1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Are you guys hoping Dwight opts out this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by astros123, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agree but the question is if we want him to opt out

2. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

I'd like to see a trade for Pau Gasol and another defensive center and a PG. Maybe Morey can package him and Lawson for the right deal. If not, Howard will likely leave when a team offers him max money. No sense in letting him go for nothing.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Howard is 10-10 with 14 rebounds.

Yeah need to cut the dead weight to free Clint Capela.

You people are idiots.

4. nwcougar

nwcougar Member

His shooting % is high becasue he is given alley-oop dunks. His FT % still sucks and he can't be counted on during crunch time since he's such a liability. Yes, he's a good rebounder but he doesn't demand any double teams offensively. Plus, he will not be counted on to play every night since he is injury prone. Max money? That's the discussion, right? Not whether he can contribute to the team. Of course he can, but he isn't worth max money, and Morey needs to decide if he can cash in his his name value to get something in return... if he demands the max. Bottom line is, we aren't going anywhere with this lineup. Howard can be replaced with the right trade. And though the season is yound it doesn't look like Lawson is a good fit.

5. thesonofsam

thesonofsam Member

Our defense is hot garbage without him. Would love to know what everyone's solution to that is when their wish comes true and Dwight leaves.

6. Mr. Clutch

The question isn't max money but whether we want him to opt in.

He is given alley oop dunks? I suppose anyone can finish like that?

Howard can be replaced? Give me a scenario. I'm sure big men like that are just freely available

7. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Lol get a TV DH still demand double teams. And he is been the best Rockets in crunch time aka the playoff even in one leg.

8. Mr. Clutch

23 and 14 in 31 minutes.

Let's get real here.

9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I only want him to opt out if he takes a paycut to accommodate another impact player this offseason.

If the injuries start to pile up on him even more so than last season and especially if he can't be healthy for playoffs, then I'm not sure I want him on the team moving forward, as his career will probably be over that point a la TMac. But he wouldn't opt out in that situation anyway, so it's a moot point.

10. ibm

ibm Member

i like dwight. but he's over his peak. the guy has high mileage on his vehicles. and its not like he ever had great offensive skills to begin with.

while he's here, let's just squeeze the last bit juice out of that orange. and i dont see him opt out or take any pay cut. why would he.

11. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

Please tell me who you think this trade could/should work for? Cause this might be the most ignorant thing I've read on cf

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Maybe it's because Harden is off, maybe its becauss Tjo and Dmo are out, but when Howard leaves the game we completely fall apart. Even though Capela clearly plays sell and is a positive, he is still planets away from replacing what Howard gives us.

13. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

you mean Marc Gasol

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Don't you guys remember how hard it is to get any stars to sign here? If we lose howard who do we replace him with?

15. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

NBA teams are looking forward to $1 billion in salary cap space in 2016

"To wit:

NBA teams could have a combined $1.07 billion in salary cap space for 2016 free agents, according to a review of current salary data.

NBA players are guaranteed to earn just over $3 billion total in the 2016-17 season.

Only $1.6 billion of that is currently committed, meaning NBA owners will need to spend an additional $1.4 billion on player salaries in '16-17 one way or another

The league's projections peg the 2016-17 team salary cap at a record $89 million thanks to the new TV deal. Assuming that all player and team options for 2016-17 are rejected*, every team in the NBA is currently under the projected salary cap by at least $11 million. There are three teams that could free up more than $60 million in cap space without making any additional trades or cuts."

How max salaries are calculated...
    [​IMG]

We will be fine.

16. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

He still has about good 2-3 years left.

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

If he can still dominate from time to time like yesterday, $20 mill/per for 3 year would be a reasonable compromise.

18. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Unless you get another rim protecting center (at least as good as Tyson Chandler) and have some space to sign another decent role player, you have to hope D12 opts in. If we lose him and are stuck with Capela playing starting minutes we will be in trouble because Capela is not there yet. He's gonna need another 2 seasons I think before he's ready to play starter's minutes.

19. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

EXACTLY!!!!!!

Capela is not ready for the big time.. DMo is a nice offensive option, but has no defense..

So as Air stated... WHO do you get to replace Howard....

I would have not problem with signing Howard for 3 years and keep splitting time with him until Capela is ready to take over...

T_Man

20. Newlin

Newlin Member

Everyone loves Dwight when he's healthy and on the court. The problem is that he's a part time player these days, and that probably isn't going to change in the future.

I think what most people would like to see is Capela develop rapidly into a solid starting center. This would give the Rockets options after this season. Also, there will be other free against centers possibly available after this season. They may not be as good as Dwight, but they may be good enough when sharing time with Capela. An Omer Asik type player, that can rebound and play defense, would do well. The thought of signing Dwight to a max multi-year contract is frightening. The thought of losing Dwight and having Clint as our full time center is also frightening.

One thing that may be in our favor is that Dwight seems to like it here. He's been on teams where he had no fun. So, maybe Dwight would rather opt in for next year instead of going to another team. Or, maybe he will be willing to stay in Houston for less than the max.