1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you happy about Kevin McHale ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, May 27, 2011.

?

In the end, are you happy with Kevin McHale as the Rockets new Head Coach ?

1. Yes

229 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. No

187 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. CXbby

CXbby Member

If McHale ends up better than Adelman, or more specifically, if McHale and his coaching staff end up better than Adelman and his coaching staff, how in the world can firing Adelman still be seen as a mistake? For those of us who want to improve the team since we are Rocket fans that is. I'd like to hear you explain how that isn't mutually exclusive.

#241 CXbby, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If the roster remains as it is, you might have an argument. Do you seriously believe that will be the case? I don't.

"For those of us who want to improve the team since we are Rocket fans that is."

And this improves discussion how?

3. CXbby

CXbby Member

There are plenty of ways to measure coaching even with roster change. If there was truly no way to tell, then your solution would be to NEVER change coaches? How did we get Adelman in the first place? By replacing another great coach in JVG. Glad we clarified that firing JVG for Adelman, the winningest coach in Rockets history, was also a mistake, since they had different personnel and there is no way for us to tell.

Clarification. Since anyone with the Rockets best interest in mind would welcome a coaching change if it improved the team overall, and not call it a mistake. Personally I think you definitely have the Rockets best interest in mind. You're just having some problems articulating it.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Because the roster is usually always a work in progress, it just means that there's always going to be the people that say "but Adelman would have done better", much like those that have been saying that about JVG the last 3 years..

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't speak for Deckard
    but . . .
    we always make changes when things seem to JUST starting to click
    then we take two steps back . . .and start to build up again.

Rudy's last team. . . .would have made the playoffs [which would have save his job]
    but he got sick . . .and Less too the opportunity to 'let him go'
    Francis and the team were just gelling . . took a GOOD LAKER team to 5
    [4 of those games were very competitive and the 1st one was lost by inexperience]
    So we traded three starters for T-mac [PG, SG, PF]
    Two positions we struggle to replace his whole tenure
    Seemed to be doing ok . . . The transition from JVG to Adelman
    was a bit more lateral. JVG was doing well . . .but the O
    was not great . . .
    The Transition in the offense took some time to get use too
    and develope some players etc. . . .
    Then Adelman's was 'mutual agreed' . . .
    now we will take time to development new O and D

I guess in each bench mark . .. I felt we needed more time
    maybe even just one more year. . .
    1. Rudy T
    2. Stevie Francis/JVG Team
    3. JVG [I was more ready for him to go than the others but . .. i digress]
    4. Adelman

Injuries have played their parts in things . . . no doubt.

It will be an interesting season next season.
    I think the only way this team is better with McHale
    is with better personell. but that has hamstringed our last two coaches too.

Rocket River

6. jwayne

jwayne Member

I went to the season ticket holders reception tonight for McHale, he and Morey have a very interesting dynamic... Almost two peas-in-a-pod, very quirky, both of them. They took Q&A from those in attendance. McHale said he loves Adelman's offense, was fascinated by it during Adelman's Sacramento years. Said we will play with pace and to look for tenacity on defense. Said if the guys arent playing hard, he has a size 16 he will not be afraid to use. Said they will play loose and have fun... Did make mention that is how his Celtics played, referencing the "loose" term. Did make mention of the fact it will almost be a football type staff where we have a OC and a DC.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Thanks, will there be a special teams coach?

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A few thoughts:

1. I don't think it's right to say that we should not criticize Morey's decision because he's an "expert" or "professional." I think we can all agree to that some front office/coaches deserve criticism (David Kahn, I'm looking at you), even though they are supposedly "experts"/"professionals" paid well to manage basketball teams.

2. I was (wrongly, it seems) expecting that some of the people who were against Adelman being let go (like I was) would be happy with McHale's hire. This is because McHale is the most "old school" candidate and the last guy you'd picture as a "moneyball hire" if Morey was just drunk on power and thought he knew it all.

3. I think you can tell Morey and McHale don't necessarily think the same way: McHale thinks a coach has a significant role in making guys better, Morey seems to think "you are what you are" and a front office's got to go out and find better talent rather than simply hope a guy improves. I think it's worth watching how each of them brings a different perspective to the job, and am hopeful that the collaboration would be fruitful.

9. AFS

AFS Member

Maybe we can run offensive sets like these:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jlE2otADZGU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sorry, I didn't mean anyone in a NBA front office was above criticism. "Professional" and "expert" are hollow titles. I meant those who are actually professional and expert in their abilities. David Kahn wouldn't qualify.

