1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you okay with the Rockets trading Parsons/Lin or Asik for a lottery pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, May 21, 2014.

?

Are you okay with trading Parsons for a lottery pick?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2014.
  1. Yes. Parsons will demand a lot of next year anyways, and there is a hole at PG/PF.

138 vote(s)
    59.7%
  2. No. Parsons is too important for this team.

93 vote(s)
    40.3%
  1. tested911

tested911 Member

I would be open to trading Parsons/Lin/Asik/Bev but for the right price. Lottery pick is 1-10 so are you saying Parsons/lin for a pick 10? Then no, but would consider with 1-4.

2. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

Yeah, this has nothing to do with Parsons value, we just don't need any more "developing pieces". We need players that are ready to come in and contribute. I can assure you Mouree isn't going after a lotto pick. If that happens than look for us to go back to fighting for an eighth seed.

3. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I think a deal like this would be more likely:

HOUSTON ROCKETS
    Timberwolves acquire: Chandler Parsons, Terrence Jones, Omer Asik, a 2015 first-round pick an a 2017 first-round pick (lottery-protected)

Rockets acquire: Kevin Love

Rockets owner Leslie Alexander has said his team will be chasing big names this summer. Love very much qualifies. The offensive fit could be brilliant. While incorporating three high-usage stars could lead to early growing pains, the raw firepower of Love, James Harden and Dwight Howard would be enough to overwhelm most opponents. Houston would take a step forward in its contention by consolidating talent in an ever-trendy trio of superstars.

GALLERY: Classic photos of Kevin Love

Naturally, any such deal would come at very real cost to the Rockets. Parsons, who will earn just $964,750 next season in the final year of his deal, would be the toughest to see go for the same reasons he would be a very necessary inclusion. Parsons, 25, is not a star, but the former second-round pick is close enough and cheap enough to draw big interest. His versatility would be worth investing in, and Minnesota would have the inside track on Parsons’ 2015 free agency by holding his Bird rights. A package bolstered by Jones, a draft pick and Asik (for salary filler/trade bait) isn’t too bad, though Parsons’ interest in re-signing is a huge caveat.

4. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

I'm ok with trrading lin and asik, but not parsons.
    He's a proven player, and with the lottery picks you are basically taking a crap shoot (see #1 pick last year). Honestly name 5 rookie players that had great seasons ? Parsons had a great season, no thanks. Maybe we will find another parsons late in the rd or 2nd.

5. passdarock

passdarock Member

I am okay with trading Asik, Lin, Dmo, TJones, and even P.Bev but not Parsons.

Parsons is probably not the best at his position but he is still developing and has huge potential. Aside from another all-star player, Chandler is the other missing piece to become a championship team.

Year after year the Rockets keep to making the same mistake and feed other teams great players. Invest in your players!!!

6. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

You are high as **** if you think any of those guys are netting you a top 4 pick. The absolute highest I could see any of them getting us is the 8th pick and that's with #25 included.

7. j3i

j3i Member

"There is a hole at PG/PF." Well guess what if you trade Parsons there will be a hole at the SF position. It's not like Hamilton and Garcia are guaranteed to be around next year, either.

8. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

We need a lock-down defender at that position, not another scorer like Parsons.

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You can bet Morey is shopping Parsons to see what he can get. How hard he's shopping might depend on how much money Fegan asked for.

I don't know Parsons' true value. He hustles, he cares about the team, he usually plays very well. 17 ppg, 4 apg. Drawbacks? Play no defense, offer lame excuses after losing winnable games, getting a liiiittle full of himself. (Basically, he's a Rocket.)

I'd hate to see him go though.

But since this is all hypothetical: if it were Parsons + Lin + Tjones + $1.8 million for Orlando's #4 pick and Jameer Nelson? Draft Smart or best PF available and keep Nelson (or waive Nelson, saving six million cap space because only $19 million of the $25 million, three-year contract is guaranteed)? And Parsons then gets to play in front of his home crowd?

As long as we have a deal elsewhere for someone like Deng?

And Asik goes somewhere in a separate deal?

Then, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe.

In this case,

10. JD88

JD88 Member

Id like to see the rockets grab randle and sign a SF veteran.

11. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Maybe, getting Melo is a better option since we can keep Parsons, and the team likely would be better in the short term.

12. Bo6

Bo6 Member

lose parsons, asik gain jabari parker? yes please.

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

If Parsons can net a top 7 pick.. you do it. Especially if you need it to complete a bigger trade to add a MELO or so on.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The reason why the Lowry trade is worth mentioning is because the Rockets actually got really lucky. Lowry was traded some time before ANYONE knew that Harden would truly be available, and had Harden accepted the contract extension from OKC, the Rockets might very well have given up a borderline-all-star level PG for a rookie that (if they were lucky) would have currently been that backup center.

I'm merely stating the risk. The Rockets got lucky before that they were able to flip the pick. If they are able to flip it, great, but if not, they could potentially shoot themselves in the foot big time. Just noting the risk. People here are just assuming they make the Parsons for pick trade and its an automatic that it gets flipped for a star. That's not true.

He might be worth it for this team. If the team is already locked, and we are only talking about potentially luxury tax, why do we care about Les' pocketbook? We should only be concerned about flexibility to make moves within the salary cap restrictions. If you make a move for another (or two) impact players, THAN lock up Parsons in free agency next year, you are maximizing the talent you can have on the roster.

I look at the Lance Stephenson situation as a great example of this. Is Lance going to get over-paid in free agency this year? Probably. Will that contract be poison to a team taking him??... potentially IF they sign him to a large contract and its shown that signing him alone wasn't enough to make themselves a contender.

If Lance is over-paid on his next contract, does it hurt the Pacers???... Not really because they are already capped out and have their core (George, Hibbert, West, Hill) in tact. Lance is simply just going to cost their owner more money and potentially luxury tax. I would argue that it makes more sense for Indiana to sign Lance to an over-priced contract than it does for a rebuilding team to over-pay for Lance Stephenson.

Same might very well go for Chandler Parsons and the Rockets next year. The way to maximize the talent you can put on this roster is to make your move to solidify your core BEFORE Parsons goes to free agency & let Les Alexander worry about his own personal finances afterwards.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If the pick is high enough, of course you do it. But, no I wouldn't trade for the fair market equivalent of Parsons or Asik or Jones in the draft. Not because any of them are too important, but because I'm not interested in going backwards on the experience curve. We have Howard and Harden. We should be pushing for championships now, not 3 years from now. Nor is this the time to groom a successor. Get game-ready good players in their prime right now. I'd rather lose a trade for a veteran than win a trade for a rookie.

16. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I would like to keep Parsons but he will be too expensive. That coupled with the fact that we can not stay put and expect to contend means that we have to do something. Morey has been good at moving the parts around and that is what he needs to do.

My biggest reservation with moving Parsons is that he seemed to be instrumental in getting Dwight here and I don't really want to deal with a disgruntled Mr. Howard. Either way though, if we are not winning, everyone is going to be disgruntled.

Homer comment on Marcus Smart, he will be a great NBA player. His competitive drive and will to win coupled with his court awareness and his NBA ready build and abilities will make him an all star one day and sooner rather than later. Marcus has already proven that he can compete with the best the NBA has to offer at the point guard position on Team USA. Safest pick in the draft IMO, and the only true two way player in the top 5-7.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If the Rockets are able to make moves to solidify their core before Parsons goes to free agency than why do we care???

See my post from earlier for a more detailed explanation. Making moves first, and then re-upping Parsons is the best way to maximize the amount of talent you can put on this roster.

1 person likes this.
  18. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

So "glue guys" just happen to grow on trees? How can you tell if a "glue guy" will fit with a certain team?
    Btw, Danny Granger laughs at your statement.

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I am not sure if its worth the risk to trade Parson for a lottery pick,

and I am also not sure if any teams will be willing to offer any lottery picks for Asik.

However,

I am VERY SURE that Morey will trade Lin for a $2 Texas Lotto ticket in a heart beat.

20. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Also, what kind of message are you sending to your other players if you trade the most loyal player with lots of added value (recruiting, "glue guy"...), denying him a very deserved raise after three seasons of playing hard for peanuts?
    Maybe Morey can make him an example, sending a message that nobody is bigger than the team, although that argument is invalidated by McHale who never holds Harden accountable and lets the team live and die with him.