1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you happy about Kevin McHale ?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OlajuwonFan81, May 27, 2011.

?

In the end, are you happy with Kevin McHale as the Rockets new Head Coach ?

1. Yes

229 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. No

187 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Why do you think younger or more recent fans are more likely to be ok with McHale?

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Advanced stats is a new phenomenon, more easily accepted by the younger generations than old.

3. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I think he's going for the "younger fans don't remember McHale from his playings days" answer.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

If I have a tumor growing out of my neck, and I consult an expert for it, does that make me a sheep? Or should I be a thinker and try to dig the thing out myself?

As much as the Rockets Faithful think of themselves as experts in the field, they wouldn't know the first things when it comes to actual player evaluations, coaching evaluations etc. This place could do with a little less "thinking" and a little more "listening" to those who actually know what they are talking about. And I'm not talking about myself.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If only Morey understood this and hired a coaching expert, not a tv personality.

6. Mr. Clutch

It's not enough to disagree with the hire, we have to disparage the character of all those who agree with it.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

The coaching STAFF will be made of plenty of coaching experts.

8. Mr. Clutch

When I go to the doctor, I don't expect a guy who can talk good surrounded by expert nurses.

1 person likes this.
  9. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Morey's faithful are a sensitive sort ...

wonder about their age and they feel you've disparaged their character.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

If you had a tumor growing out of your mouth, you couldn't speak. If you had tumors growing on both hands, you couldn't type. If you were covered with wool, you quite possibly are a sheep, or live in a cold climate. This place could do with a little less "thinking" and a little more "listening" to those who actually know what they are talking about, and yes, I am talking about you.

Seriously, you might consider some thought before you post some of this stuff. I don't know what's gotten into you, but something clearly has. Get a laxative!

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

What has gotten into me is that all of a sudden a bunch of old farts decided they know more about basketball than the actual guys running the show. You know, the guys that have proven their worth time and again in the face of criticism for most of their moves. When was the last time management made a move and wasn't immediately criticized for it by the blind peanut gallery. Only to be proven right in the months following. You think Adelman was the best thing since sliced bread. Fine. You are still butthurt from letting him go. FINE. You and the rest of your Rockets Faithful have let that known since the first day Adelman walked out that door. We get it. But please, the continued incessant and unwarranted bull **** heaped onto management and the new coach of your Houston Rockets is getting tiresome.

You want to criticize your new coach? You want to criticize management for hiring your new coach? FINE. But how about waiting until his first losing streak before we crucify him. Hell, how about we wait until he loses his first ****ing game. Then be my guest and go at 'em. Until then, when NOTHING is proven yet. How about we STFU for a change. For you oldies, that spells Shut the **** up.

Deckard, when we win more games next year than this year, I hope you are still here to read some of the garbage you and your fellow Rockets Faithful have dumped onto this board. Maybe then you will learn that you don't know half as much as the people actually in charge. I doubt it though, since obviously none of you have learned a damn thing yet.

#231 CXbby, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Incredible. Clearly, you consider yourself fit to judge the rest of us on this topic in terms sweeping enough to keep the court of the Toy Box sparkling. You have it in your head that age is "the driving force" behind criticism of the firing of Rick Adelman and the hiring of Kevin McHale. 80% of the BBS, in numbers I haven't seen voting in a poll here in ages, aren't happy with this hire, yet clearly it's because of their age. How did you figure that out, genius? A pity that the poll doesn't have an accurate count of the age of those voting "Nay!" I have no doubt that a large majority is under 50. Hell, under 40. Get a grip, "old fellow."

As for the crack, "I hope you are still here (next year) to read some of the garbage you and your fellow Rockets Faithful have dumped onto this board," rest assured that not only will I be here, but I'll be cheering on the Rockets, something I've been doing far longer than you, being one of the "oldies" you just told to "shut the **** up." And if McHale turns out to be the cat's pajamas as a coach, I will happily say I was wrong, and Morey/Less were right about picking McHale as Adelman's replacement. What you won't see is me saying firing Adelman was the right thing to do. Nuance, however, now seems beyond your comprehension, with dumping everyone into "neat" categories more your current style.

Seriously, I don't know why your flipping out, but insulting those who disagree with you on this particular topic is not a way to keep friends, or win new ones. Not in my opinion. Try that laxative, because your thinking has become constipated.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yet . .some folx dismissed Adelman's assessment of TWILL . . and take D MOREY's
    Which one saw him more??? Who knows more about basketball? Who ran practices.

