1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you okay with the Rockets trading Parsons/Lin or Asik for a lottery pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Swishh, May 21, 2014.

?

Are you okay with trading Parsons for a lottery pick?

Poll closed Jul 23, 2014.
  1. Yes. Parsons will demand a lot of next year anyways, and there is a hole at PG/PF.

138 vote(s)
    59.7%
  2. No. Parsons is too important for this team.

93 vote(s)
    40.3%
  1. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Yes I am. And Les will be paying him, not me. Once we get a third star, we will probably be over the cap, but could still keep Parsons and pay him what he deserves. I don't care if Les has to pay the luxury tax. I do think Parsons is very important to this team. Just my opinion.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Over the next 3~4 years, which is kind of our window for contention, I would take Parsons over everyone in the draft after pick 4 without hesitation. I'll make the trade for someone like Wiggins or Parker. But Asik and Parsons for Marcus Smart and a crappy salary filler? Umm... No.

And no, none of the teams with a top 4 pick would even think about trading one to us unless Harden's involved.

1 person likes this.
  3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Can't speak for Rip but I am most definitely. Let's say we sign Melo by dumping Asik, Lin, Dmo, and our # 25. At this point Harden, Howard, and Melo by themselves have capped the team out. You're stuck with the MLE and vet minimum guys. However you can go over the cap to resign Parsons and Bev as well. Who really care for how much at that point you're capped out.

4. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

I could see Parsons and Asik going for a lottery pick but the hard part to sell is that Asik will not be a protected free agent.

5. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

I think if we trade Asik/Parsons/Lin(1 of the 3) and the 24th pick we could land a pick between 6th-14th. I can see Charlotte or Sacramento trading their pick.
    Depending on their need and ours.

6. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

meant 25h pick

7. Swishh

Swishh Member

The thing is, Asik/Lin aren't going to net you a lottery pick. It will take Parsons and perhaps Asik. But ,this draft is deep, a middle-late lottery pick will be able to contribute right away - if that pick is unable to get you Love. For example, if the Rockets got Marcus Smart, or Randle/Vonleh, I don't doubt that they'd be able to contribute right away in the starting lineup. I understand your viewpoint though.

I think it would take more than just a lottery pick though for Kevin Love, unless it's a top 3, or perhaps a top 5 pick. The Lakers have literally nothing else of value aside from their #7 pick.

8. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Although it would be nice to build more chemistry with our core and incorporate some vets and role players, since we are in a win-now mode, we need to seize the day. Everybody should be a trade chip except Howard and Harden...even the overrated 2nd tier golden boy glue guy known as Parsons.

9. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

lol you need to GIVE a lottery pick to get rid of Lin.

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

[​IMG]

11. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

We like Parsons, but he is more than expendable.... i would trade him for a top 6 pick... or LOVE OR MELO any day of the week and twice on sunday.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

This might actually be a draft to trade knows for unknowns. Can't see us getting anything near a lotto pick for Lin or Asik. It's gotta be all about Parsons.

It's a tough call. I think if you can get into the top 3-5 you might have to considering his impending payday. But I certainly wouldnt trade him for mid to late lotto.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rookies are not the answer.....however if you trade Asik and Lin - sure - we have better players than them on the team already at their positions.

DD

14. J Hard

J Hard Member

Screw all this trading up , we're not a mediocre team anymore. Lets not trade hust for the sake of it, we dont need a top 10 lottery pick/3rd superstar. We need super subs and role players to fill out team. If we have a full loaded attack no matter who's in the game, then we'd be on SA's level.
    If we get KJ McDaniels or Shabazz in this draft, sign some good vets, we're set.

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Asik won't be able to yield a lottery pick IMO, but if he can DM should consider it.
    Parsons' value has decreased with his poor playoff performance, but the Rockets might be able to get a low lottery pick for him. I would retain him, unless we can get a fairly high pick and a falling potential star in return.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I cannot believe so many people here voted yes.... really folks... come on. you SHOULD BE smarter than that.

Imagine if the Rockets were in "win-now" mode back in 2012 and traded their starting PG Lowry for a draft pick that became Steven Adams, and DIDN'T use him to facilitate a trade, but instead used him as a basketball player.

And thats IF the Rockets are LUCKY in the draft and get a player that actually ends up being a rotation player.

This is EXACTLY the kind of move you are suggesting if you vote yes. The Rockets would be moving the 3rd best player, & locker room leader for a rookie that IF THEY ARE LUCKY ends up actually contributing in the first couple of seasons in the league.

-Now if the Rockets already have a deal lined up to flip the pick for someone like Kevin Love than that's another thing, but with so much competition out there for Love, even if you pick up a pick in the 5 to 9 range, you are still at best going to have a 30 to 40% chance of landing Love in a trade. If you strike out on Love than you just royally shot yourself in the foot, and that move could end up costing Morey his job in a few years when Parsons is improved even more & the rookie they took in the draft might not even be a clear cut starter.

17. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Only if it results in flipping that pick as part of the assets we'd use for someone that is an established star.

18. BinBinRingRing

Then Rockets won't pass Blazers next year.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, if someone is taking back Asik & Lin with Parsons and Lebron is opting out and begging Morey for a contract.

20. rullrich

rullrich Member

I think what most people are suggesting by saying yes is to use the pick as part of a deal for a 3rd star...identical situation to the Lowry trade you reference. High draft picks are much more desirable to a team looking to move a star than above average "glue guy's".

The other thing you're ignoring is we avoid being put in a position to lock our salary up by trading Parsons. He's unquestionably going to cost an 8 figure amount in the next year - is he really worth that? That basically removes us from most star FA signings.