1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you living the dream?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Apr 13, 2023.

?

Are you living the dream?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    59.3%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Congrats @IBTL on the upcoming addition to the family!

I would not say I am living the dream since I am still living with my parents and I, too, could stand to lose some weight BUT things are so much better now than they were a year ago. So I am happy and thankful for that.

2. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Your invention could still be used as a wireless cigarette lighter if you short it out the right way. ;)

4. Buck Turgidson

It's Mountain Time.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

I love this song a bit.

7. Buck Turgidson

Why are you crying?

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Congrats @IBTL and glad to hear a lot of posters are happy with their lives.

I’m certainly not living the dream that I expected as a kid or even in college. For one I’m not driving a Ferrari or having sex with SI swimsuit models. I haven’t won in the Olympics either. As I’ve gotten older those things have gotten less important but I’ve also not felt I’ve lived up to my goals or potential in life.

At the same time I’m very aware that in comparison to the vast majority of people in this world I’m very fortunate. The day before I left for my trip to New Zealand I was accused by someone of having “privilege” for being able to go travel around the World. And yes I fully recognize that I do have that privilege. That’s also why though I feel it’s very important to contribute back to society whether it’s through teaching, volunteering or even protecting my neighborhood during the riots following the killing of George Floyd.

Ultimately I’ve tried to find the balance between aspiration and acceptance in life. I very much believe in the Buddhist idea that feelings of desire and longing for things like money, fame or even love leads to suffering so learning to live with what you have and where you are is important. At the same time believing that life has a purpose and doing more and trying to improve is vital.

#28 rocketsjudoka, Apr 13, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
    OmegaSupreme, Nook, IBTL and 3 others like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

because you keep posting random songs?

No! Because I never lived the dream of completing my wireless cigarette lighter and y'all just don't get what that's like. To have such a specific and ambitious dream.

CCity Zero and Manny Ramirez like this.
  10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Big respect to you

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  11. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

I think so. There's not a single thing that I need need and things have been stable for some time now to the point where things are kinda boring. A good mentor friend of mine told me not to mistake serenity for boredom, so maybe I'm just an ungrateful arse? I dunno. Maybe it's time for some volunteer stuff.

I've been married for a good while and it's been great (he's also in the program). Living in Los Angeles is fine. Family back home in Houston are doing ok. I really don't want a whole lot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pretty sure I am.

AroundTheWorld, ElPigto, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  12. London'sBurning

I think what you're describing are e-cigarettes.

Xerobull likes this.
  13. London'sBurning

Xerobull likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That’s a good point about mistaking serenity for boredom. Serenity in terms of accepting where you are at in life is a good thing. Feeling like you’re losing out and that you need to get more money, fame, possessions etc.. isn’t good and will lead to more unhappiness. That isn’t the same as wanting to improve yourself and enrich your life in other ways.

OmegaSupreme and Xerobull like this.
  15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Life is good. Great wife and kids, fully fund the 401k, health is good, bought a house in 2020 before prices and interest rates went crazy. Job is great with WFH days and have a second interview for an even better position on Tuesday.

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

First house? We bought our first house in 2020 before interest rates and prices went nuts. our home was worth $220k when we bought it, now 3 years later it's close to $300k. Nuts.

Hell yeah on the second interview.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Third now, (sold the other two). Yeah the price increases are nuts. I bought at $303k now Zillow, etc. project at like $410k.

However FBCAD has the fair market value at $475k???? Ain’t no one going to buy my house for that. Going to dispute this year.

IBTL likes this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

If it can light weed, there's a market for it

Also, out of curiosity, what was your last big invention?

B-Bob and VooDooPope like this.
  19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Living the dream? Yes and no.

My dream? No. Then again, I didn't really have one. The only goal or aspiration I remember having is I wanted to be a "lawyer focused on technology, mainly intellectual property as it pertains to the internet". Weird goal to have as high school kid at the turn of the millennium (clearly I was popular and a hit with the ladies). I ended up in tech but bailed on law school when I saw the bills (probably smart in retrospect), now I have to settle for arguing with idiots in the D&D to get my legal fix, lulz.

Am I living the American dream? Absolutely. I have been better off than my parents were at the same ages throughout my entire life, and way, way better off now than I was growing up. I love where I live (SE Texas will always be special to me but in retrospect it is a pure hellscape). Married to a beautiful, talented woman who gave me two wonderful children. I'm an extremely fortunate person and would not trade what I have to pull the slot machine on life again.

20. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I always wanted to invent the "Dark" bulb. Kind of like a light bulb but the opposite. Having a hard time harnessing little black holes to put inside the bulbs.

As for the OP's question. I'm happy with my current situation. I live in a beautiful place. Have a job I don't hate. Have 2 grown kids that turned out to be excellent humans. Get along great with my Xwife. Have a long distance girlfriend I can see as often as I feel like traveling without the daily commitment of being a full time partner and step parent. I teach yoga and I'm working on my wellness.

My only complaint is I'm a food addict and I let COVID wreck my relationship with healthy food and slowly put back on 107 of the 120 lbs I had lost in 2017, I'm 21 days into my new routine, counting calories, practicing yoga, and swimming laps every day. I'm already down 15lbs (or more I only weigh on Sunday Mornings.

All in all I'd say I'm living my dream as all of the items above are of my own doing.