I think alot of people are not Sold on the Shepard just yet. [D.Morey]
    What have his moves done overall? As far as the WIN Column.
    D.Morey has had a free ride during most of his tenure.
    He has made some shroud moves.
    this off season is the 1st time he has been critisized alot
    and . . . . alot of people seem to be taking offense to it.
    the free ride could not last forever . .esp without results.

McHale is his biggest risk to date.
    Risky Moves get critisized . .. .nature of the beast.

a bit of this. I think the 'old timers' have been willing to give it a go
    but . . . How many years has it been without substanitive results?
    Maybe it is not understanding it . . . in a sense . ..
    KLowery - could old fashion talent evaluation have giving you the same insight as 'da numbahs'? Probably.

Do I agree with the hire? No.
    Is it personal? Maybe a bit . .. . i never liked McHale
    Is it based on his record as Coach and GM? yes. I don't like the fact that he did an under the table deal for Joe Smith. He lost Minnesota a bunch of picks during KG's years unless I am mistaken. That doesn't sit right with me.
    He is being presented as basically a yes man. Here to 'groom' the next big thing in coaching. [I'd rather the next big thing takes his lumps and coach now]

This could turn out well . ..

One more thing. no one is willing to give me a time frame
    Everyone is telling me. . . .it takes time. . blah blah blah
    If we get to the second round in 2014 or 2015 . . . under New Coach Finch
    would this have been considered the right way to do it???

I am very uneasy about the direction of the team in general
    this decision in specific.

Rocket River

14. CXbby

CXbby Member

The one that saw Kyle Lowry as a career backup.

I see Adelman and Morey both as experts in their field. Both with strengths and weaknesses. A shame they could not find common ground to collaborate. I am glad the new coach will be able to.

That is FINE. Like I said, skepticism is warranted. However that does not equal criticism. Especially blind criticism, which I see A LOT nowadays.

People, at least for me, are not taking offense to the criticism. I am taking offense to the lack of basis to the criticism. Especially when McHale's Houston career has yet to even begin. How do people criticize that when we have no idea how it will play out?

Again, risky moves should be scrutinized, not criticized. BAD moves get criticized.

15. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Nitpicking, but..

Does this mean that if McHale wins more games than Adelman did, you feel that Adelman would've won just as many if not more games had he stayed? And that if McHale under performs as compared to Adelman, then clearly Adelman would've done a better job?

Seems like a lose-lose scenario for McHale, no?

16. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

But when you vote for president, that's what you've gotten since JFK

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

Stop it LTF. Rationality has left this place. You are wasting your time. He stated it pretty clearly, firing Adelman was the wrong thing to do. No matter what. Just like firing JVG was the wrong thing to do. Just like firing Rudy T was the wrong thing to do. Never mind that we would have never gotten JVG or Rick Adelman if we didn't fire the guys before them. Nevermind that every single coaching hire this organization has gone through in the history of Les Alexander has made the team better, or at the very least fit the team better.

I tried to rationalize with these guys, especially the ones I liked like Deckard, but their **** has become like pulling teeth lately.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

No hard to answer. We'll never know, so it's irrelevant. Not a "lose-lose" for McHale. As I said, if he turns out to be a terrific hire, I'll admit that hiring him was a nice move by Morey and Alexander. Thinking at the same time that firing Adelman was a mistake doesn't exclude that at all. It's ironic that people like me are, essentially, being accused of having a closed mind about this subject, of going beyond the pale in criticizing the firing of Rick Adelman and the hiring of Kevin McHale, when the freakin' season isn't even over. That we should just "shut the **** up." (not something you said at all!) What is the reasoning behind that? No assistants have been hired, not yet, and that's a very interesting topic. McHale hasn't done anything yet as a Rockets hire, not that I am aware of. What we have to go by is history, and we have the ability here of expressing our opinions. Funny... I thought that was a huge part of why this BBS exists. What CXbby doesn't understand is the more he rants and raves to me and others about the criticism this move engenders, the more posts criticizing the move is he apt to receive. If someone slams me for an opinion, I'm liable to respond in kind, and that's not Rockets science, that's human nature. If he would relax a bit about the subject and climb off his high horse, there wouldn't be as much horse **** for him to step in.

19. CXbby

CXbby Member

Let me get this straight. If the team improves under McHale, firing Adelman would still be the wrong thing to do. So improving the team is not at the top of your priorities, keeping favorites around like Adelman is. Thankfully the guys in charge are more objective than that.

As for me responding, look around Deckard. I am not even directing it all at you. In fact you may be one of the milder ones. Guys like Hillboy and TheFreak make it a mission to crap all over management and the coach. Whatever. I'm done here. No more poop for me to step in.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You read my post and that's actually what you got from it? You couldn't have provided a better example of why I can't understand where the hell you're coming from. You are seeing what you wish to see.