1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are you guys hoping Dwight opts out this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by astros123, Nov 1, 2015.

1. OpenLayup-Why3?

Dwight says a lot of things. He used to be saint god loving bible reading devoted christian, spreading the word of god, before coming to NBA. Then he started spreading female limbs and spreading certain liquids all over US.

2. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Someone will offer the max, I'm sure. He might be worth the max for a year or two for his defensive prowess, but common sense and predictive models like CARMELO show that within a year or two of that contract he would be an albatross with diminishing returns.

I'm hoping Capela takes off this year - he has all the tools, just needs to improve his defensive awareness and his versatility scoring around the rim. I've been impressed at his finishing ability.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I like Capela, but Dwight was already a beast at that age

4. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Not comparing the two at that age, necessarily, just comparing their relative utility going forward. But you are undoubtedly right - Capela's ceiling will never be Prime Dwight.

5. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

I think he's hurt more than they're letting us know, but I suppose I'm willing to withhold judgment. Those who think we're better off without him are dead wrong. Playoff Dwight is an entirely different animal. We have to have him patrolling the paint to have any chance at all. Maybe Capella can evolve into that guy, but I'm not seeing it quite yet. I see more Hasheem Thabeet part 2.

6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm not sure how injured he is . But he is worth his current salary if he is healthy for us in the playoffs and can give us 75% in the regular season . Capela is going to be a very good player and he is going to get a lot better the more minutes he gets . My preference is that Dwight opts in because I don't think he will be available for cheap in the free agent market. Obviously the best case scenario is that we win the chip and he opts out to come back with a discount; but how likely is that ?

7. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

No. Not at all. I hope he can stay healthy and give us a small discount, not squeeze out every dollar he can. The fact is we are weak at the 4 & 5 especially if Howard is constantly injuried.

8. OpenLayup-Why3?

Ignore 538 and their CARMELO crap. It shows that every single player in the league are on a downhill for the rest of their careers.

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I agree. Rockets know the real deal with his health. I think they are doing him a favor by keeping it under wraps. They can tell him "at least we didn't leak info about your bone on bone knee" as they smile while offering him $12 million per.

The question is can he do better somewhere else? He is probably the least liked star in the league and we all know how effective guys are when they are already injury prone, hit the bad side of 30 and have a game that is 100% reliable on explosiveness and strength.

Too bad. I like the guy and like him on the Rockets but it is what it is.

10. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

1) That's not true, it's actually a pretty decent predictive model and it is relatively consistent with the rise and fall of productivity in most NBA players

2) Having watched Dwight for most of his career (except the first couple of seasons in Orlando), it should be obvious that he's clearly not on an uphill or even stable trajectory. He was dominant in the playoffs last year but one quick look at this board would tell you that people weren't sure that he would be healthy or effective. He's been mediocre, at best, this year, and at worst he's been disastrous offensively. Now this is all based on a sample size of 4 games and he's shaking off a lot of rust. But none of this points towards him equaling or improving his performance from last year. As a Rockets fan, I think it's well within your right to be worried about how Dwight will hold up this year, and definitely if he's worth anything near a max going forward.

11. rockets13champs

Only if he takes a paycut

12. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

I want Joakim

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Dwight is playing for his next contract, and if he has a good year then you pay him. I havent seen the explosion and tenacity I'm accustomed to seeing from him yet, but the season is young. Im hoping that some of the rumor of team hiding true health issues and the reality of such a scenario, especially after going through the Tmac and Yao health declines.

14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I want Howard in here so we have a shot at a championship.

15. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Let's hope so.

16. OpenLayup-Why3?

Is it too soon for Dwight to pull a David West?

17. Mr. Clutch

7 points, 4 rebounds in the first

Man he sucks

18. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I dont think Dwight will ask for max and I font think Murray would give him the max. But it also depends on how far we get

19. Mr. Clutch

13 and 7 at the half.

Trade him!

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

No one says he sucks or to trade him.

Okay, maybe there are a few.

But if he's gonna be on the 39-year-old-Tim-Duncan-plan, then it's only "right" he takes the Tim Duncan paycut, right?

If one wants to pay him $20M-$25M-$30M, then good for them.