I didn't even mean that Morey, who to me HAS proven himself over the last few years, was above criticism.

The ONLY thing I said was we should reserve our criticism for the decision to hire Kevin McHale.

Reason being he has yet to prove himself one way or another. And the known "facts" about his coaching ability are far too limited and inconclusive to base any legitimate criticism on. Again, skepticism is fine, and probably the most appropriate response.

The only reasons why I am pretty excited about the hire are 1. I give a lot of benefit of the doubt to Morey, which obviously many do not share(that's fine) 2. The general consensus of the blind mob have been fairly negative, which is encouraging for McHale's chances of becoming a runaway success.

#250 CXbby, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What if he hired Tony Barone?
    Would that be . . beyond criticism?

Rocket River

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't know. Why don't you go back a few years and ask whether Morey should receive criticism for drafting Carl Landry or Aaron Brooks.

Or ask whether he should be criticized for letting JVG go and hiring the "don't know what defense means" Adelman?

Or ask whether he should trade away the starting PG on a 50-win team for a 3rd stringer on a lottery team?

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I hope McHale succeeds beyond the wildest expectations for nothing more than seeing many of you running from these baseless assumptions of failure and hopping on the bandwagon later.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You can't seem to help yourself. So the 80% that voted to express being "unhappy" with the McHale hire are "a blind mob." You know, if you weren't so eager to insult those who disagree with you on this topic, portraying yourself as part of a "smaller mob" who see the light when all others are blind, you might actually see some real discussions about it. I suspect the majority here do intend to see how things turn out, once we have something besides the McHale appointment as head coach to base any opinion on. Your attitude is, "Why in the hell doesn't the majority agree with me?" That's not conducive to an interesting discussion, in my opinion, but rather a recipe for a shouting match.

15. CXbby

CXbby Member

You really think asking for skepticism instead of criticism when NOTHING IS PROVEN YET is out of line? That's trying to force people into my thinking?? Seems like plain common sense to me. Like I said, I actually like the hire, very much. I couldn't care less if the majority didn't agree with that. And I really don't expect many to. I am not looking for an interesting discussion either. That would be impossible, since you and your friends have already made up your minds the day Adelman got the boot. All I am asking for is a little grace period before the lynch mob bash the hell out of coach and management.

#255 CXbby, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  16. jamesjrbj3

jamesjrbj3 New Member

McHale

I'm not impressed, but then and again I don't think I would have been impressed with any of the names that they were putting out there. I would have gotten excited about a Mario Ellie or Sam Cassell but that's only because they were once beloved Rockets. Unless some of the players change and Yao comes back and has a decent year, much want change I don't care who the coach is. However the GM, DM has been above average thus far at bringing in talent, so let's see what he can do wit the roster in the off season and see what they seen in Kevin McHale. :cool:

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You either have a reading disability, are not as smart as I thought you were, or are being deliberately obtuse for reasons of your own. Those are three options. A fourth would be that you get some perverse joy out of portraying yourself as the wounded hero, standing up for Truth and Justice against the ravings of the "ingnorant mob." Seriously, you can't take criticism. The only way for you to deal with it, apparently, is to make it you against the world, except that it's a world of your own construction. Any good points you might have to make are being lost in the noise of attacking those who disagree with you.

"I am not looking for an interesting discussion, either. That would be impossible, since you and your friends have already made up your minds, the day Adelman got the boot. All I am asking for is a little grace period before the lynch mob bash the hell out of coach and management."

Get a grip. This is beyond tiresome. You're like the dog who wants to chase a stick, but won't let go of the damn thing. And get more creative if you're going to keep doing this. I'm an individual, not a part of some "mob." If you weren't so busy blowing your horn, you might realize that.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

The poll itself is basically the receipe for a shouting match. What else do you expect when the only choices are yes and no, with absolutely no other choice to make?

If there were more choices, like "I'll wait and see", "I'm on board but it's not totally hyped", "I don't like McHale, but I'll give him a chance", then perhaps we can see just how the breakdown of opinions here are. But as it stands, the poll makes it look like there are only ass-kissers and blind haters.

CXbby's posts are simply a result of a disharmonious thread, rather than the cause of it.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I don't know if it's the way that Morey and Les are selling him or if it's the way he presents himself, but i am liking this move more and more.

20. CXbby

CXbby Member

I'm glad you don't actually disagree with me on anything. As far as I could get out of that drivel. Good night.

#260 CXbby, Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2011