and drug abuse, then a decade or two of pulling their bootstraps tuh make sumthin of themselves, but most of this American prosperity has been fine tuned and driven for this me first demo.

They arent progressive because that signals a shifting from their needs and privileges. Social security broke...so don't expand it before i get my own cut!!!

Many of the younger generations might get lucky if these Hard Workers die and leave them an inheritance of some form.

We might not be depraved enough to liquidate old folks yet, but the birth rate will create a reckoning between the top and bottoms of the demo pyramids. Stupid babies won't know what hit them.

Two Sandwiches and subtomic like this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think the right makes a bigger deal out of the far left. Nobody actually listens to the far left. People living in a trailer in East, TX act like their neighborhood is about to get overtaken by Antifa Mexican transvestite pansexuals whose male children will eventually dominate 7th grade girls basketball. Meanwhile all of the actual political candidates are just Republicans from 20 years ago and the new Republican President is getting sworn in by Proud Boys (lulz).

I just wanna buy weed, have electricity and not get my property taxes blasted up my ass every year.

Good luck.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If anything I'm less alienated. I used to be not just an independent who has voted for several Republicans in addition to Democrats, but a member of the MN Independence Party (Jesse Ventura's party). The last few years though has shown the danger of where much of the GOP is at and while I might be frustrated with many in the Democratic party given stakes and how close things are this country I'm much more of a Democratic partisan now.

That doesn't mean I'm voting straight ticket and in many local races will still likely buck the Democratic party. As long as the Republican party is Nativist Personality Cult I'm not going to vote for them on a Federal level and will support the Democrats even though many of them including Biden frequently make me want to roll my eyes.

9. Buck Turgidson

No.

I've been pushed from the center/left of one party to the center of the other.

Nook, Major, Ubiquitin and 2 others like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Thank you, Clayton Williams.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That guy stills feel like a Dallas character that leapt off the page, then Lorimar just pretended to not know him once the series got cancelled.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm alienated by stupid people and how much a voice they are given by media because of ratings.

Ubiquitin, Andre0087, ROCKSS and 6 others like this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

And how much weight their word holds, most importantly.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's the same here. The most r****ded people are the ones that post the most and they get a lot of attention. It's like a misbehaving child. Part of the reason I'm on reddit a lot, the r****ds get downvoted enough eventually that you don't see the dumbass responses and posts.

15. Buck Turgidson

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

Don't rub your dick raw ****ing that strawman.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

as a civilization we are wayyyyyyyyyyyyy behind

i blame the dumb people who hate the smart people
    you art history dropouts know

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Far less so. Through my life, my preferred period is probably the Clinton/Gingrich period, that despite the usual sniping and the ridiculous impeachment, the two of them actually worked together and compromised to get a lot done (much opposition was pretty much a for the camera deal then), sans the trade deals, i hate the trade deals.

Then bush's administration became a combination of war monger, church warrior and darwinian free trade zealotry, i hated all of those and the "controlled decline" model it espouses, i didn't mind obama's first term, but the whole idpol thing began in the 2nd term and that whole thing is ridiculous on a mind numbingly stupid level (but by making the cause "righteous", people's brains get turned off),

In many ways i see the negative turning point when they started believing that corporations had rights, rather than just being a statutory entity that follows whatever rules the government sets out (late reagan/bush snr era?).

That Trump's reverse direction were on the three awfuls of Bush : War, trade and bible bashing was a huge improvement, but the majority of the party, at least in the meantime remains committed to darwinian trade deals and endless war, maybe not bible bashing so much anymore

And the democrats need to stop listening to whatever clown is running their focus groups, the same people telling them that idpol is a good thing, are probably the ones who thought ultra maga and the great maga king would be a negative to Trump.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don’t sleep on your back after drunk posting

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're not even a type 1 civilization yet and most likely our current problems show that we might be running up on the Great Filter.

Xerobull, Ubiquitin and tinman like this.